Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I love both but I favor parrots more. They're so happy but also grumpy looking, they're also really silly. I also really like goldfish, ranchu's especially. Goldfish look silly when they swim. Like they waddle.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Goldfish. They take a bit more work in terms of water quality (they're supercharged poop-machines) but they have a lot more personality, variety and are better able to handle the surprise occurences that come with living in a fallible world. Just don't mix longbodies (commons, comets and shubunkins) with shortbodies because the longs are better swimmers and will out-eat the shorts to starvation.

For tanks, you should go by the general rule of 20 gallons for the first fish and an additional ten for every other. You can get away with a little less when they're babies but be prepared to upgrade since they grow FAST. Also, you don't need a full time heater but you should have one on hand. Goldfish (especially shorts) are prone to digestive issues like constipation, and raising the water temp a few degrees temporarily is one of the best ways to fix this.

They do best with large-grain gravel as a substrate. Naturally they're scavengers and you'll often see them "cleaning" the gravel, essentially scraping it with their mouths to eat any leftover food and poop on it. If they're in a sand tank there's a very good chance they'll eat a good bit of sand, eventually resulting in bowel impaction and very often a fatal rupture. Another thing you never hear about beforehand is that you should be prepared to perform emergency "dental surgery" when they get a piece of gravel stuck in their mouth that won't come out. All you need to do is remove the fish, put him in a shallow container full of water (like a betta cup) and carefully remove it with tweezers. It's a lot more nerve-wracking than it is dangerous.

Old 10-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's interesting Johnny. I have frequently heard that sand or fine gravel is the safest substrate for goldfish.
As for goldfish species- the pearlscales are my favourites. They have stacks of personality, but from my (admittedly limited) experience, what makes them so hilarious to watch is the combination of enthusiasm and clumsy movement. Lol
Old 10-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'll agree that pearlscales are adorable but I feel bad that they exist since the genetic mutations that give them their qualities so severely inhibit their quality of life (the same could be said for ryukins or ranchus I suppose but pearlscales just seem to have it a lot harder than most any goldfish, excepting bubble-eyes)
Old 10-29-2013, 12:52 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny leftist View Post
I'll agree that pearlscales are adorable but I feel bad that they exist since the genetic mutations that give them their qualities so severely inhibit their quality of life (the same could be said for ryukins or ranchus I suppose but pearlscales just seem to have it a lot harder than most any goldfish, excepting bubble-eyes)
Mine wasn't disabled by its genetics- maybe mine was from a 'bad' breeder who didn't line breed to emphasize those traits. I think breeding fish with deformities like no dorsal fin or eyes that can only see upwards is worse. The only thing that my pearlscales suffered from was my inexperience

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com