Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-19-2012, 05:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Fish pecking at other fish

I was curious about why fish peck at the body of a dying fish. Does anyone know?
Is it possibly because it's natures way of "cleaning up"? It's just sad because the poor dying fish gets bombarded with several others and doesn't even have the strength to swim away.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Id say so, most fish are scavengers and will go for the easiest meal they can. Its better not to let them eat a dead fish for fear of transferring diseases that could of infested the dying one.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ocminpin Send a message via Yahoo to ocminpin Send a message via Skype™ to ocminpin
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmoss1992
Id say so, most fish are scavengers and will go for the easiest meal they can. Its better not to let them eat a dead fish for fear of transferring diseases that could of infested the dying one.
I've got mass juvie Molly losses going on in a tank. Started out with around 80 down to 17... Trying different things. No one on here seems to know why either. I have a whole thread on it.
I pull them out as they die and try to get them separated if they're pecking/eating the ones that are still alive but almost dead..
Old 01-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #4

Though mollies are listed as community fish I have a Molly that's gangster. He is all black with a thin golden yellow tip of his top fin.

I think you may have a male in your tank that is killing the other males or weakening them. Watch them to eliminate this as an option.

As for 80 Molly's in one tank that's a lot of dirty water if you are not doing half water changes every other day your water quality isn't good. You need airated clear water and with 80 fish 20 eat well the rest compete for food. Try floating and sinking food as well. Good luck

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2580757365.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	72061

I got my 2 mollies in the same frame

He killed every other female Molly I put in there except the yellow girl you see on the left he is on her every min. He bully's any other male I put in untill they're gone he picked off my swordtail
Old 01-20-2012, 09:50 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fish will also attempt to eliminate a dead or dying fish as a safeguard to keep their environment bacteria-free and safe.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD1
Though mollies are listed as community fish I have a Molly that's gangster. He is all black with a thin golden yellow tip of his top fin.

I think you may have a male in your tank that is killing the other males or weakening them. Watch them to eliminate this as an option.

As for 80 Molly's in one tank that's a lot of dirty water if you are not doing half water changes every other day your water quality isn't good. You need airated clear water and with 80 fish 20 eat well the rest compete for food. Try floating and sinking food as well. Good luck

I got my 2 mollies in the same frame

He killed every other female Molly I put in there except the yellow girl you see on the left he is on her every min. He bully's any other male I put in untill they're gone he picked off my swordtail
These are 1/2" juvie fry.. And I have some sort of mysterious sickness going on. They get fed well as they always do. 2-3 times a day and i do a 50-80% change every other day. Everyone was fine until 2 wks ago.

In my main tank I kept 5 females & 1 male.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB
Fish will also attempt to eliminate a dead or dying fish as a safeguard to keep their environment bacteria-free and safe.
That's what I was guessing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com