Does tobacco smoke bother you in restaurants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mitche8359

Aquarium Advice Addict
Our city has passed a smoking ban in public buildings which includes restaurants. While driving to work the other day, the first day of the ban, a discussion on the radio led to this series of polls.

Do you support smoking bans in public places?

Our city has passed a smoking ban in public buildings which includes restaurants. While driving to work the other day, the first day of the ban, a discussion on the radio led to this series of polls.

Do you support smoking bans in public places?

I support smoking bans in public places to the point that places where children are permitted to go should be smoke free. A smoking ban in bars sort of bothers me, even though I'm not a smoker.

the bar at the bottom of the street is populated by 85 percent cops. most of them smokers. ya we will see cops smoking in the bar, without a doubt.

i think it should be banned in all public places. Full Stop.

I'm hoping were going to ban it soon, one of the major chain pubs has just announced that they are banning smoking in all there pubs. I don't think you should be alowed to smoke around food either.

I cant really see how any body can defend smoking in public places.

The right of being able to smoke should not be lost. In a bar/pub setting, and I don't know much about the UK, normally children aren't permitted to enter. Adults should be able to make up their own mind on whether they want to enter an establishment that allows smoking. Children should have the protection of not having to endure second hand smoke.

mitche8359 said:
Adults should be able to make up their own mind on whether they want to enter an establishment that allows smoking. Children should have the protection of not having to endure second hand smoke.

I agree.
The ban for smoking in restaurants happened here years ago. I quit smoking a few months ago but even while smoking, the ban on smoking never bothered me. I didn't smoke around my kids or in the house so I guess I was just accustomed to taking it outside. :?

I went out to eat last night and it was weird to see people standing out in the cold in front of the restaurant. I thought maybe they had a wait or something (on a Tuesday night?) then realized what it was. I voted against the ban, not because I smoke, but because I'm not a Smoker Nazi. As long as the smoking area is seperate enough from where I'm sitting, then I have no problem. Most of the places in Columbus did a pretty good job of that. Ideally I don't want to be around it at all, but I'm not going step on somebody else's toes when they're really not stepping on mine. There are plenty of convenient restaurants in the city.

But health care issues of those who had to work around other people's smoke was a driving force in passing the ban.

On a side note, it's interesting to know that townships don't have to adhere to the ban unless the whole state goes non-smoking; i.e. Clinton Township (and maybe Grandview, but I'm not sure on that one). So the whole Lennox area is still smoking...

If you want to smoke you should have to do it where people do not congregate. Its been shown second hand smoke is worse than smoking itself. The issue isnt just breathing the stuff it what it does to your hair and clothing after the fact. To a nonsmoker it can wreck havoc on the smell of ones apperal and the end result is wash the clothing as soon as you get home or end up having the entire hamper become funkafied by smoke and if its bad enough the smell ends up spilling into the room.

My wife has started smoking again and every day I make sure she knows my discust with it. She smokes outside. Be it 100 or 1 degree. Its outside to lightup around our house.

We are right outside of Hilliard which is just deciding on a ban or not. Hence most of the restaurants we visit are still smoking. Can't wait to go to one that doesn't ask if we want smoking/non smoking. To be honest I don't see a lot of people smoking in restaurants which is why I posted the other poll. In the bar areas usually.

This is a very similar post to the other smoking one...

I'll just quote myself from that post...

deli_conker said:
I went out to eat last night and it was weird to see people standing out in the cold in front of the restaurant. I thought maybe they had a wait or something (on a Tuesday night?) then realized what it was. I voted against the ban, not because I smoke, but because I'm not a Smoker Nazi. As long as the smoking area is seperate enough from where I'm sitting, then I have no problem. Most of the places in Columbus did a pretty good job of that. Ideally I don't want to be around it at all, but I'm not going step on somebody else's toes when they're really not stepping on mine. There are plenty of convenient restaurants in the city.

But health care issues of those who had to work around other people's smoke was a driving force in passing the ban.

On a side note, it's interesting to know that townships don't have to adhere to the ban unless the whole state goes non-smoking; i.e. Clinton Township (and maybe Grandview, but I'm not sure on that one). So the whole Lennox area is still smoking...

This is one of my biggest issues.

As you described you had to walk thru the smokers just to get to the resturant. Not a good PR item for the resturant. If people are going to smoke outside the establishment they should have to do it away from the enterance. Another aspect is if you are in a resturant that permits smoking have you noticed 9 times out of 10 you have to walk thru the smoking area to get to the bathrooms. Or if the resturant has a buffett its often directly beside the smoking section. Oh and the best one is in a resturant/bar when the hostess area is between the resturant/bar. Clearly most of the bar area is smokeladen and the end result is the inevetable bleedover into the entry way where smokers and non have to stand and wait for a table if its busy.

Why force us non smokers to walk thru this stuff? Make the smokers walk thru our clean air to get to the bathroom or buffet line.

The clothing issue is a big thing for us. A lot of times we won't wear our coats into a place that we know is usually smoky.

Keep working on the wife. ;) Looks like you have a little one so I'm glad to hear that you are ademant about the smoking outside thing.

I recall one time that we were seated in a non smoking section that was less than two feet away from a table that was in the smoking section with no barrier in between. We asked for a different table because the smoke was so bad. However, for the most part, I personally haven't noticed a lot of smoke in restaurants in our area.

I suspect that come spring, if a new resolution isn't passed to allow smoking in bars and restaurants again, a flurry of landscaping projects will be under way at local establishments to accomodate smokers, ie seating, ash cans, seperated from the main entrance. At least I hope so. Walking into a restaurant could get pretty nasty if not.

I am an ex-smoker, and it bothered me when I did smoke. Another point is that there are children around, and it is proven that second hand smoke it far more damaging to young lungs (ear infections, etc.).

From the other smoking post:
greenfish said:
It is illegal in California to smoke in restaurants and most public buildings.
It has been for quite a while now. It makes it much nicer to go places and not come home reeking of smoke. I know I am biased being a non-smoker but I think it is great! Now if they could just ban talking in the movie theater...... :wink:

Since you asked my opinion :roll: :roll: :roll:
Yes, I believe smoking should be banned in all public places regardless of the presence of children. It's sad and quite hypocritical to say we need to keep smoke away from children. How can we place an age limit that is really harmful to all? What a few of you said is why smoking will never be banned in the US. Money is more important to human life and health. I know, that's a harsh thing to say but that's the reality of todays society. Everyone knows how bad smoking is, there's no way to sugar coat it or say "it's not that bad". The government makes too much money from cigarette companies and is too worried about loss of jobs to even consider making smoking illegal. While money and jobs is important, to me it's not nearly as important as human life. I don't know what the statistics are, but if someone wants to hear them I'll be glad to look it up, but smoking kills a lot of people... KILLS. And yes, it's discusting. When I'm up to visit, I hate visiting people like my dad because I end up smelling for the rest of the day. Doesn't matter if he doesn't smoke while I"m there, the smell is still there.
Any place where a lot of people are together, it's just a bad idea to have people smoking. It IS a real health hazard...

Well, I could go on and on, but I know people are already rolling their eyes at me. Any smokers here, I still love ya, but before you come back here and start yelling at me, why don't you wait until you know someone that suffers and dies from smoking, or you are the person in a hospital bed with loved ones around you with tears in their eyes. Smoking is deadly and stupid. You don't have to agree, but I'm not wrong...
I'm going to duck out now before the tomatoes are thrown at me...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom