I'm Begining to hate my Python.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know everyone here loves theirs.

but I'm about to the point to where I wish I had never left the bucket brigade.

Sure, my python is great at making the sucking and replacing of water to and from my tanks easier.

But the mess it leaves behind does not make the job any quicker.

I have replaced the O rings, tightend it to an inch of its life, everything. but my python continues to spew water everywhere from the adaptor that screws onto the faucet.

I just did my weekly tank work on ALL my tanks, and I came back to find my bathroom was FLOODED under an INCH of water because the python had sprayed water all over the place worse than every before.

argh!

[/rant]

Mine does that as well. All I do is take a hand towel and drap it over the faucet. That way the towel is the only thing that gets wet. Try it, it might work for you to.

Tiff

freshwatergal said:
Mine does that as well. All I do is take a hand towel and drap it over the faucet. That way the towel is the only thing that gets wet. Try it, it might work for you to.

Tiff

I did the same thing the first time I used it. I haven't had that problem since though.

I do the same as the above posters, William. the hand towel gets wet and drips into the sink, problem solved.

Agreed with the above. The water pressure is tremendously high, especially with the valve closed (I've had to actually tighten connections on my sink :p)

Well, erm.. Yeah.

but I shoujldn't have to do it, since I paid money for the thing.. and then I have go go around and still workaround around it so it will work around.

.. What?

Er well. If my choice is putting a hand towel over my facets, or carrying 90 buckets of water each weekend.. I'm going with the hand towel

ferret said:
Er well. If my choice is putting a hand towel over my facets, or carrying 90 buckets of water each weekend.. I'm going with the hand towel

Amen! lol

But honestly I only had the leaking problem the first time I used it. I guess I got lucky.

Due to the fact that I'm still using the plastic fittings (never got around to purchasing brass ones) I don't like over tightening the fittings, so the leaks are to be expected. Fittings too tight and I can't get them off. Overall the hand towels seems to be the best resolution to the issue, at least for me.

William, your point is valid, you shouldn't have to do work-arounds. However, the hand towel beats mopping up an inch of water out of the bathroom!

and it sure beats the bucket brigade :D . It's funny how many people have discovered the hand towel method. I'm gonna phone customer service at Python, id I get a response, I'll let everyone know

My python sprays everywhere too, but I hook it up in my bathtub and can pull the shower curtain over to contain the spray. I can see how it would make a mess if you had it attached to a sink faucet.

BTW, I'm convinced that the Python hardware is made by Melnor, a manufacturer of garden hoses and lawn sprinklers. Python just puts their name on it and jacks up the price 400%.

Open this link and scroll down to the very bottom.
http://www.melnor.com/products/hose_repair.asp
That's the same connector on my python - down to the color of the plastic!

Halfway down this page is the shutoff valve.
http://www.melnor.com/products/other_accessories.asp
$7 at Petco; $2.49 at my garden center!

I bought the deluxe quick-connect kit and an extra hose connect kit at my garden center for $6.99.
http://www.melnor.com/products/quick_connects.asp
Now, I can quickly attach and remove my python from the faucet without the constant worry of stripping the plastic threads. I can also quickly change out the gravel vac attachments at the other end. I have two - one for the big tank and one for the Q/H tank.

Knocking on wood here, but I don't have a problem with my python. I attach it to the kitchen sink. I might get a little spray once in a while or a drip but that's taken care of by the loop I leave in the sink. Water drips down the hose and off the bottom of the loop in the sink.

I have the same problem also.
The plastic pump is striped where it hooks to the faucet.
Sometimes it falls off in the middle of a water change.

GRRR!!!!!! :twisted: :evil:

I phoned Python yesterday. Spoke to the owner and inventor of the product (Lance), who told me he made the first one for himself as an avid hobbyist. Well, a very upfront likeable guy.

I explained that on this forum most had the same complaints and asked for his advice. He did say that some spray couldn't be helped and advised using the brass fitting. There's just so much darn pressure needed to create the flow.

Update. I just wrapped some teflon plumbers tape around the brass fitting. Problem seems to be solved. :D

I have to get the brass fitting! Is it a standard part I could pick up at HD or a plumbing place, or a specialty item only available from python?

Corvu,

Check the garden section at your HD. They sell the brass fittings there together with hose repair kits. Pick up some teflon tape in the plumbing section while you're there too. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom