Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #81
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaBuddyHuddie View Post
90% of the time people who work in fish stores will be some of the most unintelligent people you will ever encounter. To the point where it's practically shocking. Be prepared my friend. It's all laughable in the end though.
Hi thanks I am looking forward to my next visit to my less than knowledgeable fish shop
My local shop I always go to are unbelievably very knowledgeable so I am one lucky fish keeper I dare say they could tell me some good stories though

Old 11-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #82
RAH
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaBuddyHuddie

Yeah man I'm a Dolphins fan so I really shouldn't even open my mouth. Haha.
Yeah at least your not a Jets. Lol so we cool.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #83
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH

Yeah at least your not a Jets. Lol so we cool.
Haha amen we share mutual ground there. I hate the Jets
Old 11-22-2012, 11:10 PM   #84
RAH
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaBuddyHuddie

Haha amen we share mutual ground there. I hate the Jets
So do the Jets lol
Old 11-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #85
Aquarium Advice Freak

Me checking out fish: so what would I need if I eanted to start a freshwater tank?

LFS employee: a heater, some sea shells, decorations , fish and fish food.

Me: yeahh. Right. Do I need dechlorinator?

LFS employee: what's that?
Old 11-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #86
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeldmansFish
Me checking out fish: so what would I need if I eanted to start a freshwater tank?

Shoot me now.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #87
RAH
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeldmansFish

Y sea shells? Lol
Old 11-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #88
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I am really laughing, but in a sad way!

One of my children works at a big box store and she tries to learn as much as possible, (she specializes in small animals not fish) and spends half the day mad about how the fish are kept (since she remembers at least some of what I taught her!)

She recommended I work at a local big box pet store in the fish dept., and I told her no way since I wouldn't let 90% of the people who come in to buy fish ever take one home!

Also I walk around listening to the customers conversations and also the store clerks as well and have had to pull someone aside and recommend AA and doing more research first.

The saddest thing is when the new first time fish owners, mostly involving kids are given a tank and a tank full of fish to go home and set it all up.

In the push to sell stuff fast, most of the customers don't want to keep fish anymore due to the nightmare experience so they lose the customer for future sales. We all know this is addicting and we can't stop with just one little tank!

Even fish tank manufacturers set up directions says to put fish right in or wait a day or two then put in the fish. URRRGH! a day or two, unbelievable.

Thank goodness for the internet and AA!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Old 11-25-2012, 05:58 PM   #89
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky

One of my children works at a big box store and she tries to learn as much as possible, (she specializes in small animals not fish) and spends half the day mad about how the fish are kept (since she remembers at least some of what I taught her!)

She recommended I work at a local big box pet store in the fish dept., and I told her no way since I wouldn't let 90% of the people who come in to buy fish ever take one home!

Also I walk around listening to the customers conversations and also the store clerks as well and have had to pull someone aside and recommend AA and doing more research first.

The saddest thing is when the new first time fish owners, mostly involving kids are given a tank and a tank full of fish to go home and set it all up.

In the push to sell stuff fast, most of the customers don't want to keep fish anymore due to the nightmare experience so they lose the customer for future sales. We all know this is addicting and we can't stop with just one little tank!

Even fish tank manufacturers set up directions says to put fish right in or wait a day or two then put in the fish. URRRGH! a day or two, unbelievable.

You are spot on! This is exactly why I couldn't sell fish for a big box place. I'd get fired for telling too many people 'no'.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:04 PM   #90
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumnsky

That's funny. Me and my brother had the same conversation about a week ago about how we would probably be turning people away until they learned more about what they were doing.

Tags
lfs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com