Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2008, 12:20 AM   #51
Aquarium Advice Regular

Mac's are great machines.. they've slowly taken over my life. My gaming rig PC at home is now the only non-mac I use between work, school and home. I'm even starting to consider running Mandriva on this thing instead of Vista. Whether Unix outperforms windows depends on the task at hand, when it comes to security Unix certainly has a better model than windows XP. The only problem with Macs these days is the price tag but if you're willing to pay it they make excellent desktop systems.

My boyfriend and I ran into an issue like this on a PC his parents asked us to look at, some "fake" antivirus was messing with windows. It was a mess to remove that one as well. It's sad but true that reinstalling windows is often the easiest way to deal with stuff like this.. but sometimes that's just not an option.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #52
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I wasn't prepared to do it because I had not backed up all my pics and things. The last time my nephews messed up my computer I lost over 30gigs of music.

Oh...btw...someone said something about ctrl+alt+delete and stop the application. Just so you know what ever version of the malware I had on my computer it disabled my control panel, task manager, and all other windows related utilities. I had to go in through the back door...explorer...to get to any usable program.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:35 PM   #53
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to Tank2379 Send a message via Yahoo to Tank2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
I wasn't prepared to do it because I had not backed up all my pics and things. The last time my nephews messed up my computer I lost over 30gigs of music.

Oh...btw...someone said something about ctrl+alt+delete and stop the application. Just so you know what ever version of the malware I had on my computer it disabled my control panel, task manager, and all other windows related utilities. I had to go in through the back door...explorer...to get to any usable program.
Yeah most Malware is very bad and it looks like you might of have a bad one, some of them you can just Disable it throught the task manager but thats not always true... Sorry I use to be a programmer and a Hardware tech (Still work on the side like ccCapt does) but not really into the field like I use to be... but anyways these malware can be altered at anytime before they are release...
Tank2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #54
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I'm just glad it is gone. My computer is swept daily now for them.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:53 AM   #55
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to marchmaxima
I've come in a bit late to this discussion.... I missed this thread.

Agree that there is always ways to fix a problem, but I have to confess, I do I rebuild my PCs every couple of years, but that's cos I'm constantly mucking around with things, putting things on, taking things off, etc... Fortuinately this process is much easier that it used to be with Nortons Ghost! I have an image for each PC, so (assuming I keep to my regular backup routines) I can re-image a PC in 20 minutes. I can not crow about it enough!

If you can, use a hardware firewall. No anti-virus is fool-proof and there is no anti-virus package out there that is guarenteed to take care of all malware, viruses, etc. All the ones mentioned here are good (assuming you definitions are up to date) and everyone will have their own favourites. Personally, I use AVG on all my machines. It's as good as any of the others, but it has the added benefit of being free.

Glad you fixed the issue.
marchmaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:09 PM   #56
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Thanks for all the info. Once upon a time I knew how to deal with things on a pc, I've been out of it for far too long to have even a slight idea on how to fix anything.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com