Need some Computer help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
screen flashing, is prob "refresh rate", try changing it, then back to what you like.

Otherwise have no clue, sounds strange

Ziggy, can you back up you data? If I feel better tomorrow, I can head down there and see what I can do. I would definitely suggest trying to do a back up and then possibly a system restore (if you have the windows recovery disk). You might also want to check microsoft's website and see if they have something that can remove it.

So far the programs that ccCapt and Tank have pointed me to have removed the mess. The computer is rebooting now so we will see if the monitor issue continues. Until about an hour ago I couldn't access my data to back it up. I was able to dump most of it on a second hard drive. I'm only concerned with my pictures. I don't do anything important on the computer so I not going to lose anything that I'll regret.

I appreciate the offer! I can't find my original disks for the infected machine.

Well...combofix may have done the trick. So far the monitor has not flashed but there are things still loading and combofix is doing something still.

Ok...the monitor is still blinking off and on every 10-15 seconds. I checked the refresh rate and it is set at 60hrtz. I'm not sure what the heck is causing it....I swear I'm going to get a Mac!

The ironic thing about all this is it is messing with Internet Explorer. I don't use IE, I use firefox. I got tired of IE crapping out on me all the time. UGH! I don't want to be a PC anymore.....

HHHHMMMM, I will try to figure out your issue and see what we could do to fix it I am pretty sure it's probably one click away from being fixed.....

Aside from the monitor blinking the computer is running fine. I no longer have the "virus alert" message on the task bar. All traces, as far as I know, of the malware are gone. The blinking off and on is a bit of a pain but other then that everything seems to be back to normal.

Aside from the monitor blinking the computer is running fine. I no longer have the "virus alert" message on the task bar. All traces, as far as I know, of the malware are gone. The blinking off and on is a bit of a pain but other then that everything seems to be back to normal.

Have you tried running your McAfee Security System yet?

It is running right now. That takes a lot of time to finish a complete scan. After it is finished if it doesn't correct the issue then I'm going to restore to a previous date and see if that fixes it. When this issue started I was unable to do that as the malware had disabled my restore software. Maybe it will work now.

Speed mentioned the blinking being the refresh rate.
Right click on a blank area of your desktop, highlight "properties". Click on the "settings" tab. Click "advanced". Click on the "monitor" tab and adjust the "screen refresh rate". Mine is set on 75Hertz. Try a few different rates if that setting doesn't work for you.
If that doesn't work, make sure the plug into your video card is snug.

What kind of computer system do you have is it a BYO or was it from a Manufacturer? and your Monitor what kind is it?

After the security scan is complete I will try all the different settings and see what happens. I did check the monitor plug and it is secure.

Just wondering maybe for some odd reason at the same time your destroying your Malware you Graphics card could be going bad on you at the same time but not for sure yet....

It is a nothing facny eMachine. I guess it is possible that the vid card is acting up but somehow I doubt it. The blinking business started when the malware was downloaded. My nephew got on the computer right after I got off the computer. It was working fine for me all day that day and after about 30 minutes he asked me why the screen kept blinking. I wanted to smack him upside the head.

The monitor is a LCD flat panel. Nothing facny about it either.

Ok, my blinking issue has gone now. My security software has removed 3 viruses and that seems to have corrected the blinking. It's still scanning but no more blink blink.

Nice! I was getting kind of confused why it wasn't going to stop blinking your blinking issue might of been a Virus in the first place when your Nephew told you the first time it was blinking... But nice smack in the head he probably desires another one for the issues he cause you today...LOL... jk... but glad everything is working OK now....

Back
Top Bottom