Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Does tobacco smoke bother you in restaurants?
Yes 22 61.11%
No 14 38.89%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-03-2005, 06:54 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Freak

well if you cant use a mobile in youre car you shouldnt be able to smoke in your car, in fact you shouldnt be able to change the radio, or talk to a passenger but i do think smoking is dangerous in a car...

ok, so i'm against smoking, so i wont go into a pub that allows smoking... hmmm im never going in a pub again... so i loose a large chunk of my social life because i don't want to breathe smoke? That doesn't sound fair.

Offices are non smoking, supermarkets are non smoking, doctor surgeries are non smoking, shops are non smoking, take aways are non smoking, banks are non smoking, newsagents are non smoking, so why should pubs allow smoking? granted it's not illegal to smoke in these places but still...

I've just come back from a friends and i stink of smoke, they all smoke. Do i complain? No, it's their home, they have more of a right to smoke than i do to ask them not too. If it was my house would they smoke, no. It's not a public place, we all share that air we all have the right to breathe it uncontaminated. they should have dedicated smoking pubs - fine, that way you know everyone smokes. but where its a 75 - 24 split as it is acording to this vote at the mo then i'm sorry but it should be smoke free.

We ALL should be complaining about increased polution, we all should recycle, we all should look after our selves better... humans are probably the least healthy now than they have ever been... its technology that keeping us alive longer, not life style... how many americans are over weight? 70%? And what percentage are obese? not sure but wasn't it something like 25%? Oh god and the number of fat kids!! not just america but the uk too

regarding drink... thats just idiots. I drink fri & sat night, not every wkend but most when i've got the money. not once have i turned on my family friends or even ppl i dont know. alcohol is a dangerous thing, but it is down to the individual wether it will damage anybody else, smoking damages others not matter what.

Ban smoking in public. Grant special licences to pubs that meet the "healthy air" requirements and we wont have a problem. oh and while im saving the world, praps we could reduce the alcohol consumption limit to zero before diving too.

(i did just make up the "healthy air" thing... if only Tony B liked fish...)

Old 02-03-2005, 07:13 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism
ok, so i'm against smoking, so i wont go into a pub that allows smoking... hmmm im never going in a pub again... so i loose a large chunk of my social life because i don't want to breathe smoke? That doesn't sound fair.

Offices are non smoking, supermarkets are non smoking, doctor surgeries are non smoking, shops are non smoking, take aways are non smoking, banks are non smoking, newsagents are non smoking, so why should pubs allow smoking? granted it's not illegal to smoke in these places but still...

I've just come back from a friends and i stink of smoke, they all smoke. Do i complain? No, it's their home, they have more of a right to smoke than i do to ask them not too. If it was my house would they smoke, no. It's not a public place, we all share that air we all have the right to breathe it uncontaminated. they should have dedicated smoking pubs - fine, that way you know everyone smokes. but where its a 75 - 24 split as it is acording to this vote at the mo then i'm sorry but it should be smoke free.
Why do Banks allow smoking but not Pubs? I don't know, ask the owners. Certainly they have good reasons for their decisions.

btw, restaurants and pubs aren't public places. I don't know a single establishment that's owned by the government.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Old 02-03-2005, 07:20 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
Quote:
Ban smoking in public. Grant special licences to pubs that meet the "healthy air" requirements and we wont have a problem.
I think the point of this is lost, since when does freedom of some get outweighed by the freedoms of others? when it's regarding choices (not necessity)

no one is forcing you into a store, and as the owner of that store they should have the right to decide, but even thier rights are suppressed, if the owner chooses to not allow smoking, that is thier choice, and the guests will comply or go somewhere else.

It comes down to, is what they have what you need, the answer is no, so therefor you go in by choice and demand that they change thier ways to comply to what you want? not very fair.

(yes I know, I said I wasn't going to post, but I can't resist )
Old 02-03-2005, 08:28 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Addict

I see it as the relentless march of totalitarians. Every day freedom is chipped away, always with supposedly noble intentions. Its for your own good, for safety, for health, because we know better. There is some insatiable desire in most humans to try and control other humans. Where does it end? With smoking? With bicycle helmets? Motorcycle helmets? Seatbelts? Fast food? Guns? Religion? Politics? Race? Nationality? Pet ownership? (remember, dog ownership is outlawed in some places in china),Alcohol? It reminds me of the fable of the frog and the pot of water on an oven. If the water is hot, the frog jumps out. but slowly turn up the heat, and the frog stays put until cooked. So it is with individual freedom and choice in societies today. If governments tried to take it all at once, the people would resist. But do it one freedom at a time and tell them its for their own good, and people will give it all away without a complaint.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:47 PM   #55
AA Team Emeritus

Here's an interesting dilemma for you to consider.....the City of Dallas has banned smoking in all restaurants...which to a non-smoker is a wonderful idea! However...if I wanted to open a restaurant that catered ONLY to smokers (and advertised the fact quite clearly)...it would still be illegal. Why is it that there can't be a middle ground? It seems to me that would be an ideal solution....to have restaurants that were totally non-smoking and then to have others that were for smokers. The Smoke Gestapo want it their own way or no way at all!

-Joe
Old 02-03-2005, 09:28 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Every day freedom is chipped away, always with supposedly noble intentions. Its for your own good, for safety,
Sounds like you're describing the "Patriot Act"

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:37 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
Sounds like he's describing a lot of Acts/laws..
Old 02-03-2005, 09:48 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Addict

[quote="seafan"]"there is a simple answer to every problem... and its wrong"

I love this quote, but can't remember the source, can you? Its awefully Mark Twain-ish, but Twain used to complain that anything that sounded off-beat and clever was wrongfully attributed to him. Can you remember who is credited with it?
Old 02-03-2005, 10:20 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to alarmguy66 Send a message via Yahoo to alarmguy66
I believe people have the right to choose whether or not to enter an establishment that allows smoking.......ooops, they already do.

Hmmm...makes you think. If a non-smoking establishment was that popular, would we really be talking about controling actions by legeslation?? As long as you are aware BEFORE you enter that smoking is allowed inside the business, isnt it your CHOICE to enter? This is another attempt to control CHOICE, and isnt America about CHOICE? Dont you think if a business thought they would lose business by allowing smoking they would ban it? A business should be able to decide for itself whther to allow smoking, which is perfectly legal, by the way, even for a pregnant woman.

By the way, I am a non-smoker, but not a sheep. I refuse to follow the angry peasents in their mob.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:36 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to alarmguy66 Send a message via Yahoo to alarmguy66
OMG, I love this quote! How can you deny its simple reality?

"If there are smokers in a restaurant, then why are non-smokers subjecting themselves to a situation that will irritate them so much? Why not go to a restaurant that the owner has decided will be smoke-free?

To me, it makes as much sense as walking into a strip club and complaining about the naked women and lewd behavior. "

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com