Marinades! It's Grilling Season Again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
that does sound good - thanks!!

*UPDATE* We got the grill! The first store was out of it, so we had to travel all the way to philly to another store that had them in stock! Daniel is assembling right now! Woo-hoo!

We've got a gas grill and I often wonder how much 'authentic grilled taste' I'm trading in for the convenience of an electric ignition. . . :\

The only thing that 'keeps meat juicier' is not overcooking it. The days of chewing pork chops forever are long gone around our house - we purposefully try not to cook like our parents (and Betty Crocker) did. :D

I've recently discovered smoking chips for my grill. I have both a charcoal grill and a gas grill. Charcoal definitely tastes better... But I probably haven't used it in 6 months. And I grill 3 times a week. Gas is much easier.

At Home Depot, I bought a little smoking tray... It was like 5 bucks. You just put the tray on the rack filled with smoking chips. It makes any kind of meat much much better.

I am not hispanic, but my husband works as a distributer for a spanish food company and the Goya brand Mojo makes an awesome marinade, especially for chicken. You have to be careful which brand you buy though because some brands are'nt very good. I have found that all the Goya marinades are really good.
Also, I love this stuff called Colgin Liquid Smoke, they have mesquite, apple, and other flavores. You can brush it directly on the meat, or you can brush it onto the grill for a more subtle flavor. Great for steaks and burgers. They also make a Colgin Honey Lime flavor marinade.

I heard the other day a commercial for a grocery store that "ages" its meat for two weeks.

My husband worked as a meat cutter as well, and he used to bring home the steak that was about to go out of date, it was always the best steak. And you don't have to worry about bacteria as long as you cook it done all the way.

I am however a fan, for all my meats. Garlic Pepper and All Purpose seasoning. Its simple, and my favorite.

dogspot said:
I've recently discovered smoking chips for my grill. I have both a charcoal grill and a gas grill. Charcoal definitely tastes better... But I probably haven't used it in 6 months. And I grill 3 times a week. Gas is much easier.

At Home Depot, I bought a little smoking tray... It was like 5 bucks. You just put the tray on the rack filled with smoking chips. It makes any kind of meat much much better.

we were thinking about smoking chips and a box - now we will probably get it...thanks!

AshleyNicole - Daniel is a huge fan of Goya products, I will definitly let him know!

The fear I've heard about smoking trays is that the meat gets 'oversmoked' - something I'm not guessing I'd enjoy.

Hints on actually using the tray? I seem to remember seeing Alton Brown (foodtv.com) using a foil tray that he made for this. . .

I'd try it tonight, but we don't have the 'chips. :d

I've never "oversmoked" my meat. I can't seem to get enough smokey flavor in my meat. I was thinking of getting a second tray. The tray I use is just a cheap little metal tray, but it serves its purpose. I really like the smokey flavor. I probably wouldn't notice if it was "oversmoked" anyway.

You could put in less smoking chips to avoid oversmoking.

Also, I have discovered Emeril's spice. I sprinkle it in with my marinade and a little as I am grilling. It's pretty good.

I also have never heard of over smoking, Shoot when I break out the brinkman charcoal grill/smoker, I get me a good cooking fire started and toss on some (quite a few) wet hickory chunks (I cut them myself) and watch the smoke rise, my wife says I smell just as good as the meat when I get done. :mrgreen:

Anyone have a chance to try my spice out yet? I'm making beef jerkey this weekend and sprinkling it on lightly. :mrgreen:

For all you charcoal/wood grillers out there - we don't do it any other way, and there is a device that speeds up the process immensely and eliminates the need for lighter fluid (which we hate). It is what looks like a large can that is open on both ends and has a wood handle on the side. It has a grate built inside. You fill it up with charcoal briquets and stuff newspaper in the bottom section, which is separated by the grate. You light the newspaper and this starts the charcoal burning. No fluid necessary. In about 15 minutes the briquets are getting the ash on the outside and are ready. Dump the thing out into the bottom of the grill and get down to business. We got ours at the grocery store but I have seen them at Walmart and Kmart.

We just grilled chicken and chops last night, marinaded with our beloved Mojo, and you just can't beat it. We fire up the grill often, even in winter.

I have never tried it, but I have heard the Beer Can Chicken technique is awesome.

I've made this pizza in the oven....but not on the grill (yet). I'm thinking it would be really yummmmmy on the grill.

Soft tortilla shell, brushed with olive oil
Pizza/pasta sauce (I shake on extra oregano and garlic powder)
Your choice of pizza toppings cut small - I like mushrooms, green peppers, olives, brocolli, pieces of pre-cooked (or grilled) chicken, etc.
Shredded mozarella cheese
Cook in 375 oven for 15-20 minutes (or on GRILL - don't know how long)

One tortilla pizza feeds one hungry adult if that's all they're having....but with other sides, etc. you could probably feed 2 people with one pizza. :)

I just purchased a "veggie grilling" skillet....you set it directly on the grill...it has small holes to let fire/heat in but keeps veggies from falling into the grill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom