Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-11-2005, 11:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
krap101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Roscoe, IL
Posts: 6,084
Send a message via AIM to krap101
rat poison?

can rat poison be transfered through a bite? its pretty deep like.. its my middle finger, and i think it almost got to the bone? or it felt like it.
__________________

__________________
~ Danny
krap101 is offline  
Old 09-12-2005, 12:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,467
You got bit by a poisoned rat? How do you know the rat was poisoned? You gotta tell the whole story, sounds interesting. I'd be less worried about poison and more worried about "rat fever".....here's a link that might help you

http://www.ratbehavior.org/WildRatBites.htm
__________________

__________________
http://talloulou.smugmug.com/
talloulou is offline  
Old 09-12-2005, 12:11 AM   #3
God of primitive fishes
 
Toirtis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 8,163
Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
No, it cannot....what you may have is a blood infection or other nasty bacterial infection....go visit you doc right away....infected botes may seem minor at first, but you do not want to end up in the hospital on IV antibiotics.
__________________
G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Founder/Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta
Past-President, Calgary Aquarium Society
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline  
Old 09-12-2005, 12:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
QTOFFER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Kew Gardens, NY
Posts: 4,295
8O Yeah, what's the whole story? 8O
I'm assuming it's a wild rat and not a pet (why else would it be exposed to poison?). I wouldn'y worry about the poison so much as bacterial infections.

You should clean the wound well with soap and an antiseptic like povidone-iodine solution (Betadine). Make sure you get this stuff deep into the wound - puncture wounds can easily become infected.

Then, have the wound checked by your doctor. You'll need a tetanus booster, and they might give you some antibiotics as a precaution. Do this ASAP - better safe than sorry.
__________________
QTOFFER is offline  
Old 09-12-2005, 12:25 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
krap101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Roscoe, IL
Posts: 6,084
Send a message via AIM to krap101
kinda embarassing... but i shut the cage wrong and it left a space on the top of the cage. (by the way i have degu) weve had some rat problems in the past so theres rat poison in certain places in the house. ive heard if a degu is familiar with you it'll come back to you when it wants to go back into the cage. so 3 days go by and i hear it in a corner behind this wooden shaped refrigerator type thing. so i pick it up and put it in the cage. by this time it is acting kind of woozy and lethargic. i try to give it some like spinich or something to try and save it. but my degu dont really like fresh foods.. soo.. since its not eating i try to spend as much time with it as i can. so i put it on my shoulder and he sits there pretty well. when i take him down to put him back in the cage he bites me, and this morning during my lil fall fest parade (i play the trombone) i feel a little dizzy and have a stomach ache. i cant find a reason why unless i got rat poisoning, or im tired and have indigestion.. 2 days after i got bit it died

even if i do have rat poisoning, i dont think you could get much through a bite, and i think theres alot of vitamin k in soy sauce (which i eat alot of) etc etc..

oh yeah both my parents are doctors, and my mom said to wait awhile and see what happens.
__________________
~ Danny
krap101 is offline  
Old 09-12-2005, 12:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Washington
Posts: 2,467
Sorry about your Degu. I agree with the others you should be more concerned about a nasty infection then rat poisoning. Make sure you keep an eye on that wound.
__________________
http://talloulou.smugmug.com/
talloulou is offline  
Old 09-12-2005, 12:36 AM   #7
God of primitive fishes
 
Toirtis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 8,163
Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Most bacterial infections from bites would show obvious symptoms around the wound....what you are describing is one of two things...a truly dangerous reaction/infection from the bite, or something coincidental and completely unrelated.....for your sake (especially as your family has decided to take the 'wait and see' approach), I sincerely hope it is the latter.

Now, chances are it is nothing to be terribly concerned about, as I understand that you were actually bit by a domesticated degu, not a wild rat, yes?
__________________
G. A. Christian Bilou, Herpetologist
Founder/Director, Reptile Rescue Alberta
Past-President, Calgary Aquarium Society
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline  
Old 09-12-2005, 09:02 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 1,728
Send a message via Yahoo to deli_conker
Quote:
and i think theres alot of vitamin k in soy sauce (which i eat alot of) etc etc..
You eat a lot of soy sauce?
__________________
deli_conker is offline  
Old 09-12-2005, 09:47 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
krap101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Roscoe, IL
Posts: 6,084
Send a message via AIM to krap101
ive read that fermented oriental sauces have vitamin k. it is practically the same medicine you get from the doctor, but in a food form instead of a pill or a shot..

before the degu died it had blood in its mouth? so shouldnt i bleed??

and yes its a domesticated degu.

hey wait... does rat poison not let you clot, or clot your blood? because the lil bite thing already like.. its healing..
__________________
~ Danny
krap101 is offline  
Old 09-12-2005, 09:50 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
krap101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Roscoe, IL
Posts: 6,084
Send a message via AIM to krap101
yeah, i read that rat poison thins the blood? so that means that i didnt get the rat poison? or it takes longer to take effect?
__________________

__________________
~ Danny
krap101 is offline  
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Silicone tube poison? gu2high Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 7 03-02-2007 01:00 PM
Is Bologna poison to fish? Fiddlesticks Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 9 07-25-2006 10:38 PM
lionfish poison macman7010 Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral 10 11-28-2004 01:31 AM
naked mole rat! stumpy Saltwater & Reef - Identification 6 12-18-2003 12:22 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.