Euthanasia is not for convenience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Overall, I agree with you very much that when people take on responsibility for a living being they should do what they can to make the situation work and I honestly do not like euthanasia in many cases of convenience. That said, I think it was summed up well before by saying it can be the lesser of 2 evils in some cases. When you only keep small fish though, it rarely comes up because it is generally very easy for people to rehome small fish like mollies and tetras. It seems to be more of an issue with bigger, more aggressive types of fish.
But... jet is correct about breeders culling. Also, even if you don't use feeder fish, there is fish meal in fish food. I am not entirely sure how it could be justified to say that feeder fish are more cruel for captive feeding than the process of fishing which gives us the fish used for the meal in fish food. That said, I choose not to keep species who would require live feeders because I don't like it. But, I suspect I am being somewhat hypocritical here. I mean, if every fish ground up for fish meal was humanely euthanized, this would be a different debate. But, they are not. I still don't like feeding live animals to other animals in glass boxes though, personally. JMO.

I think it is usually ridiculous to euthanize if you just cant take care of the fish. Aquariums are expensive and people, like myself, will always take cheap/ free pets!

I agree with original poster. No animal should be killed just because it has become inconvenient for the owner. I also do not like the culling of dogs or other pets because they do not fit a breed stander A women close to me flushed several expensive fish after only having them for a few months. She got bored and even though she knew I kept fish and often rescue animals she choose to flush them down the toilet. I see too many people around me who dump or flush animals when they no longer feel like caring for them. My local pet store often takes in unwanted animals and rehomes them if a customer decides they no longer want them. My pets live to very old age. My cats have lived to be 20. My oldest dog was 22 when she died and my other lab mix just died at 20. I currently care for around 30 feral and abandoned cats, 6 dogs 3 tanks of fish, and one corn snake. Not to mention helping people with injured wildlife.

As for feeder animals It is part of nature. Every creature eats something. My snake eats frozen mice. Her precious owner fed her live animals and I do not agree with that. I have seen cat and dog owners who feed their animals vegan food and insist it is all right for them and they are healthy and happy without eating meat. Not what nature designed. If you take in an animal you should be willing to feed it what nature designed ti to eat.

I agree with original poster. No animal should be killed just because it has become inconvenient for the owner. I also do not like the culling of dogs or other pets because they do not fit a breed stander A women close to me flushed several expensive fish after only having them for a few months. She got bored and even though she knew I kept fish and often rescue animals she choose to flush them down the toilet. I see too many people around me who dump or flush animals when they no longer feel like caring for them. My local pet store often takes in unwanted animals and rehomes them if a customer decides they no longer want them. My pets live to very old age. My cats have lived to be 20. My oldest dog was 22 when she died and my other lab mix just died at 20. I currently care for around 30 feral and abandoned cats, 6 dogs 3 tanks of fish, and one corn snake. Not to mention helping people with injured wildlife.

As for feeder animals It is part of nature. Every creature eats something. My snake eats frozen mice. Her precious owner fed her live animals and I do not agree with that. I have seen cat and dog owners who feed their animals vegan food and insist it is all right for them and they are healthy and happy without eating meat. Not what nature designed. If you take in an animal you should be willing to feed it what nature designed ti to eat.

I completely agree with everything you as said.

That woman doesn't really care very much about animals in my opinion if she "got bored" and flushed the fish. :'( That's heartbreaking!

My wife is one of the people who would dump animals or not learn anything about how to care for them. Until she lived with me she thought fish in aquaiums only lived for about six months because thats all hers ever lived for. She has taken in a cat and a dog then got rid of both of them when she didn't want them anymore and told me about how she let her kid's mice then hampsters go when they were at school and told them they must have escaped. All of these things have come up at different times and have lead to several arguments as I told her those things were wrong.

My wife is one of the people who would dump animals or not learn anything about how to care for them. Until she lived with me she thought fish in aquaiums only lived for about six months because thats all hers ever lived for. She has taken in a cat and a dog then got rid of both of them when she didn't want them anymore and told me about how she let her kid's mice then hampsters go when they were at school and told them they must have escaped. All of these things have come up at different times and have lead to several arguments as I told her those things were wrong.

Wow I'm sorry to hear that, that's terrible :( I hope you can help turn her around. That's really sad :(

Back
Top Bottom