Fish shipping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karegg

Aquarium Advice Activist
When buying fish, do you recommend purchasing them online and having them shipped or heading to the LFS? How does shipping fish work?

Good question. I'm interested to learn about fish shipping as well. I've bought plants, but never fish. For livestock, I'd go to a trusted LFS. If they look healthy and have what you want (<--big "if"), why not make it less stressful for them and save on shipping costs?

I think a lot of it depends on the shipper, original health of the fish, shipping time and acclimation. I have had mixed results from different shippers. For example, I tried marinedepotlive and will never order from them again. I have used thatpetplace.com and the service was great and fast.

I also wanted to add, that I don't get any livestock delivered during the colder months.

Well, my question was more to satisfy my curiosity - how do they actually ship the fish? Zip-locs surrounded by bubble wrap? Haha :eek:

Typically, they will double bag them and put them in a styrofoam container and then in a shipping box. During the colder months, they will add heat packs. I haven't ordered from a lot of places, but that is how they have been shipped to me.

scott is right.....I wouldn't order during the cooler months. I ordered a large derasa clam and it essentially froze to death.

I've also ordered corals and clams from thatfishplace.com and had really good luck.

HTH

I've had better luck with private partys then big suppliers, The private party tens to take better care of the fish cause it's there fish and not just stock to them. I come from a small town where going to a LFS means high dollor for what I call crap stock. But shipping fish that's health and throw a private party is much better and somtimes (9 out of 10 ) faster. I've had bettas come to me 75 to 150 at a time wraped in wet newspaper and had 50 times loses then baged stock.

Just wrapped in paper?!?! Wow, I wouldn't order from that place, ever again.

I have had fish shipped to me once, I found out the hard way that they weren't the greatest place to order from but essentially what is supposed to happen is like roka64 said.
Always order priority overnight or pick them up at the airport for the fastest delivery possible. Sometimes you can have the package held for pickup at the FedEx Hub if you are close enough and that will help ensure their survival. :)

Whenever possible, you should check the LFS IMO as shipping fish is expensive but if you can't find what you are looking for then make sure you read lots of reviews before ordering DON'T go by the reviews someone posts on their own website.

Post in the review sections on as many forums as you can find to ask about that seller chances are someone has had exp with them and can comment. There are good places out there and not so good places and the only way to tell is to talk to people who have had experience with them.

OH YEAH and if you can find people in your area to split shipping costs with it helps offset it. OH and sometimes a mom and pop LFS will order in what you are looking for so you can still see it before you buy it, sometimes it pays to ask!

I like to get all my fish from the LFS so I can see if the fish is in good condition, see if he has ick and is disease free and I want to see him eat. You cant check these out on something sent to you. But I do understand why folks order online as it is cheaper esp. if you order more than one. I`ll pay the extra to be sure.

In Oz, there's only a handful of places that will ship live fish. Plants are a more popular things to send via the mail, but if you're in the state of South Australia, you're out of luck due to the quarantine laws.

Two of the better guys that will send you fish in the mail will give a money-back guarantee. That's kinda nice and reassuring.

I've not yet done it myself, but I'm about to order glass & ruffle shrimp from a place in Darwin. We'll see how they turn out.

I have fish shipped from private parties and I've shipped fish a few times. Occasionally they're shipped in regular polly bags but most of the time they're shipped in Kordon breather bags. I use the Kordon bags and recently learned that the bag should have just a little give, so it doesn't feel like it would bounce if it were dropped (but not feel mushy either), when tied and the fish surival rate increases. The bags can be wrapped in newspaper, packed in styrofoam peanuts and/or put in a styrofaom lined box.

Back
Top Bottom