Fundamental differences in human beings.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I am a:

• Dog Person

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cat Person

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
deli_conker said:
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, Cats Rule!

*sniffs bait, swims away*

Uh oh, I'm being baited.

I frequent politcal boards and Open Forums where this thread would be considered so tame it would be a topic of ridicule.

Clown Monarch said:
I frequent politcal boards and Open Forums where this thread would be considered so tame it would be a topic of ridicule.

Opinion meter on -

Um.... This is a fish forum right? Most of us come here for fish information and a little social interaction. If we wanted confrontation and heated debate we would head over to "politcal boards and Open Forums" designated for such a thing. I personally find the general peaceful tone of this site enjoyable. There is enough confrontation in day to day life that I don't personally choose to seek out more. Each to their own I guess.

Opinion meter off -

Opinion meter broken in the "on" position -

Well, this is the Lounge actually. Open minds and thick skins make for good discussion. Fish discussion is down the hall.

Actually, I can't find a single example in this thread where someone picked a fight or even made a comment that could be considered by the most mild-mannered person on the planet to be insensitive.

It's not bait. I'm not trolling. I just think that I am more suited to have cats rather than dogs. The "Cats rule" comes from a movie called "Cats & Dogs". Check it out if you get a chance, it's pretty funny for cat and dog lovers.

In all honesty though, part of my reason for not liking dogs is that I was chased down by a doberman when I was 5. I have an inherent distrust in all things canine. Except for one dog that we inherited with the farm house I grew up in. His name was King and he was a great German Shepard.

There was another bad experience with a dog but I don't know if I should post it publicly...

No one likes frogs... whats wrong with you people!?!?! How many times do i have to say it. Froggys are better. Oh and getting police dogs is not always a great idea.. My neighbor had one and it used to break off the chain and tare right through our pants, undies and all. Not a pleasant memory...

deli_conker said:
It's not bait. I'm not trolling. I just think that I am more suited to have cats rather than dogs. The "Cats rule" comes from a movie called "Cats & Dogs". Check it out if you get a chance, it's pretty funny for cat and dog lovers.

In all honesty though, part of my reason for not liking dogs is that I was chased down by a doberman when I was 5. I have an inherent distrust in all things canine. Except for one dog that we inherited with the farm house I grew up in. His name was King and he was a great German Shepard.

There was another bad experience with a dog but I don't know if I should post it publicly...

I was just joking.

Our dog Lola is fiercely loyal to us. She's a big baby around us but if anyone else comes near the house, or especially in the house, she gets very aggressive. She's not a big dog at all but she's very protective. She seems to sense a person's comfort level. If a person acts scared or uneasy around Lola, it increases her aggressiveness. If you're comfortable with her she settles down quickly and becomes your best friend.

Rach101 said:
No one likes frogs... whats wrong with you people!?!?!

Actually, its funny...I had some baby box turtles on display at a show once (and baby box turtles are the cutest things on earth), and some young woman walked by, glanced, and said "Ewwww...turtles!"....to me that is like saying "Ewwww...puppies!"...how could anyone think that they were icky?

Advisor Responsibility:
deli_conker said:
Clown Monarch said:
Don't have too many political/religious discussions around here I'll wager.
They end up locked pretty quick.
You two must not be paying very close attention. There are numerous political and even philosophical discussions in the lounge. They only get locked when things (members) get out of hand. As mentioned above, this is not a site for arguments or flame wars. The members of this site have performed admirably on numerous occasions and have debated sensitive topics in depth without any problems. Partly due to many advisors here with a keen sense of smell, if you catch my drift.

Stay on topic Responsibility:
I'm allergic to cats so I don't have one. I have had one when living with my parents (oddly enough he didn't bother my allergies...) I appreciate their independence and their agility. I would love nothing more than to own a great cat, Tiger, leopard etc. Who knows what that would do to my allergies but I would be ALL over it! The combination of power and grace just leaves me awe-struck.

Mostly, I'm a dog person though. To an extent I like their love of affection. Wether its your affection on them or their's on you, I like the 1 on 1 contact. And the bigger the dog the better. My wife and I are looking for a new home and one of the "parameters" is that it must be big enough for a couple great danes. :D Room for a horse would be a bonus.

I'm allergic to cats and don't really like them anyway. My wife is allergic to dogs and cats, but doesn't like cats anyway.

So I guess we're dog people. :lol:

BillyZ said:
You two must not be paying very close attention. There are numerous political and even philosophical discussions in the lounge. They only get locked when things (members) get out of hand.
Compared to most boards I've been on, this site gets locked threads very quickly and when they are not necessarily out of hand. The description for the Lounge used to say "Total CHAOS. Who knows what could be going on in here." Now it says "Posts not related to aquaria but still remaning within the spirit of the Membership agreement."

Threads get locked pretty quick in here. In some ways, I can understand why. But in others, I'm either apathetic or just don't care. I'm not bashing the mods for that either, it's just an observation. It's their board; if you don't like their rules then don't post...

deli_conker said:
Compared to most boards I've been on, this site gets locked threads very quickly and when they are not necessarily out of hand. The description for the Lounge used to say "Total CHAOS. Who knows what could be going on in here." Now it says "Posts not related to aquaria but still remaning within the spirit of the Membership agreement."

Threads get locked pretty quick in here. In some ways, I can understand why. But in others, I'm either apathetic or just don't care. I'm not bashing the mods for that either, it's just an observation. It's their board; if you don't like their rules then don't post...

I don't think very many threads get locked here - in fact, I'd guess there have been less than 20 locked threads on the whole site during the entire tiime I've been a member. Most of them have been in the lounge forum. I've lurked on some aquarium sites where, at least once a week, there are locked posts in the advice forums! :roll:

The second biggest asset this site has (behind its members' experience and willingness to share it), is its nonthreatening and friendly environment. Newbies come here - relieved to be welcomed after being flamed away from other forums. Lots of people on this site form off-site friendships. Some of us meet, and even visit each other's homes. I can't imagine many other online aquarium communities that can boast that.

I agree that locked threads get shut down here way before they would on other sites. That way, damage is kept to a bare minimum - it's always a shame to lose a valuable member because of some minor disagreement that got out of control in the lounge. The administrators and moderators are very protective of this site's friendly atmosphere - it's really what makes AA unique among all the fish forums out there.

The plain and simple truth is that this is indeed NOT a site to discuss politics, world events, etc. This is a fish site. Those looking for a livly discussion on the current "hot" topic in the news will probably find themselves much more entertained by joining and participating in such a site where that is their focus.

This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community. Getting upset over a dog vs. cat thread. How childish. This portion of your post has been edited, it is in violation of the User Agreement. Further violations of the User Agreement could result in removal from our community. Well with that said, I'm going to go eat a dolphin enriched tuna sandwich.

Hmm...I like dogs better. I've never liked cats...most of them are too aloof for me. I guess I like getting tackled at the front door when I come home from work by two dogs...if I make it past the pit bull that lives outside. They also pitch a fit when I leave to go to work in the morning. I wouldn't hesitate to take in a stray, hungry cat and care for it until I could find it a home, but I wouldn't get one on purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom