Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2014, 07:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokuzachi View Post
I don't like euthanizing fish unless absolutely necessary, but sometimes situations arise where it's the lesser of two evils.

Release a non-native fish into the wild, or humanely kill and dispose of it? As much as I like the thought of said fish possibly living out its days in happiness in nearly unlimited space, I'd have to choose the latter because I'm a responsible fishkeeper.
Are there other alternatives beside releasing a non-native fish into the wild which is not something I would do or advocate?

Old 09-25-2014, 07:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noviceafter2yea View Post
I may not be the most experienced fish keeper, but I know that it is unethical to euthanize a fish for any reason than to relieve its suffering. You may disagree, but that IS the definition of euthanasia.

It is not to relieve the inconvenience of the fish keeper. When siblings don't get along, you don't destroy one.

Please, please, please find a humane way of resolving your problem.

This is a general plea, I have seen a lot of euthanasia for other than suffering posts and can't not say anything.

And I know this comes after a user posted to kill a Molly (?) because it's aggressive towards other fish and during feedings. I understand where you're coming from and was not happy seeing that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:19 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noviceafter2yea View Post
Are there other alternatives beside releasing a non-native fish into the wild which is not something I would do or advocate?
Yes, euthanize.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:35 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilpi View Post
Yes, euthanize.
If you need to have the last word in relation to me specifically, okay. Please get the last word in and you've got it.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:42 PM   #15
come get me tang police!

Even native fish are not supposed to be put back into waterways after they have been kept in home aquaria. Either find a good home for it, or euthanize.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:46 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemanone2003 View Post
And I know this comes after a user posted to kill a Molly (?) because it's aggressive towards other fish and during feedings. I understand where you're coming from and was not happy seeing that either.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.
Thanks. I just want to be clear that it isn't that one specific post which, unfortunately, Was bad timing on my part. I am sorry to that person. I can see how it looks that way, but I was not meaning to single anyone out.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:47 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post
Even native fish are not supposed to be put back into waterways after they have been kept in home aquaria. Either find a good home for it, or euthanize.
Yes, native fish shouldn't be put back either.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I don't know of anyone in this forum dumping fish into a waterway, river or lake, I have not read once here in Aquarium Advice of such occurrence and it is definitely not encouraged.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've heard some not so good stories about lion fish now being a problem in US waters due to being released.

Pleco's I guess get released a lot too (based on some reading I've done) because they get too big and people don't know what to do with them. And/or they start attacking other fish in the tank... Before they die miserable deaths if they are in a cold climate, they cause a lot of problems in the local ecosystem where they are released too.

If people can't rehome or learn about the fish they are getting, why get fish? I know things happen, but, ugh. Just frustrates me. Euthanizing them in as a kind manner as possible should be done if rehoming is not possible. Fish should never be released!
Old 09-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon14 View Post
I've heard some not so good stories about lion fish now being a problem in US waters due to being released.

Pleco's I guess get released a lot too (based on some reading I've done) because they get too big and people don't know what to do with them. And/or they start attacking other fish in the tank... Before they die miserable deaths if they are in a cold climate, they cause a lot of problems in the local ecosystem where they are released too.

If people can't rehome or learn about the fish they are getting, why get fish? I know things happen, but, ugh. Just frustrates me. Euthanizing them in as a kind manner as possible should be done if rehoming is not possible. Fish should never be released!
Agree. Have you ever been in a lake or waterway in south Florida? You wouldn't believe what I've seen there.

Tags
euthanasia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com