Long Island AA BBQ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Menagerie said:
we could drive them over the boarder.

When you moved up from the US to Canada you brought live fish with you right? How does that work when crossing the boarder. Is there any special declaration or anything like that? Is it no big deal at all? In my mind I envision them giving you a hard time.. :)

Canadian customs always seem to give ME a hard time. And, I never bring fish across the border. LOL

I used to visit my relatives in Canada at least twice a year--my Grandparents (who I always went with) never got stopped at the border for more than 10 minutes. Most of the time they would just waved them through. When I went alone one year (pre-9/11/01) they stopped me and searched my car for about 45 minutes! Let me tell you, I was thinking of every little thing I could have done in that car as I sat in the booth and waited. They let me go without incident, but it was the longest 45 minutes I ever experienced!

so for anyone that is interested the answer to my previous question looks just like Menagerie said,

As long as an tropical fish isn't on the endangered species list it can be imported with out a permit.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/science/aquaculture/ornamental_e.htm

So did ya'll call each other by your real names, or by your screen names? I always thought it'd be wierd to be in a room with a bunch of people you're used to calling coolcatfish and woahmama online...

Punkymom said:
So did ya'll call each other by your real names, or by your screen names? I always thought it'd be wierd to be in a room with a bunch of people you're used to calling coolcatfish and woahmama online...

We sat around Brian's pool and chatted with each other using laptops and wireless ISPs and we all wore masks to protect our true identities. :p :lol:

Actually, the initial introduction is kinda odd. You say, "Hi, I'm Andy" and the other person really doesn't make a connection until you say "I'm QTOFFER online". The other funny thing is that you feel as if you've known the other person for months even though you just met face-to-face.

QTOFFER said:
We sat around Brian's pool and chatted with each other using laptops and wireless ISPs and we all wore masks to protect our true identities. :p :lol:

I want the transcript from the chat.. :) especially the tour of BrianNY's tanks!!!! :D

Upon first meeting everyone it was an odd mixture of comfortness and awkwardness...only cause you know them, but not really their faces or their movements, facial expressons, etc.

Punkymom said:
So did ya'll call each other by your real names, or by your screen names?
It was odd--I was the last to arrive and I walked in and Brian asked if I knew who everyone was. Totally unfair since Allivymar was out of the room and her husband was there. I knew everyone's names from e-mailing and I could have made a better effort guessing due to other pics on this site, but I didn't risk it. I should have. Admittedly I would have switched QTOFFER with Allivymar's husband (don't ask :roll:) When the number of people did not match up with how many people I knew should be there I decided not to play "name that AA member" :lol:

LOL, Meghan. I did that to Lori when she and Daniel arrived. She looked scared and scanned the group of 5 or 6 of us (some of whom are not AA members) :wink:

Pregnant silence...

So I said: "Ok; I'm Jon" etc.

Gee, I was just trying to break the ice for Lori and Meghan. Jon, Alli, Andy and I all know each other from the GCAS.

In any event, no one bit each other or even snarled. *LOL*

That's interesting that you say that, Punkymom, since I try to remember to use my real name (Liz) when using PM's and the like, but it is hard to remember. I remember BrianNY chiding me for this once (Hey, do you have a real name, or what?)

I figure when the day comes that I meet some of the AA folks I will just get a T-shirt made up with my avatar, and LIZ printed with it to keep it simple, LOL! It is much easier to drift back into alter-ego land....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom