Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2005, 08:45 PM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
you take a fairly big hit for being married. Had my wife and I seperated or divorved prior to July 1st of last year and not lived with each other at all for the rest of the year, we would have gotten more than triple our joint return between the two of us.
aka - The Marriage Penalty. I would be able to save tons of money if my wife and I divorced. I could deduct alimony and child support payments. Expenses that I currently pay and cannot deduct.

Old 01-31-2005, 08:56 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, I just did my taxes, with the turbo tax thing. And I must say, I am QUITE happy. I usually do them my self, but this was much easier. And we are getting some back so YEA!

Old 01-31-2005, 08:57 PM   #33
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meredith
well, I just did my taxes, with the turbo tax thing. And I must say, I am QUITE happy. I usually do them my self, but this was much easier. And we are getting some back so YEA!
Ya...more tanks for Meredith!
Old 01-31-2005, 08:58 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

OHHHH, I think my husband would have a fit! I just might do it!
Old 02-01-2005, 01:12 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to sumphead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy H
I got in an argument once with an idiot complaining about paying too much in taxes and blaming it on the poor and the welfare they receive. He makes about twice as much as I do, but the bottom line was, he actually paid less than I did if you think of it in terms of a percentage of our gross income...
For the record, the more you make the higher the percentage of your income is taxable. Lets just say that I pay more in taxes than most people make annually. While I complain, only because it is just another bill to pay, I am actually happy and grateful to be in that position. In a percentage I would actually bring home more money if I made 1/3 less and were single. Yes that's right, I would net (clear) more money if I made an entire THIRD less than my gross income now. On average nearly 35% of my income goes to the government.

Yes I deduct the interest on my home, and have a small business. Yes I deducted the large vehicle (not an Escalade 'cause my wife said no). And yeah, I have a good accountant.

The bottom line is, I once thought like you; the rich got all the tax breaks and the poor got all the refunds even if unearned. But since I have lived on both ends of the spectrum (Yup, I qualified for EIC in 95, 96 and 97) I have learned while no system is perfect it does maintain a balance.

If you want a big refund, make less money. If you want to complain about paying taxes, make more. And don't tell me it can't be done. I didn't even finish college until after I got the job I have now.

So, as I said in the last post, for those of you get refunds enjoy them and for those of you who don't be thankful you make what you do.

R-
Old 02-01-2005, 08:17 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mitche8359
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba_steve
got my w-2 this past week been to lazy to file though
Scuba Steve - great icon.. likely not a lot of people recognize it.

Back on topic, anyone know of a good website for tax info? I do my own taxes since two seperate firms, one H&R Block the other private, messed up my taxes. This year I have to deal with something that I haven't in the past and people at work are saying three different things. Would like to hear it from professionals. Maybe I'll look out on the IRS site.

55 gal fresh - planted 2wpg ~ Eheim eco filter ~ south american theme
java moss - misc anubia - amazon sword - Red rubin sword - tennellus chain swords
4 ottos, 1 pleco, 3 high fin white tetras, 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 1 high fin black tetra, 1 black tetra, 2 diamond tetras, 3 yoyos

Join the Ohio Regional Forum and share information with local enthusiasts
Vote for Aquarium Advice Today
Old 02-01-2005, 09:23 AM   #37
AA Team Emeritus

http://irs.gov

Turbotax is a great tax software package. It costs @$29.99. and I believe there is a rebate program going now.
Old 02-01-2005, 09:29 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I normally do my own taxes. However, I used one of the tax programs last year. First I did my taxes long hand and then with the program. Came out the same, so why waste the $30.00....

java moss - misc anubia - amazon sword - Red rubin sword - tennellus chain swords
4 ottos, 1 pleco, 3 high fin white tetras, 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 1 high fin black tetra, 1 black tetra, 2 diamond tetras, 3 yoyos

Old 02-01-2005, 10:58 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitche8359
I normally do my own taxes. However, I used one of the tax programs last year. First I did my taxes long hand and then with the program. Came out the same, so why waste the $30.00....
If you have the time to do it both ways, then there is no reason to buy the program.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:58 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

all the coworkers said the program was getting them a larger return. I decided to try it out myself. Apparently I wasn't missing anything that the software knew about.

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com