Funniest thing you've over heard in the LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lt. said:
So many people think that the size of the fish in the store is what they'll always be. As in full-grown.

So those tiny little baby oscars... Wow, that is sad. They should keep an adult in a display by the baby's so people can see their full size.

Maxkolbe said:
So those tiny little baby oscars... Wow, that is sad. They should keep an adult in a display by the baby's so people can see their full size.

They should do that with all fish, or at least a paper cutout of a life sized adult. Great idea!

I went in the other day and asked if they could order me in apistogrammas. They said no we don't order in amphibians?! I was like ' oh okay but they aren't amphibians' they were quite set in their ways that they are amphibians. Next time I walked into the shop they were selling African dwarf frogs!

I went in the other day and asked if they could order me in apistogrammas. They said no we don't order in amphibians?! I was like ' oh okay but they aren't amphibians' they were quite set in their ways that they are amphibians. Next time I walked into the shop they were selling African dwarf frogs!

Haha... That is funny. :)

When in looking on [store] for a new 5 gallon betta tank, I see a question " is 4 goldfish ok in this tank?" These are the answers.....

Attachments

• image-146442027.jpg
    image-146442027.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 187
Last edited by a moderator:
The saddest is that when i read bt792589's I was like "finally, tell him what's right" and he started on the right track but then just killed it

Wow so many things lol Most revolve around bettas ("Yes you can keep them in this 2 g bowl with a bunch of other fish") and cycling ("Run the tank for a week then you're good to go"). If I hear a bunch of bad advice being given, I'll hide and follow them around the store then wait until the employee walks away, then I approach the customer and tell them the truth. Most times they appreciate it, especially when the employee tries to sell them a bunch of chemicals they really don't need. Try it, it's fun ;)

librarygirl said:
Wow so many things lol Most revolve around bettas ("Yes you can keep them in this 2 g bowl with a bunch of other fish") and cycling ("Run the tank for a week then you're good to go"). If I hear a bunch of bad advice being given, I'll hide and follow them around the store then wait until the employee walks away, then I approach the customer and tell them the truth. Most times they appreciate it, especially when the employee tries to sell them a bunch of chemicals they really don't need. Try it, it's fun ;)

I did that once. The people looked at me like I was a psycho and carried on with their Betta and half gallon bowl.

I did that once. The people looked at me like I was a psycho and carried on with their Betta and half gallon bowl.

I have done Betta's in a two gallon bowl, but I was not the one to set it up and let it just sit there like some people are. I cleaned the whole bowl out once every week. I kept the water clean and only used R/O water. They can be done in a bowl without any filtration or heater as long as you keep it in a warm part of the house and clean their water out every week. Had my first Betta for 3 1/2 years nice and healthy. He moved twice with me, miss that guy. :p

Lol!!! I have tried this before and they usually look at me like I am an alien from outer space! This is what has worked for me though- rather than attempting to explain, Ill suggest they look up this forum as soon as they get home or to check out the app. Half the time, they will pull their phones out and download the app on the spot. Atleast I know they are in good hands even if they do decide to buy that 1g starter tank for five goldfish that was suggested by the store employee....

I like it when the employees tries to sell to me. I always listen then start asking them question to see how much they really know. Only a few pass me as responsible sales associates but there are a few that actually know what they're talking about.

RAH said:
I like it when the employees tries to sell to me. I always listen then start asking them question to see how much they really know. Only a few pass me as responsible sales associates but there are a few that actually know what they're talking about.

I do that all the time. I ask them rhetorical questions all the time just cus I like to see who actually knows what they're doing.

I was at the pet store last week and there was a couple looking for fish for their tank. They had a general want to stock their tank properly and asked a lot of questions.

Most of the guys answers were "I dont know" but there were a few doozies.

They had a 20 gallon tank with some different tetras. He suggested they get a RTS for the tank. Told them that it gets about a foot long but when it starts to get too big or they notice it stops growing they are free to bring it back and trade it in for a smaller one.

He told them that they couldn't have platies because they don't share the same water chemistry as the tetras.

He also tried to sell them a common pleco.:blink:

I actually striked up a convo with them about honey gouramis and they ended up walking out with 1 of them and seemed pretty happy with the idea of something that would stay in their tank. Then the worker thanked me :ermm: lol.

tamtam said:
I was at the pet store last week and there was a couple looking for fish for their tank. They had a general want to stock their tank properly and asked a lot of questions.

Most of the guys answers were "I dont know" but there were a few doozies.

They had a 20 gallon tank with some different tetras. He suggested they get a RTS for the tank. Told them that it gets about a foot long but when it starts to get too big or they notice it stops growing they are free to bring it back and trade it in for a smaller one.

He told them that they couldn't have platies because they don't share the same water chemistry as the tetras.

He also tried to sell them a common pleco.:blink:

I actually striked up a convo with them about honey gouramis and they ended up walking out with 1 of them and seemed pretty happy with the idea of something that would stay in their tank. Then the worker thanked me :ermm: lol.

Yea I've had that happen before too. Employee giving horrible advice, so I chime in and help. Feel like I should be getting free supplies and fish for all the work I've done for the people who actually work there. Lol. Maybe ill propose that idea to the owner. I volunteer a few hours a week in return for a nice discount.

Well... Went to my lfs the other day and this lady was looking at the cichlid area. She seemed to like the playful pink convict and while talking to me and the owner said she was looking to replace an older oscar cichlid who had passed away. I ask her how old was he and how big did he get. She said she kept him in a 30 gallon and he got to be 8" and was surprised he lived for 4 years cause fish usually grow to fit the tank and most of the goldfish died in the first year. Facepalm.

I did inform her that her oscar didn't live as long as other oscars and I have seen 16+" oscars that lived 10+ years. She was baffled that fish actually live that long....

I was in Petsmart Thursday. There was a man and his younger son in, both holding books that they had picked up off the shelf on fish. The son goes up to the employee-
Boy-"Do you have (forgot the name of the saltwater fish he mentioned)?
Employee-"No."
Boy-"Do you have pirahnas?"
Employee-"No."
Boy-Do you have(Insert random hard to find fish name here.)?
Employee-"NO!"
And on it went.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom