Funniest things done by your fishy friends?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My African Clawed Frog stands up all the time lol

image-619618983.jpg

Loving that frog! Lol!
I used to have Oscars that would rearrange all of the rocks in the tank every night after lights out. I would set it up and they would change it nightly! They also used to eat from my hand so when I got my parrot fish I thought to see if he would eat from my hand too. Well now when I open the lid he swims to the top as fast as he can and rests his chin on the edge just waiting for me to pop a pellet his way. Lol!

The funniest thing....

Way back when, I used to breed Oscars (Astranomus Ocellatus). I had 13 pairs at that time. The female of one of those pairs became very fond of me and would pay special attention to my hand while I cleaned their tank. I was always "petting" the 2 of them so they were used to my hands in the tank. One day the female was paying extra attention to my cleaning activities. I decided to rest my hand on the bottom of the tank and formed a half moon shape. The female came over and nuzzled her way into my hand and layed down inside of it. This was not an agressive move as she just came to rest while touching my hand. Almost as if she was using it as a pillow. This went on a few different times until the male just couldn't take it anymore and attacked my hand. He attacked me now everytime I tried to clean the tank. From there on out it was Sponge on a stick time.
I know jealousy works fish to fish. Did anyone know that it happens fish to human??? :lol:

Andy Sager said:
Way back when, I used to breed Oscars (Astranomus Ocellatus). I had 13 pairs at that time. The female of one of those pairs became very fond of me and would pay special attention to my hand while I cleaned their tank. I was always "petting" the 2 of them so they were used to my hands in the tank. One day the female was paying extra attention to my cleaning activities. I decided to rest my hand on the bottom of the tank and formed a half moon shape. The female came over and nuzzled her way into my hand and layed down inside of it. This was not an agressive move as she just came to rest while touching my hand. Almost as if she was using it as a pillow. This went on a few different times until the male just couldn't take it anymore and attacked my hand. He attacked me now everytime I tried to clean the tank. From there on out it was Sponge on a stick time.
I know jealousy works fish to fish. Did anyone know that it happens fish to human??? :lol:

Lol, that's a cute story! :)

That is a really good story!! "I love you, Handy, but we can't be together!" LOL

It's amazing....

That is a really good story!! "I love you, Handy, but we can't be together!" LOL

...what sparks growth.
From this experience, I learned FI (Fish Intelligence) is way beyond what most people know. I've been able to communicate and interact with wild specimens in the open ocean as well as in fish tanks on a level that amazed my bosses and co- workers. Hand feeding exotics began a normal thing for me. My Favorite was Chambered Nautiluses. They would see me coming and race across their 8' long tanks to get to me first.
Bottom line, fish aren't as dumb as we think they are. Study, and I really mean study a fish and it's behavior and you'll see what I mean.

Last edited:
Andy Sager said:
...what sparks growth.
From this experience, I learned FI (Fish Intelligence) is way beyond what most people know. I've been able to communicate and interact with wild specimens in the open ocean as well as in fish tanks on a level that amazed my bosses and co- workers. Hand feeding exotics began a normal thing for me. My Favorite was Chambered Nautiluses. They would see me coming and race across their 8' long tanks to get to me first.
Bottom line, fish aren't as dumb as we think they are. Study, and I really mean study a fish and it's behavior and you'll see what I mean.

Completely agree!

I have my tank near our glass side doors. Every morning I open up the blinds and my comet goldfish freak out and go and hide behind the rocks. In about 20 seconds or so 2 of them will poke their heads out as if to see if the scary thing has gone. Then all of a sudden one will dash out as fast as he can only to return to the other side of the rock. He must then say to the others "all clear guys, it's safe to go out"....lol. A few seconds later they all come out. Slowly at first but they soon return to their normal activities once they realise that it was a false alarm.

You just can't beat...

I have my tank near our glass side doors. Every morning I open up the blinds and my comet goldfish freak out and go and hide behind the rocks. In about 20 seconds or so 2 of them will poke their heads out as if to see if the scary thing has gone. Then all of a sudden one will dash out as fast as he can only to return to the other side of the rock. He must then say to the others "all clear guys, it's safe to go out"....lol. A few seconds later they all come out. Slowly at first but they soon return to their normal activities once they realise that it was a false alarm.

... a good lookout :D . I wonder if they have all agreed to take turns as lookout or drew straws for the job? :lol::lol:

Piggyback

Piggybacking :D

Attachments

• IMG_0884.jpg
    IMG_0884.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 118
Mlani said:
Loving that frog! Lol!
I used to have Oscars that would rearrange all of the rocks in the tank every night after lights out. I would set it up and they would change it nightly! They also used to eat from my hand so when I got my parrot fish I thought to see if he would eat from my hand too. Well now when I open the lid he swims to the top as fast as he can and rests his chin on the edge just waiting for me to pop a pellet his way. Lol!

I've got 2 oscars and when I open the lid one will go to one corner and one to the other corner. Its so cute.

Andy Sager said:

I love my oscars, I just wish I could get them to breed if their not 2 males!!!!

Breeding Oscars

I love my oscars, I just wish I could get them to breed if their not 2 males!!!!

They need to be at least 3 years old and 7 to 8 inches long. Males tend to have a pointed dorsal but in truth, it's very difficult to see. Females will tend to be a bit rounder in the middle than a male. Best time to see this is before you feed.
The best way to get a real pair is to buy about 12 small or medium fish and put them in a big tank and grow them up. They will naturally pair off as the odds of getting all one gender from that many fish is small. ( I once did this with FW Angelfish and wound up with 6 breeding pairs out of 12 fish. What are the odds of that???)
Keep in mind that when I was breeding Oscars, there were no veiltails or albinos or any of the newer colors. We just had Common, Reds and Red Tigers to choose from. I imported a pair of Emerald Greens from Germany back in the 60s but they didn't make it so I don't know if that color strain survived.
Fair warning: You will need a number of tanks to rear the fry because you can't crowd them and expect them to grow. (My pairs averaged about 500 surviving babies per spawn.) I was breeding the pairs in custom made 35 gal tanks and taking the eggs from the parents. Eggs went into 10 gal tanks until hatched and moved to a 40 long after the fry started eating Brine shrimp. I split up the spawn as the fish got larger. Multiply this by 13 pairs and as you can see, I had A LOT of Oscars to sell :D

Happy spawning:brows:

i have to feed my betta and the endlers in his tank seperately,i will put food in,and the endlers will immediately go after the food,while my betta swims to the side im on and looks at me like "well whers mine??"

Back
Top Bottom