Hi-five tetra info?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ExoticAquarist

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, my LFS is getting in a ton of fish they call "Hi Five Tetras". I really want some, but I have no idea what they are. I've tracked down some similar species: The Rosy Tetra, The Candy Cane Tetra, and Hyphessobrycon sp. "HY511". I'm guessing I should search about the last one because its scientific number looks like Hy 5!!. Could you help me about these cool fish?

Sent via TIE Fighter

The LFS owner just talked to me about them a bit. He says they are his 2nd best selling fish, the first being cardinal tetras and the third being discus. He said they are very hardy & not fussy but they like good food. Picking up 6 today!

Sent via TIE Fighter

Look up Bentos Tetras/Ornate Tetras. They can also go by the name of Candy Cane Tetras. These tetras are a relative to the Rosy Tetra, but are often confused with being the Rosy Tetra. They are very hardy fish and have excellent coloring.

The LFS had 17 yesterday afternoon and had 4 today. I bought them all, even though 2 have kinked spines. I'll post some pics later tonight. They are tough little guys. I put some BS in the tank right after I put them in and even after being harassed by my diamonds they attacked it like it was the last food on earth! I'll enjoy em.

Sent via TIE Fighter

Pic time!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435541499.947477.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435541518.734079.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435541536.955812.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435541553.937734.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1435541570.800679.jpg
Oh gosh the pics are terrible... Makes the wood debris from my pleco on the bottom look like poop and the red doesn't even show up on these guys. Sorta aggressive, they chase each other around the tank and wave their fins around establishing dominance. They remind me of my diamond when they were little. They are like rowdy little kids, and the only fish that can keep them in control is my Bolivian ram. They are the most personable tetra I have seen, they are definitely not the standard mindless, ever-hungry schoolers that tetras usually are. They remind me of dwarf cichlids.

Sent via TIE Fighter

Oh, and do you know if they will develop trailing fins like diamond tetras will?

Sent via TIE Fighter

Oh, and do you know if they will develop trailing fins like diamond tetras will?

Sent via TIE Fighter

The males will develop trailing fins...maybe not as large as those of Diamond Tetras. Overall, they're a very nice fish, and you're probably the second or third person that I've seen on AA get these haha. They are getting more popular though. Here is a pic of mine from two years ago:

Back
Top Bottom