Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-16-2005, 04:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Rach101
Fantasy Stories

I was just wondering what are parts of fantasy stories everyone liked, and what were the essentials to a good fantasy story, aswell as any good fantasy books you may have enjoyed.

Old 12-16-2005, 04:31 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Favorite Authors/series

Robert Jordan/Wheel of Time series
Terry Goodkind/Sword of Truth series
Raymond Feist/Midkemia series

Kind of hard for me to say what "parts" I like the best, or what is essential to a good story other than I like alot of detail and a lengthy story. (although Jordan has carried that concept way too far)

Old 12-16-2005, 09:55 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis!

Aquariums are like jello - there's always room for more.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
One essential to any story is believable characters.
So many characters are so overplayed that I usually lose interest because I've read about them in other books. May have had a different name or been in a different situation in the other book, but the character(s) is still identicle. Come up with something original. There's only so many Star Wars and Lara Crofts that I can take.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:03 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Rach101
Quote:
One essential to any story is believable characters.
So many characters are so overplayed that I usually lose interest because I've read about them in other books. May have had a different name or been in a different situation in the other book, but the character(s) is still identicle. Come up with something original. There's only so many Star Wars and Lara Crofts that I can take.

Excellent! What other characters do you think have been overplayed? Personalities, etc.

Also what point of view do you like to read.
So far I've been leaning towards third person limited rotating, any thoughts?
Old 12-19-2005, 03:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Fantasy, or fantastic?

Fantasy

Robin McKinley
Jane Lindskold

Fantastic

Tanya Huff
Jim Butcher

I read more SF than fantasy, probably for the reason that deli_conker pointed out. So much of it feels the same, with the same characters, doing the same things. McKinley's rewritten fairy tales are fairly good (though Spindle's End needed another rewrite and a serious edit), and Lindskold has a great series that I really need to read more than the first book of. As for fantastic, Huff's Vicki Nelson series is great, because I've visited Toronto, and I can totally believe her world, and Butcher has fun with his definitely-not-perfect-and-all-seeing wizard in Chicago. I like stories I can relate to, with characters that do or are something new and interesting, but that are well written. Books with too many POV changes, bad sentence structure, or huge plot holes that are visible on a first cursory read are just a waste of my time, really. I don't enjoy reading them. I should really read David Weber's fantasy, since I enjoy his SF so much...

V-
Old 12-19-2005, 03:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

pretty much anything by R.A. Salvatore (especially the Dark Elf novels that feature Drizz't)
Old 12-19-2005, 04:02 PM   #8
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
I am particularly fond of stories that occur within or alongside the 'normal/real' world, such as most wriiten by Charles deLint, Tom Dietz, etc.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Old 12-27-2005, 07:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to kyektulu
Im a HUGE fantasy fan!

I have been all my life, my fave authors are:

Margret Weis, tracey hickman, david eddings, david gemmell, maggie furey, raymond e. fiest, terry goodkind, chris bunch, melanie rawn... oh goodness too many to mention.....

Rach101 if u want a good fantasy forum come and check out

http://www.chronicles-network.com

its my fave fantasy/sci fi forum, everyone is great there.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Krektulu lists some very good authors. For quite a few years, I read every fantasy/sci-fi book I could get my hands on. Then I began my career, and then a family, and my free time disappeared. But I always seem to find my way back to Tolkein. He just did such a fantastic job with Lord of the Rings that few seem to match up. Several years ago, after a few attempts, I finally read through the Dragonlance Chronicles (Weis & Hickman). What had stopped me before was that it just seemed like a cheap Tolkein ripoff that someone penned just after playing Dungeons & Dragons. However, after making myself read the first 50-100 pages, I got hooked and found the whole series to be quite good.

But back to one of the original questions: What are the essentials of a good fantasy story? For me, there is only one: If you can write good power metal songs about it, then it's a good fantasy story.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com