Funniest thing you've over heard in the LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think all Wal-Marts and Petco's are created equal. I had gone to some Wal-Marts (Not Many) that has had very healthy looking fish and had no bare bottom tanks for them. That's why I think it all depends on the person that works that section.

The Petco's around me don't seem that bad. I never seen a dead fish in the Petco's I have been at in Indianapolis and Cincinnati. I don't buy my fish from Petco being they don't sale saltwater fish. I do buy supplies and for the most part the information I have gotten from the clerks match up to what you guys say here.

I had something funny at Jacks pets in Harrison oh.

Some guy was buying a really cool big catfish, I think it was a Red Tail cat. So at least 300 gallon tank size for this guy. He was putting it in a 55 gallon tank and I had asked. "Do you really think that is big enough for that guy"? His reply "I have a pound in the back of my house I will put him in when he gets too big".

Now I don't know if that is ok, it is a catfish and I am sure it will be fine in a BIG pound. I am just wondering whats the point of paying $60 dollars for a fish you can't enjoy for a long time?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think all Wal-Marts and Petco's are created equal. I had gone to some Wal-Marts (Not Many) that has had very healthy looking fish and had no bare bottom tanks for them. That's why I think it all depends on the person that works that section.

The Petco's around me don't seem that bad. I never seen a dead fish in the Petco's I have been at in Indianapolis and Cincinnati. I don't buy my fish from Petco being they don't sale saltwater fish. I do buy supplies and for the most part the information I have gotten from the clerks match up to what you guys say here.

I had something funny at Jacks pets in Harrison oh.

Some guy was buying a really cool big catfish, I think it was a Red Tail cat. So at least 300 gallon tank size for this guy. He was putting it in a 55 gallon tank and I had asked. "Do you really think that is big enough for that guy"? His reply "I have a pound in the back of my house I will put him in when he gets too big".

Now I don't know if that is ok, it is a catfish and I am sure it will be fine in a BIG pound. I am just wondering whats the point of paying $60 dollars for a fish you can't enjoy for a long time?

Depending what kind of pond it is, if you can fish it, can you imagine hooking into that big cat in a few years?!? Set the drag and hang on.

Depending what kind of pond it is, if you can fish it, can you imagine hooking into that big cat in a few years?!? Set the drag and hang on.

That's an expensive way to stock your pound. :p

I think having that big of a Cat in a 55 gallon is retarded anyway, you can only keep it in there for maybe a month before it goes to the pond. I am sure the poor thing is still suffering in a tank too small for it. This was three months ago, so this thing has to be big now.

Another thing I had happen at Church no less.

Our Pastor was talking about how ALL fish will not outgrow their tank environment, they will only grow to how big their environments will let them. He even said Sharks (Saltwater) would only grow to the size of the tank. He was using this analogy as to say we need to break out of our tanks so we can grow in our faith. :nono: Anyone that watch the show "Tanked" would know a Shark can outgrow their tank very fast and needs to be moved to a bigger tank. I am sure their is sharks where his statement holds true, but he said ALL fish and Sharks. I wanted to tell him that it was wrong as I had clown loaches in a 29 gallon that was outgrowing their environment. I was unable to get to him to tell him he needed to change his analogy. It was a large church and he was very busy.

baron1282 said:
That's an expensive way to stock your pound. :p

I think having that big of a Cat in a 55 gallon is retarded anyway, you can only keep it in there for maybe a month before it goes to the pond. I am sure the poor thing is still suffering in a tank too small for it. This was three months ago, so this thing has to be big now.

Another thing I had happen at Church no less.

Our Pastor was talking about how ALL fish will not outgrow their tank environment, they will only grow to how big their environments will let them. He even said Sharks (Saltwater) would only grow to the size of the tank. He was using this analogy as to say we need to break out of our tanks so we can grow in our faith. :nono: Anyone that watch the show "Tanked" would know a Shark can outgrow their tank very fast and needs to be moved to a bigger tank. I am sure their is sharks where his statement holds true, but he said ALL fish and Sharks. I wanted to tell him that it was wrong as I had clown loaches in a 29 gallon that was outgrowing their environment. I was unable to get to him to tell him he needed to change his analogy. It was a large church and he was very busy.

Haha Oh well, at least his point still got across

Looking at plants the other day @ the LFS - another customer comes up and asks me 'do you plant these?'. I sat sarcastically said 'no if course not' and walked away

insecurity said:
Looking at plants the other day @ the LFS - another customer comes up and asks me 'do you plant these?'. I sat sarcastically said 'no if course not' and walked away

Thats rude :(

insecurity said:

Rude? yes.... First thing in this thread that's made me laugh? YES!!!!

Had a lady at [store] tell me I was doing wrong by my Tiger Barbs by keeping 5 of them in a 10 gal. (I'm in the middle of moving) Me in all my curiosity ask why. She replied they will grow out to be 14". I said really now? She said yes. I ask," where did she hear that." She then decided to point to a tag on the stack aquarium thing that hold all their fish. I looked and ask her to read it for me. She looked then said," Oh!" I said," thought so." She said, "sorry, would you like a tiger oscar?" I told her not today lol

Last edited by a moderator:
AA does not allow store bashing. Please keep this in mind. Posts have been edited to remove the names of specific stores.
Any further incidents of store bashing will result in the thread being closed.
Please try to keep it civil and not insult specific places. I liked reading this thread and I would rather not close it. :)

I went on a mission to buy my cardinal tetras today, three stores (no names as requested!) And three interesting additions to the thread.

Store 1 (local owned, great store) they were out of the cardinals but i love browsing this place. There was a girl and her dad also browsing. They are looking at a tank with three gar and there was fancy guppies in there (population control I'm assuming) and i hear, "daddy! Daddy! I want that one!" Then she screamed as the gar grabbed dinner.

Store two (chain): "can i help you?"
"I'm looking for cardinals"
"sorry I'm not familiar with cichlids"
Turns out they were also sold out.

Store three (chain): found my cardinals! Store associate gave me the third degree making sure i had a cycled tank and such, which i appreciated! When he asked what fish i had in tank when i said panda cories, he said "you mean like Cory cats?" I said yeah, and he said "are you sure you don't mean panda platty?" I said no, i mean panda cories and he didn't think those existed. Oh well though i got my cardinals and They seem healthy and at least he cared about the fish!

So, not sad news about my LFS, on Wednesday they got most of their weeks fish order in, and all the fish were all healthy, but but the next day half the aquariums in the store CRASHED!!! about ten-15 or so outa like 30ish tanks CRASHED!! WITH DOZENS OF DEAD FISH!!!

I went on a mission to buy my cardinal tetras today, three stores (no names as requested!) And three interesting additions to the thread.

Store 1 (local owned, great store) they were out of the cardinals but i love browsing this place. There was a girl and her dad also browsing. They are looking at a tank with three gar and there was fancy guppies in there (population control I'm assuming) and i hear, "daddy! Daddy! I want that one!" Then she screamed as the gar grabbed dinner.

Love store one!

Well this isn't a lfs, but a guy selling a 5 gallon pentagon tank on eBay. Saddest advice ever...

Attachments

• image-1844192807.jpg
    image-1844192807.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 180
CharlieKlein said:
Well this isn't a lfs, but a guy selling a 5 gallon pentagon tank on eBay. Saddest advice ever...

As ridiculous as it sounds to us that know better, it's far to common for people to follow that rule. Poor fish.

Ugh. That kills me. Those goldfish do not think ignorance is bliss.

So many people think that the size of the fish in the store is what they'll always be. As in full-grown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom