Moving with fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChanEKC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a 29g tropical brackish water tank with 6 mollies and a Violet Goby. No live plants I gave up on that after my Java ferns died. We're going to be moving in the next couple weeks just a couple miles down the road and was hoping to get some tips. I know I'll have to empty out the tank that thing is waaay too heavy to lift and I'm worried that even if we could lift it the tank would crack. I figured I could put them in seporate containers but I'm worried that it would be an hour or two till I could refill the tank again. I only have a 2.5g jug for "clean fish" water and a 5g "dirty fish" water that I do my water changes with so max I can only take 7.5g of already prepared water with me. Also I have sand substrate and I was wondering if it was safe to transfer the tank with the substrate or if I should remove as much as I can.

You can probably buy 5g buckets with lids at a local hardware store for a few dollars each if you want to take more water. But, IMO, 7.5g should be enough. Most of your beneficial bacteria will be in your filter media and substrate/decor, not in the water column. If you put your filter media in a container of tank water to keep it wet, it should be fine. Your fish should also be fine. Maybe fast them for a day before moving so they don't soil their transport water too much.

I have moved comets in those big buckets that Tidy cats comes in before

I opened the lid every few km to replace the air, then closed it so we didn't spill

I realize now that cat litter buckets could e toxic.......but you could do the same with a (new) rubber maid tub

5 gallons buckets are worth the money when it means saving your beneficial bacteria! Don't worry as much about the water. Put the substrate in the buckets. Keep it wet. Keep it oxygenated.

I agree on fasting.

If you have a good LFS you can get their water or a friend. Just get the right parameters.

Back
Top Bottom