First the tattoos now this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm not usually one to rant and rave on the off-topic but this just kind of upset me. I was surfing through Monsterfishkeepers and came across an article about fish piercing. Seems many were upset over this topic and I can see why. Apparently dying and tattooing fish isn't enough for people anymore, the new fad for fish is to pierce them!

ForumRunner_20121008_174515.jpg

Why can't people just be satisfied with the natural beauty that fish have? Why is there a need to change that? Not to mention the health hazards for the species as well as the human performing said cruelty.
This is just wrong.

pfish.jpeg

*please note that I do not own these images, they were taken from a piercing blog online that was shortly taken down due to the many reports*

My first reaction is disgust, but then I'm left in a conundrum. I feel like a hypocrite for being so appalled by a fish piercing yet totally fine with the fish themselves. These bulbous, bulky, and misshapen goldfish are a far cry from their natural counterparts, but since they are so common in the industry we often overlook the 'original' balloon fish.

So breeding deformities into fish lines may be a bit different than putting some metal in it's face, but there are a lot of similarities there as well. *shrug*

Just something else to get attention and try to be cool. I don't do tats or piercings but anyone who wants to do that to themselves ... knock yourselves out. But to do it to an animal? That should be a felony.

jetajockey said:
My first reaction is disgust, but then I'm left in a conundrum. I feel like a hypocrite for being so appalled by a fish piercing yet totally fine with the fish themselves. These bulbous, bulky, and misshapen goldfish are a far cry from their natural counterparts, but since they are so common in the industry we often overlook the 'original' balloon fish.

So breeding deformities into fish lines may be a bit different than putting some metal in it's face, but there are a lot of similarities there as well. *shrug*

This is very true and well said, I kinda figured you would be armed with a reply such as that lol was almost anticipating your reply David.
It just kind of took me off guard seeing the piercings though, I never thought that people would evolve to the level of piercing their pets. Who in the world would actually take the time and effort to pierce a fish?
Not my thing I guess.

Stainless steel, same idea when someone gets their tongue pierced it doesn't rust. But my thought is that other fish would pick at it thinking its food.

butterfly_koi said:
Stainless steel, same idea when someone gets their tongue pierced it doesn't rust. But my thought is that other fish would pick at it thinking its food.

True with the stainless. But wouldn't the compounds in the metal mess with the water chemistry? Even with normal pwc's?

That's terrible
Words cannot describe what I'm feeling right now. Can the fish even open it's mouth?

This makes me feel so sick I was disgusted enough about the fish tattooing what the heck is wrong with people! No respect for living creatures that feel no less pain than any other being. And we are meant to be the superior race? Animals don't exploit each other for their selfish satisfaction and greed. They do what they do in order to survive not to inflict needless suffering. Humans really have destroyed the real meaning of "the circle of life" it's just the circle of death and suffering for so many creatures that share our world. I'm going to stop as im getting into so much more than just my disgust in what is being done to these poor fish.

I'm from the view of... My mother brought me up not to say anything in this type of situation. You know family site and all.

All though if we were in person you would hear a pretty good rant.

Ohsnapitscharity said:
How many of you all go fishing? When you catch a fish it is the same thing as piercing a fish it's just not as permanent. Not saying I support it just making a point.

There is a difference between the piercings and fishing. I am not going deep sea fishing from my couch and you don't often see angelfish on a hook. But let's all stay on topic here guys, this thread isn't about fishing, ethical eating, or how we catch and release fish it's about opinions on the piercings.

I get that many have different views, heck I have a friend that would love to have a tattooed fish if she could get her hands on one it's just not for me.
Jeta brings up a good point about how we basically deform our fish over the years and years of breeding that most of the fish we own may or may not even be close to the true fish. It doesn't seem like a far reach from physically putting metal into one.
Look at the Balloon Molly for example, that in itself is a huge deformity that is continually bred from day to day to have a curved spine and yet we celebrate it's cuteness on a normal basis.
Is tattooing your fish wrong?
In my opinion yes
Is piercing your fish an ugly waste of time?
In my book yes and it should be stopped but it does seem a bit hypocritical to support genetically mutating fish and not support physically harming them. Because that is what the deformity is doing to the fish, physically harming them.

But all in all to each their own I guess, I'll just stick with the plain ole fish that I have metal and ink free :)

I bet most people think this is cool since "fish don't feel pain". If it was a dog things would be much difference. This is animal cruelty and just sickening.

I am an owner of 'man-made' fish and the ethics of these creations is another topic for discussion altogether but to cruelly subject a fish to permanent piercings is beyond reprehensible. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom