Pronunciations. . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
or, better yet...

Cryptocentrus leptocephalus crypt-o-sent-russ leapt-o-kepha-lus

I disagree with this one. I believe it is leapt-o-cef-a-lus. Like cephalic as in head region.

ok heres a hard one riccia looked it up on wiki and couldn't find one like to go buy some but i don't want to sound like an idiot when i go into the store

Riccia? Oh you got me on that one. Never heard of that at all...

Old thread... thought id give my two cents here... tried reading through, but gave up after page 10... sorry if there are any duplicates...

Mbuna - um boo nuh
Acei - A See EYE
Kenyi- Ken Yie
Labidachromis- Luh Bid A Chrome isss
Psuedotropheus- Sue dough tro fee us
Brichardi- Bri Shar Die
Tanganyika- Tan jan yee kah

For the most part, most african cichlids (sick lids) that end in an "i" end with the pronunciation of "eye"... I just recently learned that tanganyika is not tan gan yee kah, but the "g" is pronounced as a "j"... interesting stuff

oh, dear

i am australian living in the south here (GA). the NAMES i have come across!!
even mine.. sarah... Say Ruh... i mean really?

as far as it goes (which is no help at all really) if i get lost, i say "ooh, that one!" lol:oops:

i WAS using SICH lid, now i will go with sick lid. Thanks you guys

but i did hear a guy asking for an "ayl BAH no COH ree" when he wanted an albino cory. hmm. but then a lot sounds funny to me around here :)

You're right. Bet-uh does sound a bit more yankee than bay-ta. LOL :clown: Regardless, for many of us the way this is prounounced is almost a preference rather than a pursuit of phonetical correctness (pc!). :lol: LOL! :)soap: Though I do think there is a "correct" way to say things even across accents! -- --- linguistics major here :mrgreen: ). Maybe we've kind of beaten ("BEE-ten") this to death about betta fish? :lol: :smilecolros:

For us interested folks and for the sake of fun :multi: , AshlyNicole, there is a way to test if your "bayta" is a genuine difference in dialect or if it isn't. (well, sort of test... it's like the difference between a poor dip test and a master test kit "chemistry" style test -- so not to be taken as extremely accurate :p ) Anyway, are there other words where you say it with a long "a" (as in "say") rather than a short "e" (as in "head")? If so, then you are correct.

For you...
Is weather = wethr or wayther?
Is bed = bed or is it bay-ed?
Is better = bedr or betr or baydr?
Is fester = festr or faystr?
Is guest = gest or gayst?
Is pecker = pekr or paykr? (as in wood pecker)

I always said "bay-ta" myself because the fish was always labeled "beta" (as in the 2nd letter of the greek alphabet). In my dialect (midwest accent) though "betta" and "beta" have different pronouniations (short "e" vs. long "a"). So I learned it wrong and I'm trying to get myself changed over.

HTH.
coolchinchilla /QUOTE]

I'm heavily influenced by my Japanese major to use Japanese pronunciations on everything, so lets just pretend we're exotic when we say bay-ta. (The extra t is just a gloital stop. bayt-ta)

well, dictionary.com, along with alot of forums say it's pronounced (to be 'g' rated) the same as a female dog, with an 'er' at the end... the french apparently pronounce it beesheer

well, dictionary.com, along with alot of forums say it's pronounced (to be 'g' rated) the same as a female dog, with an 'er' at the end... the french apparently pronounce it beesheer

Thanks, now its gonna be tough trying not to makes with that around my friends. Haha

I just saw it earlier, and it said "bose-mahn-eee." Who knows though LOL.
I need to start looking at spellings more often, I always thought it was bo-samee. HAHA!

dkpate said:
I just saw it earlier, and it said "bose-mahn-eee." Who knows though LOL.
I need to start looking at spellings more often, I always thought it was bo-samee. HAHA!

Hehe..that's how I was pronouncing it! No wonder the guy at the fish store chuckled! Lol well, now I know.

Back
Top Bottom