income tax

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As the Qshark said, What is this re-thing? re-fund?
I have been self employed for over 12 year. It's been a long time since I have gotten a return. Seems like they always want more. :roll:
For those of you getting one.............enjoy. :)
After all, it is your money, not theirs. :wink:

this is my first time ever doing taxes. im not looking forward :eek: . its probably going to drown all of the small amount of money thats in my bank acount. i figure if you cant drive you shouldn't have to file taxes :wink:

I didn't get EIC (missed it by about $2000), but I'm in a single income household, so there wasn't much to tax to begin with.

I am self-employed and I pay taxes quarterly, and I would prefer to pay out exactly what I owe, rather than use the US Gov. as a savings account. I almost always owe more than I pay during the year, because every year I seem to make just a little bit more. The more I make the poorer I get!!

Self-employment taxes are huge - the price I pay to be at home with the kids.... Oh joy. :?

TankGirl said:
...every year I seem to make just a little bit more.
well congrats.... I think? You don't sound to happy about what sounds like success.

It IS success! I am in demand but I'm overextended, meaning I am having to get up earlier and stay up later to get my work done, then I never seem to have enough money to pay the tax man. I have a very good accountant whom I could not live without, though, and he finds all kinds of deductions for me.

Once the twins go to school (Sept. '06, but whose counting? :lol: ) I will be better able to handle the load.

My wife got her w-2 last week I think, but I'm waiting to make sure we have everything we need to file. I'm a little confused about one thing though. After we got our loan(for our house) we only made one payment to this one bank before the loan was sold to another bank. The payment was for something like $480.07(something like that...) and I got something in the mail from that bank saying we paid just over $490 in interest. How could we have paid that much interest when we didn't even pay them that much money in total?
I'm sure I'm like a lot of you, looking forward to a refund but have more things to do with the money than we'll have money for. Where do I start? Driveway, lawn, dishwasher etc, etc... There's also a few fun things I'd like, like a metal detector, a new digital camera, and an antenna for the roof...
we've been fortunate the past few years. We've gotten back more than my wife paid in taxes the entire year. But I wont complain about that.

<BEGIN RANT>

Since I just filed and for the 4th year in a row have to pay in (and I'm still paying 03 and 04) I'm going to blow off some steam.

EICs:

Get real, when you get a tax credit that results in you getting back more than you paid in, it's UNEARNED INCOME (read welfare). People with chidren place more of a burden on government programs than people without children, yet are expected to pay for the programs people with children use? Every time I turn around, I'm getting nailed for a fee or local option tax to pay for schools I don't use, and I hear the people who do use them whining about tuition and other fees they have to pay.

Interest Deductions:

Ludicrous. I rent a house, my rent pays all my landlords expenses. Mortage, interest and property taxes, not to mention maintenance. I have no less expenses in renting than someone buying a home, and my renters insurance is more than a home owners policy would cost me on the same on the same property. The only difference is I don't get the benefit of equity and appreciation. Why in hell should a home owner be allowed a deduction for interest on their mortage without a corresponding, in kind deduction for non-owners?

Business Deductions:

OK, many are legit. many are not. My landlord drives a (extremely gawdy looking) Escalade, loves to tell me how he got to write it off in one year as a business expense, and the tax code that allowed him to do it is supposed to be for companies writing off legitimate business vehicles, not for some fat cat to drive around in a "look at me ain't I grand" POS. I HAVE to have a vehicle to get to work and back and other required aspects of living, but I'm not allowed to write off anything on my rather humble vehicle.

Conclusion:

I see people STRUGGLING everyday trying to get by, they aren't living in mansions, they aren't driving status symbols, they're just trying to earn a living and do their best. If anyone on the planet needs a break it's them. Instead they end up paying for things that other people get the benefit of.

With the exception of the EIC, most deductions and credits are aimed at people who aren't poor, but seem to have no problems making the guy who mows their lawn or cleans their office pay an 8% sales tax just so their snotty little kids can have a new swimming pool at a school where the working poor can't go to because they can't afford to live in the district they're forced to pay for.

I got in an argument once with an idiot complaining about paying too much in taxes and blaming it on the poor and the welfare they receive. He makes about twice as much as I do, but the bottom line was, he actually paid less than I did if you think of it in terms of a percentage of our gross income. If he's burdened by those taxes, what about the people who have to make up for the tax welfare he receives?

</END OF RANT>

Now I'm going to get flamed like a ball park frank .....

I don't think you'll get flamed, but I'm watching all the same. I certainly understand your frustration, but your mixing your taxes, federal income taxes are completely seperate from state income taxes and sales taxes. FWIW, there is nothing wrong with the eic, where people get over is that it is refundable. If it were a non refundable credit, it would be more fair. In addition to some of the things you've mentioned...you take a fairly big hit for being married. Had my wife and I seperated or divorved prior to July 1st of last year and not lived with each other at all for the rest of the year, we would have gotten more than triple our joint return between the two of us.

reefrunner69 said:
you take a fairly big hit for being married. Had my wife and I seperated or divorved prior to July 1st of last year and not lived with each other at all for the rest of the year, we would have gotten more than triple our joint return between the two of us.

aka - The Marriage Penalty. I would be able to save tons of money if my wife and I divorced. I could deduct alimony and child support payments. Expenses that I currently pay and cannot deduct. :eyes:

well, I just did my taxes, with the turbo tax thing. And I must say, I am QUITE happy. I usually do them my self, but this was much easier. And we are getting some back so YEA! :multi:

Troy H said:
I got in an argument once with an idiot complaining about paying too much in taxes and blaming it on the poor and the welfare they receive. He makes about twice as much as I do, but the bottom line was, he actually paid less than I did if you think of it in terms of a percentage of our gross income...

For the record, the more you make the higher the percentage of your income is taxable. Lets just say that I pay more in taxes than most people make annually. While I complain, only because it is just another bill to pay, I am actually happy and grateful to be in that position. In a percentage I would actually bring home more money if I made 1/3 less and were single. Yes that's right, I would net (clear) more money if I made an entire THIRD less than my gross income now. On average nearly 35% of my income goes to the government.

Yes I deduct the interest on my home, and have a small business. Yes I deducted the large vehicle (not an Escalade 'cause my wife said no). And yeah, I have a good accountant.

The bottom line is, I once thought like you; the rich got all the tax breaks and the poor got all the refunds even if unearned. But since I have lived on both ends of the spectrum (Yup, I qualified for EIC in 95, 96 and 97) I have learned while no system is perfect it does maintain a balance.

If you want a big refund, make less money. If you want to complain about paying taxes, make more. And don't tell me it can't be done. I didn't even finish college until after I got the job I have now.

So, as I said in the last post, for those of you get refunds enjoy them and for those of you who don't be thankful you make what you do.

R-

scuba_steve said:
got my w-2 this past week been to lazy to file though :)

Scuba Steve - great icon.. likely not a lot of people recognize it.

Back on topic, anyone know of a good website for tax info? I do my own taxes since two seperate firms, one H&R Block the other private, messed up my taxes. This year I have to deal with something that I haven't in the past and people at work are saying three different things. Would like to hear it from professionals. Maybe I'll look out on the IRS site.

I normally do my own taxes. However, I used one of the tax programs last year. First I did my taxes long hand and then with the program. Came out the same, so why waste the $30.00....

mitche8359 said:
I normally do my own taxes. However, I used one of the tax programs last year. First I did my taxes long hand and then with the program. Came out the same, so why waste the $30.00....
If you have the time to do it both ways, then there is no reason to buy the program.

all the coworkers said the program was getting them a larger return. I decided to try it out myself. Apparently I wasn't missing anything that the software knew about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom