Questions about trade school for saltwater or saltwater careers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

csoutherland

Aquarium Advice Activist
Places to get jobs working with saltwater fish and or animals

I didn't know where to post this so I thought I would here. I want to turn my love for saltwater into a career. Whether it's working at sea world or working with saltwater fish all day. Is there any schools specific for these types of things? Please give me your input if you have any idea. Thank you!

Marine Biology is a major offered at most Universities. I unfortunately chose Criminal Justice. Looking back I wish I would have studied something cooler

I'm not quite sure about that, maybe someone else can chime in

Why do you regret studying criminal justice? Sorry to intrude, I am a criminal justice major at Florida State University. And yes, marine biology is a great profession that incorporates your passion for the hobby.

I believe at Sea World you would need at least a degree, with at least a few years of experience in the field to apply. They are rather picky about there employees.

Marine biology comes to mind if you're looking at public aquariums and such.

Most large aquariums require a college education majoring in marine biology. Without a degree, you could work at a local pet store. I would still recommend learning as much as you can and being a strong advocate to customers. Good luck in your search.

Why do you regret studying criminal justice? Sorry to intrude, I am a criminal justice major at Florida State University. And yes, marine biology is a great profession that incorporates your passion for the hobby.

I shouldn't say regret because I'm glad I went to school and all, I just sort of changed career paths late in college and ended up not really needing a CJ degree. I went to the University of Alabama.

Yeah it really isn't needed in some scenario's. Florida State is home to the #1 CJ department so it's interesting.

Yeah it really isn't needed in some scenario's. Florida State is home to the #1 CJ department so it's interesting.

Idk about #1 but def an excellent program, I think John Jay and UPenn have the upper hand but regardless your gonna have a great education from any of them. Back to fish! Not to dissuade you, but your going to need to really research what you can do with a marine biology degree. Unfortunately there isn't any high demand for these positions and like any other professional job today, it's not about what you can do. The master question is, who do you know? Sad, but true. If I were you I might try to contact sea worlds human resources department and get some advice about how to find a career there

I'm 100% sure Florida State has the number 1 CJ program....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom