Funniest things done by your fishy friends?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy Sager said:
They need to be at least 3 years old and 7 to 8 inches long. Males tend to have a pointed dorsal but in truth, it's very difficult to see. Females will tend to be a bit rounder in the middle than a male. Best time to see this is before you feed.
The best way to get a real pair is to buy about 12 small or medium fish and put them in a big tank and grow them up. They will naturally pair off as the odds of getting all one gender from that many fish is small. ( I once did this with FW Angelfish and wound up with 6 breeding pairs out of 12 fish. What are the odds of that???)
Keep in mind that when I was breeding Oscars, there were no veiltails or albinos or any of the newer colors. We just had Common, Reds and Red Tigers to choose from. I imported a pair of Emerald Greens from Germany back in the 60s but they didn't make it so I don't know if that color strain survived.
Fair warning: You will need a number of tanks to rear the fry because you can't crowd them and expect them to grow. (My pairs averaged about 500 surviving babies per spawn.) I was breeding the pairs in custom made 35 gal tanks and taking the eggs from the parents. Eggs went into 10 gal tanks until hatched and moved to a 40 long after the fry started eating Brine shrimp. I split up the spawn as the fish got larger. Multiply this by 13 pairs and as you can see, I had A LOT of Oscars to sell :D

Happy spawning:brows:

Thanx. They are 5 years old. That sounds like alot of work.

It was but...

Thanx. They are 5 years old. That sounds like alot of work.

...I was doing it to sell them.
One good thing about Oscars is they do make good parents. It's really fun to see a whole school of babies hanging around Mom and Dad. Make sure you have a nice big flat rock or piece of slate to act as a nesting site. Don't expect them to just dig out the gravel to nest. They must have a surface that fits their needs. They are bottom breeders so you don't have to angle it like you would for Angels or Discus.

Good luck and keep us posted (y)

Last edited:
I think mine will have to be how my Marbled Hatchets get through some floating plants. Since they are such tall fish they will sometimes tilt on their side while swimming to make it through a bit of floating plants. It's always funny to see them tilt, then disappear into the thicket.

I have this female betta in a 15 gal with a couple of guppies and a breeder net. I will sit and watch her she'll squeeze between the glass and the net, get to the top, jump in the net, eat whatever fry is in there, and jump out the otherside. Lol no wonder I don't have any fry left! I sat there and watched for about an hour and figured out why I had no more fry left.
All four of my bettas are jumping acrobats. Every time I feed them one of them always jumps their "fence" to eat the other bettas food. I guess they didn't want to wait. Lol
I think I might start training them that aquatic fish course and get them to start pushing the soccer ball into the net. Lol

Starka said:
I have this female betta in a 15 gal with a couple of guppies and a breeder net. I will sit and watch her she'll squeeze between the glass and the net, get to the top, jump in the net, eat whatever fry is in there, and jump out the otherside. Lol no wonder I don't have any fry left! I sat there and watched for about an hour and figured out why I had no more fry left.
All four of my bettas are jumping acrobats. Every time I feed them one of them always jumps their "fence" to eat the other bettas food. I guess they didn't want to wait. Lol
I think I might start training them that aquatic fish course and get them to start pushing the soccer ball into the net. Lol

I woke up to my male betta being missing from his little floating enclosure and swimming with the guppies...

during feeding time my ghost attempt to grab as many wafers and stick them inside there mouths. one would fall and they would pick another up.one time my male even took an algae wafer from my rcs.:)

At feeding time my blood parrots jump out of the tank and like jump out of the tank and get the pellets they wanted :) they splash me a lot! They only do it a feeding time and I can't capture the vid it super duper cool!

I have a green cheek conure who loves my open top discus tank so when he flys to the tank and sits on the rim I give him fish food and as he eats it pieces fall into the water where my school of discus sit at the surface waiting for my bird to drop it and gobble it up so funny to watch.

Mine does that all the time!! Sometimes I hear a loud 'bang!' when he lands on his shell; and it's even scarier this time as my new tank is 80cm high!

My mystery snail took it further and used to climb out and jump on the floor when I left my lid open. The first time it happened I was watching tv and heard a thump, but payed no attention to it. 10-20 minutes later I was shocked to see a snail crawling across my carpet right in front of the television!

My fish have a morning meeting on the left side of the tank ^_^ then at 830 they go do whatever fish do. Same thing every day.

StevesPrettyCool said:
My mystery snail took it further and used to climb out and jump on the floor when I left my lid open. The first time it happened I was watching tv and heard a thump, but payed no attention to it. 10-20 minutes later I was shocked to see a snail crawling across my carpet right in front of the television!

Lol
How long can snails last out of the water?

Starka said:
Lol

My sister had a snail climb out of her tank and fall behind it. Not sure how long it was back there but she said it was all dry and shriveled up. Instead of throwing it out she put it in some water to soak and it plumped back up and was just fine! She put it back in the tank.

LOL!
I don't know how long they can last without water either, but I do know that when I change my water and snail finds himself above the water level he's back on the bottom in no-time :D

senemedar said:
LOL!
I don't know how long they can last without water either, but I do know that when I change my water and snail finds himself above the water level he's back on the bottom in no-time :D

some snails can be out of water and others can... my blue mystery snail is the same as yours. but my nerite snail climes above the water line on his own and has stayed above the water line for days

My Bolivian rams always both try to fit in tiny opening between driftwood pieces. LOL they never fit.

Lol

I dont know! He took the leap of faith a few more times since I posted too! Im rehoming them this weekend so i got them in a small water pitcher. I had to tape a piece of cardboard on the top because these guys can travel!

By far the funniest part about it is, even after giving the rug a good scrub, I can still see three little "slime" trails going half way across my room! Kinda gross but I laugh everytime I see it

StevesPrettyCool said:
I dont know! He took the leap of faith a few more times since I posted too! Im rehoming them this weekend so i got them in a small water pitcher. I had to tape a piece of cardboard on the top because these guys can travel!

By far the funniest part about it is, even after giving the rug a good scrub, I can still see three little "slime" trails going half way across my room! Kinda gross but I laugh everytime I see it

Lol
I think that would be too funny to see XD

Back
Top Bottom