Puppies and old dogs :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rach101

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering if there was a way to get the two to get along

I own a small yorkie mutt, that is older.
Recently we have been taking care of the neighbors puppy rot (( Shes big, about.. Six months-1 year old)) Under....certain circumstances.
(( the neighbor was starving their dog, and then abandoned her, when they moved out ))

Anyways, shes the sweetest dog, but shes very playful, and being as big as she is, and as small as my older, grouchy dog is, they havent been able to get along. Weve been keeping Mooch (( my little yorkie mut )) in my room, and the big dog around the house. We have tried to introduce them by keeping them in the same room, while two of us secure jada (( Yes it is necessary for two of us ;_; )) and mooch walks around, but he usually starts growling at her and nips first.

Is there any way we can let them get used to eachother? Can they? are we doing the right or wrong thing?

I would try letting Mooch have the run of the house and let the new dog have the smaller area, after it is Mooch's house. Exchange toys, blankets whatever might have the scent of the other dog for them to get used to the smell of each other. Much the same way as cats. It will be hard for Mooch to like the new dog as she has lost her territory to the new dog. Give her the territory back and let her feel like it is still her house and you might have them getting along in no time. Good luck.

Always give Mooch stuff first, whether it attention, food, treats or water. Have them both lay on an article of clothing (a towel) switch the two articles Mooch has the rotties and vise versa.

some dogs will never adjust to a new dog, there is not often much you can do with the dogs, its likew people. but give them time, they will get use to each other eventually, go outside, let tem loose i n a area the is neather of theirs (not your back yard), befor you let them both in the house it would have been easire to introduce them.....
~splash :D

We got a poodle pup for my kids after their old pomeranian died of heart failure. The older dog in our house is a flat-coated retriever. It was easy bringing in the puppy for us, but it was an ideal situation. We've always had one small breed with our big dog so, he's just used to having them around and the puppy came from a home where the breeders end up with a lot of dump-offs (people dump their dog off in the country instead of being responsible) so, the puppy was extremely well socialized and knew how to get along with other dogs.

Your's is not an ideal situation. Smaller dogs tend to make up for their size with attitude and Mooch is going to fight for his territory and your love. I'm sure the rottie must be desperate for love and attention because of it's start in life and that will complicate matters. Every pat you give the rottie will seem like a betrayal to Mooch. Have you consulted with an obedience trainer or a vet? They can sometimes be really helpful. Mooch's nipping at the rottie is pretty much what I've always seen with our dogs... the little one is always the aggressor. If the rottie has a really good disposition and can put up with the abuse it might work. My flatcoat will put up with just about anything from a small breed but if I tried to bring another large breed dog in the house, he'd kill it (I'm not joking, I have to muzzle him to take him to the vet's or the groomer's).

So, I guess each dog is unique (like someone else said, they are just like people) and there's no telling for certain whether or not this will work until it plays out. Consult a few people who know what they are doing and try different things but, make sure you give Mooch ALOT of attention.

My favorite subject. I've been working with and training dogs my whole life. Keep them together for a bit, always supervised. If the pup plays too rough let the older dog growl and nip. This is how puppies learn how to properly play and interact with other dogs. Growling and a quick nip is dog speak for "stop it". When that doesn't work the older dog might raise the punishment, but it won't come to a fight or injuries. A lot of people mistake this for aggression on the part of the older dog, but the olderdog is in perfect control and using properdog language to train the younger one. He's not being agressive or overreacting and he's not hurting the younger dog, its just a quick correction. Eventually with socialization with many dogs the pup will learn how to behave properly.

When I was younger we had a black labrador named Barney, he was getting on a bit when we got our puppy dog.
I think the best thing is to let them get on with it and give them time.
Also dont leave the old dog out when you pet the new puppy... Dogs get jealous too!
We had alot of incidents of Barney snapping at the puppy (one so bad it involved the vet :( ) but time is the best solution for everything, he will get used to the puppy, and if it is like our old dog, the pup will give him a new lease of life!
:D

Well, the landlord came back into town after two months of no rent.
We talked to him, told him how we were taking care of the dog, how we had been for the entire month, and he said it was great that someone could keep him, hoped we would be happy etc.
So the next day a police officer shows up on the door, says the landlord called him that morning to come get the dog while he was out there, also checking out the former residents stuff.
Had to give the dog back, after a month of owning her.
Needless to say we are a bit..Irked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom