Cheap clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shawmutt

Aquarium Advice Addict
It's so depressing, I saw clownfish at the crappy lfs (I don't know why I keep finding myself there, today I needed an ammonia test kit and the other one didn't have it). They were on sale for $13 each. Now that the nemo thing is winding down all these poor clowns are going to die. Why couldn't Disney have done a movie on freshwater fish? I know, I know, fresh water would make a boring movie :roll: . I just wish I had enough money to start a saltwater tank so I could save them...they are really cute.

I wish I had a saltwater aquarium. Then I'd ged some, but their $25 at my lfs.

Ironically, Finding Nemo showed how much fish in their tanks just want to be free. I blmae adults and not so much disney for not figuring out what it takes to keep a fish tank for their kids. And of course all the stupid fish stores that sell Nemo kits. And Tetra for trying to sponge off the movie and saying that saltwater tanks can be set up in a matter of minutes.

wow... i gotta see that movie because the saltwater tank *I* used to have took me a week to set up :mrgreen:

I'd agree with tkos. Finding Nemo was really trying to prevent ppl from cooping up fish. But, well, Pixar shouldn't have hooked up with Disney if they really hoped to communicate a *message* rather than a dollar sign. Props to Pixar, boo to Disney. (Though parents really should take some responsibility!!!)

Still, this haunts me. I love keeping fish in my tanks, but feel guilty for taking away their freedom! I always rationalize it by saying that they're well fed, and have a MUCH greater chance of living when there are no predators around... But it still nags at me.

i agree - don't bother anthropomorphizing a human ideal such as "freedom" on a fish.

sure fish try to escape their tanks, but it's not because they are trying to get back to the ocean, it's because they are too stupid to realize there is no water on the other side of the invisible wall.

disney's plug about "all drains lead to the ocean" is a terrible thing to impress on the minds of young people. all drains in a 1st or even 2nd world country lead to a sewage treatment plant, where the nastiest stuff imaginable collects - surely not a safe haven for a fish!

I wouldn't exactly say fish are too stupid to realize that there is no water. But I also don't think that they are on some crazy adventure in search of freedom. Just like any living thing, fish like to roam and are curious. That is why they try and escape. Because if an oppurtunity presents itself, they just want to explore. They just don't know about the immenent death part.

If you are having a problem with fish jumping out, try moving 1 of 2 items in your tank once a week. If it's adventure they are looking for it gives it to them. :D

I didn't see the movie but seeing the trailer I thought I saw fresh and saltwater fish in one tank?

From my memory, all the fish portrayed in the aquarium were saltwater, and pretty accurate representations of real fish also.

The thing you have to think about, tho.

Is how many parents let their kids gode them into buying Clown Fish, only to take them home and put them into a half-gallon bowl with UNTREATED, UNSALTED TAP WATER! :evil:

I feel so sorry for some fish, Its just like the Dalmation craze after 101 Dalmations. Everyone just HAD to have a dalmation, until the cute wore off.

Just like after Harry Potter to, people were going absolutely MAD looking for pet owls for crying out loud!

its really a sad, sad thing for animals who are featured in popular movies..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom