Question of morals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HAVAMAL

Aquarium Advice Freak
It is said that you should only have no more than one Black Ghost Knife in your tank, first off is it right to subject them to not having another of it's species to be with?
Regardless of the reasons why, is it humane to do this to the creature?
Second I'm sure in nature they swim together with no consequences?
So is it morally correct for us as aquarist to keep species like this?

Given adequate amounts of space, I see no reason not to. As you mentioned, they obviously encounter each other often in the wild, and what do most aquarists strive to do: create the most realistic environment in a close system that they can. As long as the space is appropriate, I don't see any problems.

I am going to chime in here and say that it is recommended not to have more than 1 in a tank because they are known to be aggressive and territorial. They are not a schooling fish, so why would you want to have another of their species for them to be with? In the wild, they live in much larger areas than we provide in a tank, so they can establish a territory and keep other bgk's out of it (with the obvious exception of breeding). If a tank does not provide enough space to do that (which would be a HUGE tank), then no, IMO you shouldn't keep more than 1 in a tank.
No, I do not think they swim together in nature with no consequences. Territorial fish are territorial in the wild as well as in captivity. In the wild, they fight, damage each other, chase each other out of territories, and things like that. In a tank, the loser cannot flee very far, so more serious damage can happen. IMO/E, not all fish are social, so why try to ask them to be social? Some cats are solitary, some dogs are solitary, some bugs are solitary, some fish are solitary. IMO, is it moral to ask fish to be something other than what's natural instinct and behavior dictate it to be?
Just my opinion.

Thats kind of like betta fish... Yeah sure in the wild they encounter each other, but they are seriously territorial and you'd have to have a ridiculously large aquarium and well planted aquarium to keep males together. In alot of cases, its actually cruel to keep territorial fish together because they will actually get stressed out... Go back to the betta example... Stores sell those betta tanks with the clear dividiers so the bettas always see each other and tend to flare up more.... Not only are those tanks too small, but it really stresses the males out to be so close to one another.

People always use the "but they will be lonely" excuse... Schooling fish, yes. Territorial fish... No.

I guess that's the part that I always wonder about is that we're putting these creatures species wise into solitary confinement.

I guess that's the part that I always wonder about is that we're putting these creatures species wise into solitary confinement.
Well, saying it that way bring up visions of people in prison, but fish are not people and do not have the same needs. People still keep knives with other fish, its just not recommended to do it with other knives. Going back to the betta example, I do not consider it cruel to keep just one betta in a tank. IMO/E, they are fine. They find food, explore their tanks, and sometimes even play with bubbles and plants. They are not schoolers, they are fine alone.
If you have a big enough tank to support 2 knives, then go ahead, but the average aquarium owner does not have the capability of having a 550g (or whatever) tank. Thats why its not recommended to have more then one in a tank, because of how big the tank would have to be.

Back
Top Bottom