litres vs uk gallon vs us gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

what you use?

• litres

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • us gallon (3.8)

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • uk gallon (4.5)

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

keenfish

Aquarium Advice Regular
i see alot of people use gallon but how can you tell which gallon you are using as the us gallon is 3.8 litres and the uk is 4.5 so if you got a 25g tank that is 95litres us and 112.5 uk 17.5 litres diff why cant we all use litres that way everyone knows what size you talking about. tell me what you use and why (if you can)

keenfish said:
i see alot of people use gallon but how can you tell which gallon you are using as the us gallon is 3.8 litres and the uk is 4.5 so if you got a 25g tank that is 95litres us and 112.5 uk 17.5 litres diff why cant we all use litres that way everyone knows what size you talking about. tell me what you use and why (if you can)

I use litres as I'm a metric guy ;)
And I must admit, there's a lot confusion for me to need to calculate to either of the gallons

Well I'm in Australia so I use litres however when posting on here I convert to US gallons.

why cant we all use litres that way everyone knows what size you talking about.

Why can't we all use US gallons, that way everyone knows what size you're talking about. ;)

I use US gallons because I'm a US resident and that's what I learned as a child. It's a cultural thing. I have seen no reason to change to accommodate what other countries may use.

The only time it comes into play is in fish forums. I just google the conversion if I need to know in order to help someone.

Personally I think litres would be better.Most of the world embraces the metric system.Imperial measurements have had their day.Long live the metric system LOL

Why can't we all use US gallons, that way everyone knows what size you're talking about. ;)

I use US gallons because I'm a US resident and that's what I learned as a child. It's a cultural thing. I have seen no reason to change to accommodate what other countries may use.

The only time it comes into play is in fish forums. I just google the conversion if I need to know in order to help someone.

like you said you're us im uk so i got tought litres im just saying if someone said i got a 55g tank what g are they talking about? plus most of the shelf tanks are sold in litres and most of fish talk are starting to use metric im just saying it be a lot eaier if everyone used metric because most people know what their conversion is so if i got a 200lt tank you should know straight out your head thats a 52g tank wheres me thats a 44g that way everyone is happy

It's really six of one, half dozen of another. Liters would be easier for you, it wouldn't be for me.

As I said, it's cultural. There's no reason we can't all just stick with what we learned as kids. It would be like if most people speak English (just an example), so everybody needs to speak English, so we all know what's being said. It's a pipe dream. Ain't gonna happen.

keenfish said:
like you said you're us im uk so i got tought litres im just saying if someone said i got a 55g tank what g are they talking about? plus most of the shelf tanks are sold in litres and most of fish talk are starting to use metric im just saying it be a lot eaier if everyone used metric because most people know what their conversion is so if i got a 200lt tank you should know straight out your head thats a 52g tank wheres me thats a 44g that way everyone is happy

I wouldn't say a lot easier for "everyone" maybe some people like to use gallons as were taught, just like you were taught other. Why should we have to change to accommodate others or vise versa? Stick with what you know and what's easier for the individual that's just my opinion.

This topic reminds me of, not sure how many are in the fire, police or other government type services. But they wanted us to go to a standard wording instead of the normal 10-4 type of codes. It was called NIMS, National Incident Management System. It worked for some and others it didn't.

Point being...

If it ain't broke... Why fix it?

Again JMO.

Convict2161 said:
(...)
Point being...

If it ain't broke... Why fix it?

Again JMO.

It may be broken though, since more and more people get confused :)
On the other hand I can't see it going anywhere with 'my way is better, do it my way' attitude, and that's what the discussion slowly turns into :)

I'm metric born and bred and then I came to UK which supposed to be metric since joining EU, except it isn't! And now I have to learn the US measurements as well-- imagine the headache I'm having :)

Anyway, my thought is to compromise, and I can't see it any other way, than clearly stating, which gallons we mean: whether UK or US.

...or switch to litres :hide:

Haha yea I often fall victem to mistaking post about liters/gallons.

Im from the US and its hard being the only country that uses SAE

It's really six of one, half dozen of another. Liters would be easier for you, it wouldn't be for me.

As I said, it's cultural. There's no reason we can't all just stick with what we learned as kids. It would be like if most people speak English (just an example), so everybody needs to speak English, so we all know what's being said. It's a pipe dream. Ain't gonna happen.

Seems to me the last time I was in the US (1997) most liquids were in liters (soda, beer). North American built cars have used metric fasteners since the 80s. US money is metric. Gallons are a poor measurement (even though that is what many of us are used to) as there are more different ones than just the US and Imperial. Liters are liters, everywhere in the world. Metric is far easier to work with when doing calculations. Science has always used metric for this reason, even when I was in school 40+ years ago. The entire metric system is related to water.

I think that the metric system is a far superior system to use. Like BillD said, when you are doing calculations in the metric system you can usually go by 10's. For instance, there are 10mm in 1cm. However in the imperial system you just have to know the conversions: 12 inches in a foot, etc. very few if any of our conversions go by the 10's rule like the metric system. I have got used to using the metric system for all my college science courses, so I think in all actuality we are the ones that need to change our system. Liters is universal and anybody getting on this forum from anywhere in the world wouldn't have a problem.

LyndaB said:

+1. Everyone has to convert at some point in time. I prefer US gallons- not liters. Not everyone can be accommodated. Sorry

I'm in Australia and I use litres. I find I have to convert everything into US gallons so everybody understands. The majority of the members of AA are from the US so I find it a lot less confusing if I just convert before I post help for someone. I prefer metric. One, because I learnt that at school and two, because it it simpler. Everything is in multiples of 10 and that just makes sense to me.

Back
Top Bottom