Fish logbooks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone. Does anyone keep a fish logbook, or record sheet? I do! i put in stuff like weekly pH,nitrates,nitrites, ammonia, hardness, etc. I also put in little stories about my fish... what? dont laugh at me! so i give them imaginary personalitys, so what!!!

Anyway, its also useful to put down dates of when you got new fish, or decorations, etc. And any unusual behavior. Yay logbooks!

We have 4 tanks and my husband, the computer nerd, created a wonderful excel spreadsheet to keep our records. We do weekly water changes and record ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temp. The spreadsheet shows how much Prime needs to be put in which tank depending on amount of water being changed. We record filter component changes or cleanings, when new stock is added, the requirements our various species have for temp, pH and so on. Any loss of fish are noted. It's really a great spreadsheet.

I thought I was the only one to create an excel spreadsheet to keep records about my tank. I guess I'm not as abnormal as I thought I was. Lol Now I have to show this thread to my wife as proof I'm not the only one who does this as she says.

I have a spiral notebook
And an app on my iPhone :)

I thought I was the only one to create an excel spreadsheet to keep records about my tank. I guess I'm not as abnormal as I thought I was. Lol Now I have to show this thread to my wife as proof I'm not the only one who does this as she says.

You're not the only computer geek in town, you know..... :bb:

When you're considered sane or normal, that's when you've got a BIG problem that you're obviously hiding well. :brows:

I have a spiral notebook
And an app on my iPhone :)

What app do you use?

Would anyone mind sending me a copy of your spreadsheet please? I'm having trouble getting one going and could use an example/guide. Thanks.

Right now I only have a few notes but I want more detail and consistency.

Actually none. I am really busy right now so don't have lots of time on-hand! Plus before I got the test kit (which was a month ago) I didn't record numbers because, well, did not know them at the time! Maybe when I have free time I can try once in a while.

If I was using an app on my Phone I'd be waiting for the iOS 5 update, it's free and comes with a Reminder app that reminds you what to do.

Buffy said:
What app do you use?

Would anyone mind sending me a copy of your spreadsheet please? I'm having trouble getting one going and could use an example/guide. Thanks.

Aqua planner pro. I have 7 tanks so it's coming in handy. It alerts for pwc or whatever else u need. I think it was created by someone here ( that's what I was told )

What app do you use?

I sent you a PM with a link to the Excel spreadsheet I base my logs around.

When I had my tank set up (gave my fish to an lfs cause I never cycled like every other newbie), I was keeping both an Excel sheet, as well as a materials list, and a word document for a journal. When I re-do my tank in a week or so, I'm just gonna use a computation notebook instead (has graph paper) for both my test results and my journal. It's nice to have the info to look back on; you can find out exactly what happened to cause your problems and prevent them from happening again in the future. Plus in school we have to keep an engineering log book so I'm used to it :p

@jfouldsy - I got it thanks and I think I sent you thanks twice LOL, looked at post from phone last night but look at file today on pc lol

@Flossie - I've been reading alot about that app but I can't download yet as they don't have an android version. :-(

Kool thread(y) My logs go back 30+ years there FW but my SW logs go back 11yrs. I rite down every thing even prices of things eq. livestock sand salt you name it. It's a big help when things go bad.

Buffy said:
@jfouldsy - I got it thanks and I think I sent you thanks twice LOL, looked at post from phone last night but look at file today on pc lol

@Flossie - I've been reading alot about that app but I can't download yet as they don't have an android version. :-(

Awww man that stinks :((

i dont,but after reading this,i think i should find a notebook

Back
Top Bottom