Funniest thing you've over heard in the LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She often texts me while I'm at school or work, saying how much better her life is with fish and frogs lol. And she only has two Bettas and the ADFs! I can only imagine if she had anything else... She would never spend time on anything else except her tank, talking to them, feeding them and worrying about them. I swear she talks to and about her fish and frogs more than about her children :p

An LFS was selling "ballon belly gold fish". Didn't see any though. Feel bad for the fish.

Horsegirlmaddy said:
Not a funny thing at a store, but I'm currently listening to my mom cleaning her ADF tank, having a running dialogue with them. "ooh scawy scawy scawy, I'm sorry. You're such good little fwoggies, yep yep yep. So good so good. Do you want some yumyums after? You be so good ittle fwoggies! Why wont you sing for me (she's heard my big ACFs "singing") I love you! Okay, waters coming! Whooooosssshhhhh! So scary, such brave little fwoggies. There you go, yep yep yep"

I could listen for days lol

Instant YouTube hit. Just a thought.

An LFS was selling "ballon belly gold fish". Didn't see any though. Feel bad for the fish.

I saw an empty tank once labeled ghost cats.... I wondered if instead of being sold out of ghost catfish if they were selling the ghosts of dead catfish? Might be fun for shipwreck themed tank.

My lfs must have gad customers that don't research their fish. Last time I went, all the pleco and oto tanks had signs saying these fish are very peaceful but will not eat all types of algae. We will not accept returns under these conditions.

I had a LFS sell me a 3 inch catfish with whiskers 2 inches long, on both sides, say that it was all fine for a 5 gallon tank. Once it ate my neons in that tank, I brought it back a week later and explained thing to the manager, and they took beck the fish gladly giving me a refund. I never saw the person who sold me the catfish ever again, for some reason?

Me: I need an adjustable heater for a qt tank.

LFS, ooooold lady who claims to have been raising fish for 35 years: Ok.

Me; I have an ich outbreak so I need to get the water to at least 86.

Lady: Why?

*facepalm*

Later in the conversation she tells me that all new arrivals get their own personal dousing of Ick Guard, regardless of how they look. I start walking around to find at least two of her tanks are riddled with ich. She's like those doctors who prescribe antibiotics just for the heck of it and now we have MRSA to deal with.

Every time I go to my lfs, I decide to play "Spot the Dead Fish in Every Tank and Buy Myself SOmething Nice." I always win.

It is a [store] though. I do have one really fantastic lfs that has knowledgeable workers and very clean tanks. I never won my game there and all the fish I got are healthy. But it's thirty minutes away. The [store] is five minutes away, and no one ever wants to drive me to Patchogue unless I'm getting actual fish. Sigh...

Last edited by a moderator:
Rlavassor86 said:
I had no clue [store] sold aquarium supplies and fish. Sounds kinda stupid to me. The idiots there couldn't tell me about a vacuum they sell let alone be knowledgeable in regards to keeping aquariums. The LFS by me told me yesterday they are closing next month because they won't be able to compete with [store] that's opening a new store 2 blocks away. Pretty sad that people who actually have a passion for the hobby are getting pushed out by companies that don't know the difference between a goldfish and a cichlid.

I never have expectations now when I go to [that store]. I should have clarified... I had one self-proclaimed "fish expert" I relied on when they had fish. I did not know better. Now I do. (At least I knew there weren't any "vacuum experts" at [store] :p)

Hi being half deaf I have never heard anything:( But thanks to this thread I have had a great laugh and next time I go to me local fish shop I shall wear my hearing aid:lol:

stingrays4 said:
Hi being half deaf I have never heard anything:( But thanks to this thread I have had a great laugh and next time I go to me local fish shop I shall wear my hearing aid:lol:

90% of the time people who work in fish stores will be some of the most unintelligent people you will ever encounter. To the point where it's practically shocking. Be prepared my friend. It's all laughable in the end though.

The owner of my lfs store once said ever wonder why someone who puts 2 oscars, 1 pleco, and 1 blood parrots into a 55 never have problems but if your parameters just slightly change you lose the lone guppy in your 10 gallon? I said no. She said darn I'm still trying to figure it out. I had to laugh at this.

RAH said:
The owner of my lfs store once said ever wonder why someone who puts 2 oscars, 1 pleco, and 1 blood parrots into a 55 never have problems but if your parameters just slightly change you lose the lone guppy in your 10 gallon? I said no. She said darn I'm still trying to figure it out. I had to laugh at this.

You know what's even funnier? The Saints!

Sorry man I had to...lol

YaBuddyHuddie said:
You know what's even funnier? The Saints!

Sorry man I had to...lol

Really going there are we?!?! You keep saying that.... At least my forum name doesn't sound like a girlfriends pet name lol

I'm just joking yeah this year isn't there best but I can't say I'm completely upset.

Yesterday there was a new guy at my favorite fish store. He was recommending tinfoil barbs to a woman with children.
She said, "And they'll be ok with the goldfish?"
He replied, "yeah cuz they're pretty peaceful and fast enough to avoid him."
Her, "Even in a twenty gallon??"
He says yes, sounding completely lost.
She makes a I-don't-believe-you face while I turn and shake my head behind his back.
Then she says, "what about these?" (Cichlids)
He said they get too big.
She said I thought fish were limited by the size of the tank.
He looks extremely unhappy and says "to a degree yes, but..."
So I said, "their spine stops but their internal organs do not. So you shorten the lifespan of your fish," in an empathetic tone.
He said, "yeah so I don't really recommend that."

I gave her the forum a while later and talked to her about her fish...
He did check to make sure she dechlorinated her pwc water. :)

CoryFan said:
Yesterday there was a new guy at my favorite fish store. He was recommending tinfoil barbs to a woman with children.
She said, "And they'll be ok with the goldfish?"
He replied, "yeah cuz they're pretty peaceful and fast enough to avoid him."
Her, "Even in a twenty gallon??"
He says yes, sounding completely lost.
She makes a I-don't-believe-you face while I turn and shake my head behind his back.
Then she says, "what about these?" (Cichlids)
He said they get too big.
She said I thought fish were limited by the size of the tank.
He looks extremely unhappy and says "to a degree yes, but..."
So I said, "their spine stops but their internal organs do not. So you shorten the lifespan of your fish," in an empathetic tone.
He said, "yeah so I don't really recommend that."

I gave her the forum a while later and talked to her about her fish...
He did check to make sure she dechlorinated her pwc water. :)

Wow wasn't [store] was it lol

RAH said:
Really going there are we?!?! You keep saying that.... At least my forum name doesn't sound like a girlfriends pet name lol

I'm just joking yeah this year isn't there best but I can't say I'm completely upset.

Yeah man I'm a Dolphins fan so I really shouldn't even open my mouth. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom