How to clean a used tank and supplies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just aquired a 20g Long aquarium with a hood, whisper filter, 2 whisper air pumps, and a heater. The aquarium has some gravel bits in it, a couple of small scratches and water marks and stuff. How do I clean this? With hot water? Some sort of bleach solution? The heater has algae spots on it, should I scrape this off with a raser blade? TIA.

What I would suggest is that you use vinegar to remove the hard water stains and also to soak the heater in to get rid of the spots. No razor blade. The vinegar will dissolve all the mineral stains. Dump the gravel, assuming it is not a lot, you can replace with new. Do not use hot water, RT water is what you should stick with. After this is all done, fill with clean water and run the sytem, i.e the filter. Check for any leaks ect. If all is good, add about two cups of bleach and let it run in the system for a day or so. After that, dump the water, flush everything thoroughly with clean water, fill with clean water and run for another day. After that, clean out, refill, de-chlorinate and you should be ready to go. HTH

If the hard water stains are not to bad, simple hot water and a scrubby sponge [ Abrasive, yet not so much that it would scratch the glass ] will remove it toot sweet.

same goes with the heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom