Marinades! It's Grilling Season Again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
Daniel and I are buying our very first grill together on Saturday. (yaaaaaaaaay!)

I am looking for some good marinades, rubs, seasonings, etc. foor burgers, steaks, and salmon!

(wonders how long it will take SerLunchBox to jump in! :lol: :lol: )

I haven't tried it, but my dad loves to grill salmon on a plank of some kind of wood, and he rubs the salmon in mayo and dill. He says yes, it sounds gross, but its good. We shall see.

Grilling!

For chicken... I swear by Lawry's Mesquite with lime juice marinade. It's says its a 15 minute marinade. But put the chicken in a ziploc bag with plenty of marinade poured in and put in the fridge overnight. When grilling the chicken, splash the excess marinade from the ziploc onto the chicken. I dream about the chicken in my sleep.

For Steak... Try A1 steakhouse marinade. Do the ziploc bag as above overnight. And pour excess over as you are grilling.

For pork chops... Just simple spicy BBQ is what I like best... I spread it with a brush as I grill. For pork you can also try marinading overnight in apple juice with a little vanilla extract. My wife swears by it... But I still prefer plain old BBQ sauce on my pork.

We live off our grill... Best INVESTMENT we ever made... Next to my aquarium, OF COURSE!!! :)

I highly recommend slicing a red onion into 1" slices (horizontally, if looking @ the onion from the 'side') and throwing it on the grill just like that. Let it go for about 20 mins, until it just start to carmelize - YUM.

Soon enough, I'll be doing just this - I think we're actually grilling burgers tonight. :D

Also

I forgot... For you corn lovers... Since corn is back in season! Man I miss growing up in Nebraska... The corn ain't quite as good in Cali...

Anyway... Take the whole husk of corn. Throw it all on the grill turning regularly over very high heat. Let the grean leaves burn.... Once the outside is pretty burnt, dehusk and ready to eat... Butter ain't even needed at this point.... Eat as is!

Great with burgers. On my burgers, I baste with Worcerster sauce... I mix a splash of topatio sauce with the worcester to kick it up a bit.

Don't know if you're into shrimp on the Bar B but here's my specialty:

Several Large Shrimp (As many as you want...not the Jumbo...doesn't grill well)
Gobs of Sea Scallops

Marinate the shrimp and scallops in butter, garlic Ms. Dash's Seasoning and just a tingle of red pepper.

Place shrimp and scallops on skewers...drop on grill...baste with remaining butter marinade.

More on shrimp

I grill scallops and shrimp almost the same way... I go extra heavy on the garlic... And I space the scallops and shrimp on the skewer with a little piece of bacon.

Daniel and I are buying our very first grill together on Saturday. (yaaaaaaaaay!)

Gas or Charcoal? Granted, it takes extra time and makes more mess, but I'm a charcoal/wood guy all the way.

If you grill with charcoal, and use various wood chunks for their added smoke flavors, marinades aren't even needed for beef, pork, or chicken. Depending on the flavor you are going for, good smoke woods include hickory, apple, oak, and mesquite.

If you are getting a gas grill, I believe many of them can be equipped with a device that allows you to add wood chips down into the flame area, supposedly getting the same smoky benefits. (I have no exp. with this, don't really trust that it would taste the same, but I'm obviously biased!)

my dad loves to grill salmon on a plank of some kind of wood, and he rubs the salmon in mayo and dill.
I've done this with salmon on a plank of Cedar wood, it is very good, but I season the salmon with olive oil/salt/pepper/lemon, I'm not a fan of either mayo or dill.

One more tip I got from a friend of mine who's a professional meat cutter. For steaks, remove them from the fridge about 1 hour before grilling, let the steak reach room temperature. I really don't know how or why this works, but steaks stay more tender and juicy this way. No more than 1 hour, you don't want an E-coli event!

let the steak reach room temperature. I really don't know how or why this works, but steaks stay more tender and juicy this way

I heard the other day a commercial for a grocery store that "ages" its meat for two weeks. It supposedly makes the meat more tender. I am sure its done very safely, but that just doesn't sit well with me.

but I'm a charcoal/wood guy all the way.

This is also our preferred method.

My mom swears by boiling her chicken before grilling also. She says it stays juicy this way. Haven't tried that though.

we are going with a gas grill. I got the guys at work in a debate on gas vs. charcoal grills, lol.

I use a homemade cajun spice on everything, it's not too spicy and brings out the flavor of what ever your cooking.

Soak chicken overnight in Kraft roasted red pepper and parmesian italian dressing and add McCormick Grill Mates Roasted Garlic Motreal chicken seasoning. You get awesome flavoring from the grill. (y)

I'm a gas grill guy too. I grill 12 months a year, at least once per week even with 12' of snow.

For my typical burgers, I add garlic powder, minced onion and some black pepper to the meat, mix it, patty it, and grill it. It's not fancy, but it's tasty.

For chicken It all depends. I just tried the Sweet Baby Ray's marinade and it's pretty decent. I've also done the minced garlic, teriyaki and soy sauce route with much success.

Try everything once is my opinion.

Here ya go.

2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground red pepper
2 tablespoons black pepper
3 tablespoons dried sweet basil leaves
1 tablespoon salt (optional)
1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
1 tablespoon ground white pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder

Combine all ingredients and store in a tightly sealed container.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom