Pronunciations. . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What about Ctenopoma? I took four years of Latin and I still can't pronounce it. I can barely spell it.

Okay this thread diffinantly peeked my interest. Sorry for this but I had to, like they say curiosity killed the cat.

Petsmart...............Is it PET SMART, or PETS MART? Larry the cable guy didn't quite finish answering dat dare question for me. LOL

I'd thought so too, but I've seen stockholder newsletters announcing their new campaign emphasizing the "smart" part. "Smart is having..." their service/product/whatever. So it goes either way, and I bet that's the intention.

But that's a little OT :)

afishyonados said:
Oh yeah? Two of my favorites...

Pterogoplichthys multiradiatus

Ooh, you're just posing a challenge here!

tero-gop-lick-thiss multi-raidy-artus

or, better yet...

Cryptocentrus leptocephalus

crypt-o-sent-russ leapt-o-kepha-lus

Anonymous said:
This is going to sound silly, and i don't remeber if these were mentioned but....

Acei (Ace- EEEE - eye? or A-Sigh?)

I usually say Ace-Eye for these lil cichlids

And 'cichlids' is sick-lids :p And you know it :p lol

I used to always say krib-en-sis too, until one day the lfs lady got all puffy about it.

I'm pretty sure she corrected me to krib-en-zies, but I can's recall for sure...all I remember is her scaring me...

Hehe, the "LFS lady" (as the persona is now known) is usually a scary one. Mine totally dictates my stocking, my tanks and my setups. I've actually gone off going there and my friend rarely goes anymore. E.g. cichlids: I wanted 2 males + 6 female pseudotropheus saulosi to reduce aggression. Oh no, she orders in 4 pairs (turns out to be 5 males, so they didn't even get that right!) because she thinks thats best.
I mean, there's informing your customer/making sure fish are going to a good home, and then there's customer service ;-) :)

Rant over!

I know, why don't we call 'em kribs an then we'll never get told off! :)

What can I say, I'm just a posh Brit :p

I guess in an American accent it would be: multi-radiators ? :D ;)

As I scrolled down, I was wondering if anyone was gonna do gourami. thanks..I was saying gwa-romi.heehee...and it IS en-em-onee

Back
Top Bottom