Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2014, 01:08 AM   #1

Location: i dont remember. let me take my arm out of the tank.
Good for my tank?

Guys, i need to know what to do for my guppy tank. Its is a month old now, and algae growth has begun. What algae eating animal (snail or fish) should go in a 4g?

Old 01-02-2014, 01:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The algae may be because you are feeding them to much?

Old 01-02-2014, 02:07 AM   #3

I dont think so....i dont ever see balloon stomachs after i feed them...anyway the real matter is what snail should i get to help clean.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

In a 4g, you will be limited on fish. Some might say an otocinclus would work, but I would strongly disagree. That's just too small a tank for an algae eating fish IMO. With that said, snails and shrimp do wonders on algae with very little bio load, so they are perfect for your tank. If you have a lot of algae, go with a Nerite snail, maybe 2. They don't eat anything but algae, though, so they starve if there isn't enough. I prefer mystery snails. Much more fun to watch, and great for cleanup of algae and other detritus (like leftover food). I would also consider some algae eating shrimp. Red cherries are pretty, but Japanese algae eaters would do better. Either or both would be awesome In your 4 gallon. As for the cause of algae, too much light and too much food are likely responsible. Good luck!
Old 01-02-2014, 02:39 AM   #5

Good for my tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnoel5787 View Post
In a 4g, you will be limited on fish. Some might say an otocinclus would work, but I would strongly disagree. That's just too small a tank for an algae eating fish IMO. With that said, snails and shrimp do wonders on algae with very little bio load, so they are perfect for your tank. If you have a lot of algae, go with a Nerite snail, maybe 2. They don't eat anything but algae, though, so they starve if there isn't enough. I prefer mystery snails. Much more fun to watch, and great for cleanup of algae and other detritus (like leftover food). I would also consider some algae eating shrimp. Red cherries are pretty, but Japanese algae eaters would do better. Either or both would be awesome In your 4 gallon. As for the cause of algae, too much light and too much food are likely responsible. Good luck!
I think i will settle with mystery snails! I can give them algae tabs, correct? The tank is LED lit and very bright so that may be the problem. Well, thanks!

Edit: if shrimp are more diet tolerant, that may be better. I could get a cherry shrimp, always wanted one. We will see!
Old 01-02-2014, 02:59 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

I supplement my mystery snails with algae tabs from time to time. I find that breaking them up and scattering them makes sure the snails find them. Realistically, though, since mysteries will eat nearly anything, a little extra food in the tank (flakes, pellets, whatever) keeps them happy and algae is unnecessary. The Nerites are picky; the mysteries are not. Shrimp are fun anyway and get delicate leaves clean. I would add both. 1 Mystery and maybe 4 cherry, crystal, or Japanese algae eaters. I would avoid ghost shrimp; they can get aggressive.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:22 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

My snails love veggies and mulberry leaves. The mulberry leaves are great because they stay green and don't foul the water. The veggies get devoured before they can spoil:

Baby Mystery and trumpet snails sharing broccoli with a bristlenose:

Name:   ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388647186.776881.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  10.8 KB
Old 01-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnoel5787 View Post
I supplement my mystery snails with algae tabs from time to time. I find that breaking them up and scattering them makes sure the snails find them. Realistically, though, since mysteries will eat nearly anything, a little extra food in the tank (flakes, pellets, whatever) keeps them happy and algae is unnecessary. The Nerites are picky; the mysteries are not. Shrimp are fun anyway and get delicate leaves clean. I would add both. 1 Mystery and maybe 4 cherry, crystal, or Japanese algae eaters. I would avoid ghost shrimp; they can get aggressive.
Will shrimp clean my baby java fern carefully?
Old 01-02-2014, 11:14 AM   #9
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would suggest first finding the underlying reason for the algae. What type of algae is it? How long are your lights on? As stated, the tank is too small for algae eating fish. Mystery snails may work, but they bring a decent bioload with them. I'd probably suggest a single amano shrimp, depending on the actual type(s) of algae.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:37 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Amanos are great, or so I've heard... can't find them around here. But yes, the shrimp will be plant friendly and do fine with java. I just like the snails because they seem to do a better job on glass.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tags
tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com