Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #111
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
hpiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywhitney View Post
depends on the specs of the unit of course but you're effectively running a refrigeration unit on your tank.
A friend with one says it's the equivalent of running a medium size window air conditioner year round on their electric bill.
__________________

__________________
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #112
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
TankMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy
I will always prefer freshwater planted tanks. The green and wood look is very calming to me. It looks soft, calm and relaxing.

I think saltwater tanks are cool and I enjoy looking at other's tank, but will never set one up for myself.
I agree. :hehe:
__________________

__________________
FW Fish-keeper. "Live baby, live".
75g
10g(x3)
7g
TankMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:21 AM   #113
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy
but will never set one up for myself.
Exactly..you have never set one up
__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #114
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
hpiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66 View Post
Exactly..you have never set one up
I said I like how they look, but do not want to own one.

Mixing salt for water changes and such has zero appeal for me at all.

Just my opinion.
__________________
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:35 PM   #115
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy

I said I like how they look, but do not want to own one.

Mixing salt for water changes and such has zero appeal for me at all.

Just my opinion.
But how can you ALWAYS prefer fw if you will NEVER try sw? Thats like looking at a food and hating it just based off of looks!

Haha i hope that isnt the only thing holding you back
__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #116
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
hpiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 417
I always prefer FW because I have friends with SW. I see them, I like them, then I'm drawn to the FW tanks full of plants and wood and stay there longer. Every single time.

I do watch the reef tanks, the life in them, all that stuff. I'm glad others keep them so I can enjoy them. Great stuff.

If SW was really easy, like if someone made a premix machine that measured and did it all and was reasonable priced, I'd give it a shot. That's probably not going to happen.

BUT, and I know this is blasphemy, I'm setting up a fake coral FW tank with some colorful fish. Because I enjoy the SW look (again, not as much as FW planted) but do not want the added maintenance of mixing the water each time. So this will suffice for me. I saw some on You Tube and thought they were cool. Going to give it a shot and see what I get.

I prefer the look of FW planted, always will. I don't hate SW, I like it. But it's not in my future to own a real one with coral, which is what this topic is about.
__________________
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:56 PM   #117
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Gboy66's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Cali baby
Posts: 6,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy
I always prefer FW because I have friends with SW. I see them, I like them, then I'm drawn to the FW tanks full of plants and wood and stay there longer. Every single time.

I do watch the reef tanks, the life in them, all that stuff. I'm glad others keep them so I can enjoy them. Great stuff.

If SW was really easy, like if someone made a premix machine that measured and did it all and was reasonable priced, I'd give it a shot. That's probably not going to happen.

BUT, and I know this is blasphemy, I'm setting up a fake coral FW tank with some colorful fish. Because I enjoy the SW look (again, not as much as FW planted) but do not want the added maintenance of mixing the water each time. So this will suffice for me. I saw some on You Tube and thought they were cool. Going to give it a shot and see what I get.

I prefer the look of FW planted, always will. I don't hate SW, I like it. But it's not in my future to own a real one with coral, which is what this topic is about.
Lol but there are those machines. Every lfs should have them..spend a couple bucks tops every week fpr a water change dude.

Haha seems like your trying to setup the reef tank's little brother there! Sounds cool though
__________________
Gboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:09 PM   #118
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
TankMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ, USA
Posts: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy
I always prefer FW because I have friends with SW. I see them, I like them, then I'm drawn to the FW tanks full of plants and wood and stay there longer. Every single time.

I do watch the reef tanks, the life in them, all that stuff. I'm glad others keep them so I can enjoy them. Great stuff.

If SW was really easy, like if someone made a premix machine that measured and did it all and was reasonable priced, I'd give it a shot. That's probably not going to happen.

BUT, and I know this is blasphemy, I'm setting up a fake coral FW tank with some colorful fish. Because I enjoy the SW look (again, not as much as FW planted) but do not want the added maintenance of mixing the water each time. So this will suffice for me. I saw some on You Tube and thought they were cool. Going to give it a shot and see what I get.

I prefer the look of FW planted, always will. I don't hate SW, I like it. But it's not in my future to own a real one with coral, which is what this topic is about.
I've always thought the FW reed setup was kinda cool.... I look forward to pictures! Lol
__________________
FW Fish-keeper. "Live baby, live".
75g
10g(x3)
7g
TankMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:54 PM   #119
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
skywhitney's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 2,167
I completely understand where hpiguy is coming from, SW is a BIG undertaking (specially at first, trust me i'm losing my mind lol). The look of a nice planted tank brings a relaxing low key environment compared to a reef system that usually is exciting and full of activity. This is why i'm going to have both
__________________
Saltwater: 120g Mixed Reef :|: 20g Mixed Reef
Freshwater: 93g Planted Community
Other: 100g Amazon Milk Frog Vivarium :|: 40b Ghost Cornsnake Terrarium
skywhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #120
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mrc8858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 5,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywhitney
I completely understand where hpiguy is coming from, SW is a BIG undertaking (specially at first, trust me i'm losing my mind lol). The look of a nice planted tank brings a relaxing low key environment compared to a reef system that usually is exciting and full of activity. This is why i'm going to have both
Can't agree with you more on the start up as I feel I'm on the last leg of my reef tank to completion but looking back on it I feel it gives me a much greater feel of accomplishment to bring all the variables together to house a living growing reef in your home then a planted tank (no offense intended and strictly Jmo). It's for sure not for everyone though but those who have decided to take the reef route should know what I'm talking about
__________________

__________________
Mrc8858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coral, corals, plant, planted

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.