Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-27-2015, 08:43 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Thats not surprising tbh. If someone screws an injection up it could cause some major problems.
The antibiotics that were going to be prescribed were pills and on the free or cheap antibiotic list at the grocery store. They just didn't want them to spend their money elsewhere. We do it all the time for clients.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 02-27-2015, 09:08 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey W. View Post
The antibiotics that were going to be prescribed were pills and on the free or cheap antibiotic list at the grocery store. They just didn't want them to spend their money elsewhere. We do it all the time for clients.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Ahh gotcha. That is a bit screwed up

Old 02-27-2015, 11:51 PM   #43
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well, cruising along. Got another one.

Is it ethical to keep fish? As per the link below there are people out there with opposing views to us. Health department would check the lfs and I guess fish-keepers are somewhat self regulating(?) in that we try and help each other along??

http://www.peta.org/issues/companion...-tanks-thanks/
Old 02-28-2015, 12:15 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it is ethical to keep fish when you give them a better environment than the ones they had at the pet store. For example, if you get a betta that had lived it's entire life in a cup, and then put it in a ten gallon tank, that would be ethical. However, if you got a baby oscar that you put in a ten gallon, that would be very unethical.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:17 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also, I think people should only get captive-bred fish, because of they are caught in the wild, you are depriving them of everything they used to have.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:20 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think this is generally a very uncomfortable topic, because everyone on this forum loves fish keeping. Saying it is unethical will make most people doubt the thing they love doing. But I do think that is a very interesting question.
Old 02-28-2015, 12:40 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delapool View Post
Well, cruising along. Got another one.

Is it ethical to keep fish? As per the link below there are people out there with opposing views to us. Health department would check the lfs and I guess fish-keepers are somewhat self regulating(?) in that we try and help each other along??

http://www.peta.org/issues/companion...-tanks-thanks/
Lol.. peta. Might as well use Westboro Baptist church as an example
Old 02-28-2015, 01:02 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceFish42 View Post
I think this is generally a very uncomfortable topic, because everyone on this forum loves fish keeping. Saying it is unethical will make most people doubt the thing they love doing. But I do think that is a very interesting question.
it is a very intriguing topic. I started a thread like this about 8 months ago and it got up to near 20 pages before it got closed. I believe that wild caught fish can be kept ethically with proper tank size for natural behaviors, correct varied diet, and natural tank habitat... In fact many species would be gone without aquarists breeding them in captivity like the rainbow shark, many L-Number cats, and /white cloud minnows who are nearly extinct in their natural habitat. There is a place for wild-caught stock but only done right. Captive bred stock also require the things listed above as well and I believe it is a hobbyists duty to avoid Hybridized fish, dye-injected/painted fish, and man made species. However may fish are over harvested for the aquarium trade with no breeding projects under way and much more harm is done than good like in the case of many marine species. Many fish kept by hobbyists today like red tail cats and lima shovel noses and most blatantly the pacu should never be kept of sold for home aquarium because of their potential monster size. Many marine species are also not well suited to captive life and will often die of starvation. Supporting the capture and vending of these fish is unethical as many times most will starve to death in captivity. There is alot more underneath the surface to think about than you think within the hobby and I believe these questions are well worth the discussion. Bravo for bringing this topic up by yourself.
Old 02-28-2015, 05:34 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

I only have one fish that I know of that is wild caught and that's my rope fish. Sure if they were sold around here and the breeding habits were known I would get one of those. There are some fish that we have not successfully bred yet and so until that happens we are stuck with wild caught. Trail and error in the home aquarium till one day it works.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Old 02-28-2015, 06:30 AM   #50
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Lol.. peta. Might as well use Westboro Baptist church as an example

Yes, not the most informed link I've ever written.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com