Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2006, 11:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Re: fear factor and piranahs

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
Yeah, this was early last year or the one before that. I heard it on a local radio morning report, heck, it might not even be true....Actually, that 1st on sounds ALMOST like it. But I can almost swear they were suing over the fact that the State hadn't given out enough licenses to keep the deer population in check.....
If it wasn't true, it would be on snopes.com. They are pretty good at presenting all the facts, but they wouldn't want to publish a true story with such a conservative bias. (Always read the full scope on Snopes instead of just looking for the True/False line.)

From what I read, PETA seemed to be complaining that the state had been unnaturally bolstering the population for the enjoyment of hunters. I'm not sure how that goes in thier view, deer will populate pretty well in the absence of predators. There are not many wolves left on the east coast...

Old 07-31-2006, 11:36 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic
Here's what PETA thinks about us, btw: http://peta.org/mc/factsheet_display.asp?ID=30
Well, at least most of what they say after "If you already have fish," is ok. I don't know about the companionship thing, you really need to research individual fish rather than making blanket statements. The pH comment is also wrong, we all know that stability is more important than target numbers in fish health. We also tend to DIY the vet thing unless it's a tumor on a large fish that needs to be operated on.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:47 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mosaic
I thought the filter comment was kinda weird, but really, I agree with most of it. It seems like they really have problems with goldfish and bettas in tiny bowls, which most of us do too. But you can't tell me that fish that are comfortable enough to spawn in the aquarium are suffering. Ultimately it comes down to the individual to take care of what they have accepted responsibility for.

I always laugh when they complain about breeding varieties that would have never occurred in nature, for any type of pet. Well, in captivity they live much better than they do in nature. While they may not survive out in the wild, they can thrive with us.
I remember they were protesting efforts to breed a cat that wouldn't cause allergies, because breeding for traits also tends to make genetic problems crop up. Well, yeah, but we've only been doing since the dawn of civilization when we first domesticated animals. They're still doin ok.

55g: (Mostly) African riverine species: Alestes Chaperi, breeding pair of Kribs, and rhino pleco
30g: Newly established reef tank
10g: Planted but fishless
5g: Unplanted with various snail species
2.5g: Heavily planted with betta.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:07 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr funktastic
actually there waya huge thread on this that got locked becasue of a huge argument on it. it was all kinda dumb actually. but people always have opinions right
You are correct Mr. Funk. It was locked because members decided to argue with each other rather, violating the UA, than simply stating their opinions on the topic in hand.

Looks like this one isn't anywhere near that...keep up the good work.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:29 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosaic
I always laugh when they complain about breeding varieties that would have never occurred in nature, for any type of pet.
Some of those varients just look too unnatural to me, like the bubble eye goldfish. Many of these odd breeds do have health problems. I'm not going to tell you not to keep them though, these mutations popped up on thier own, it's not like the first person to have a popeye goldfish inflated him with a bycicle pump. He just provided the poor little mutant with a good home and a mate. That goldfish was lucky, that it was spared as interesting rather than culled as a damaged fish.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:27 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
The pacu stunt.. those fish are uber hardy, I wouldnt doubt all of them survived fine but its still no excuse to do silly stuff with them. Or even remove them from south america were they belong IN THE WILD!! Well, Ive seen some oudoor ponds in tropical areas that looked cool with them but thats about it.

I would have thought PETA would want the government to release more wolves and other deer preditors that used to be prevelent before man killed them off rather then issue more hunting licences (or just more deer tags to the hunters)
Old 08-02-2006, 05:34 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just my two cents, but did anyone think that the temperature of the water was to maybe calm down the piranahs?
They would not want to eat in these conditions.... hence why the pig guts was still on the bottom. (unless they were fed first)
I'm not agreeing with what they did, nor did i see it to really judge the circumstances.
Yes, i think it should have had filtration but we dont know how long they were in there.
I heard they can get caught and survive in puddles of water?
Yes, i think it should have been at an adequate temp, but does anyone know what these fish endure in the wild? And for how long? weeks? months?

It would have scared the crap out of me seeing a pool full of these fellas, i was scared to put my hand in a tank with two large oscars.

Don't get me wrong i still don't agree with what they did.... JM2c
Old 08-02-2006, 06:50 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think you're right about the cold water. It would drastically slow thier metabolisim. Not something they encounter in thier native enviroment, but not enough to kill them either.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:53 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

i agree that the situation must have been controlled somehow. otherwise the piranha would have taken chunks out of the contestants. as for how long they were in the water.... i would think a decent amount of time. they had to be placed in the tank and fed then the pig stuff put in then camera crews set up then contestants arrive and then they each have to wait there turn and go in and then the stunt has to be reset for the next person. then after all that they have to be taken out and returned to whever they got them from. i am sure that some of these fish may have encountered something worse in the wild but that doesnt make it any more right. i am sure a dog gets hurt in the wild too but we treat it with love and care in the house but it doesnt make it right to hurt the dog every once in a while becasue it would have had it worse living on its own. trotty - i would rather stick my hand in the piranha tank than the large oscars lol. oscars can be really nasty.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:19 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr funktastic
i am sure that some of these fish may have encountered something worse in the wild but that doesnt make it any more right. i am sure a dog gets hurt in the wild too but we treat it with love and care in the house but it doesnt make it right to hurt the dog every once in a while becasue it would have had it worse living on its own. .
Can't argue with that!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com