rat poison?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
can rat poison be transfered through a bite? its pretty deep like.. its my middle finger, and i think it almost got to the bone? or it felt like it.

No, it cannot....what you may have is a blood infection or other nasty bacterial infection....go visit you doc right away....infected botes may seem minor at first, but you do not want to end up in the hospital on IV antibiotics.

8O Yeah, what's the whole story? 8O
I'm assuming it's a wild rat and not a pet (why else would it be exposed to poison?). I wouldn'y worry about the poison so much as bacterial infections.

You should clean the wound well with soap and an antiseptic like povidone-iodine solution (Betadine). Make sure you get this stuff deep into the wound - puncture wounds can easily become infected.

Then, have the wound checked by your doctor. You'll need a tetanus booster, and they might give you some antibiotics as a precaution. Do this ASAP - better safe than sorry.

kinda embarassing... but i shut the cage wrong and it left a space on the top of the cage. (by the way i have degu) weve had some rat problems in the past so theres rat poison in certain places in the house. ive heard if a degu is familiar with you it'll come back to you when it wants to go back into the cage. so 3 days go by and i hear it in a corner behind this wooden shaped refrigerator type thing. so i pick it up and put it in the cage. by this time it is acting kind of woozy and lethargic. i try to give it some like spinich or something to try and save it. but my degu dont really like fresh foods.. soo.. since its not eating i try to spend as much time with it as i can. so i put it on my shoulder and he sits there pretty well. when i take him down to put him back in the cage he bites me, and this morning during my lil fall fest parade (i play the trombone) i feel a little dizzy and have a stomach ache. i cant find a reason why unless i got rat poisoning, or im tired and have indigestion.. 2 days after i got bit it died :cry:

even if i do have rat poisoning, i dont think you could get much through a bite, and i think theres alot of vitamin k in soy sauce (which i eat alot of) etc etc..

oh yeah both my parents are doctors, and my mom said to wait awhile and see what happens.

Sorry about your Degu. I agree with the others you should be more concerned about a nasty infection then rat poisoning. Make sure you keep an eye on that wound.

Most bacterial infections from bites would show obvious symptoms around the wound....what you are describing is one of two things...a truly dangerous reaction/infection from the bite, or something coincidental and completely unrelated.....for your sake (especially as your family has decided to take the 'wait and see' approach), I sincerely hope it is the latter.

Now, chances are it is nothing to be terribly concerned about, as I understand that you were actually bit by a domesticated degu, not a wild rat, yes?

ive read that fermented oriental sauces have vitamin k. it is practically the same medicine you get from the doctor, but in a food form instead of a pill or a shot..

before the degu died it had blood in its mouth? so shouldnt i bleed??

and yes its a domesticated degu.

hey wait... does rat poison not let you clot, or clot your blood? because the lil bite thing already like.. its healing..

yeah, i read that rat poison thins the blood? so that means that i didnt get the rat poison? or it takes longer to take effect?

krap101 said:
yeah, i read that rat poison thins the blood? so that means that i didnt get the rat poison? or it takes longer to take effect?
Dude, rat poison is going to be almost wholey dependent on how much you ingest (key word) versus how much you weigh. Unless the degu was named Vlad, was wearing a cape and sucking your finger for a few minutes after the bite, I wouldn't worry too much about it transfering rat poison to you in this manner. You should be more concerned about what else (germs etc) was in it's mouth at the time of the bite. Have you at least put some neosporin on it?

While soy sauce may contain vitamin K, it also contains hypertension, err, I mean craploads of sodium. Even the low sodium is enough to make my blood pressure rise steadily throught the roof. I would suggest finding an alternate source of vitamin K such as...

Spinach, lettuce, kale, cabbage, cauliflower, wheat bran, organ meats, cereals, some fruits, meats, dairy products, and eggs.

I'm so sorry to hear about your degu. :cry:
Since you were bitten by a pet, you needn't worry too much...I would still clean the wound well and get a tetanus booster.

Now, to try to make something positive come from your horrible experience, I'll say this:

PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE INSECTISIDES OR POISONED RODENT BAIT STATIONS AROUND THE HOUSE IF YOU HAVE CHILDREN, DOGS, CATS, OR SMALL CAGED ANIMALS. IF YOU MUST ADDRESS A PEST PROBLEM, TRY TO USE NON-LETHAL TRAPS, OR AT LEAST MAKE SURE THE ABOVE-MENTIONED CRITTERS ARE KEPT A SAFE DISTANCE FROM THE POISON!

krap101 said:

Warfarin-based rat poison is a strong anto-coagulant, yes....it kills the rats by causing them to bleed internally to death.

krap101 said:
ive read that fermented oriental sauces have vitamin k. it is practically the same medicine you get from the doctor, but in a food form instead of a pill or a shot...

That you get for what? Vitamin K injections are not used that often for anything, unless there is symptom of a deficiency....particularly because an excess of vitamin K is quite toxic and has some nasty effects.

deli_conker said:
While soy sauce may contain vitamin K, it also contains hypertension, err, I mean craploads of sodium. Even the low sodium is enough to make my blood pressure rise steadily throught the roof.

Not to mention that many soy sauces have liberal amounts of MSG in them....something that few people tolerate well at all.

most kinds of rat poison make your blood more "watery" and make it so your blood cant clot. vitamin k is the stuff that gives your platelets or whatever the stuff to clot.

vitamin k is the only known cure for rat poison i think.

i have neosporin, but i used this other thing. my mom use to be a pediatrician and has this other stuff. actually 2 other kinds. err 3. hydro cortisone, cortisone 10 and this other one. i used the other one, because my mom usually uses this stuff for cuts and stuff.

well actually my basement is pretty much my room. doesnt have a lock door or anything lol. the pesticide was either in my kitchen, attic, or my parents room. its a good distance away. so... you walk around 30 feet from the cage to the top of the stairs. from there you need to walk to the kitchen (about 25 more feet) or my parens bedroom (closet) which is around 40-50 feet away. if its the attic you need to walk from the kitchen up the stairs down a hallway and thats around 100 feetish. there isnt any rat poison that the degu could have gotten to. there is some where the water heaters and stuff are, which is around 15 feet from the cage, (the door) and inside there might be a few, but the degu couldnt fit under the door.

the degu got out a few times before, and i couldnt figure out how it got out... until now :cry:

also, i think i had a late snack a few days ago and the indigestion probally took effect then. and when i felt dizzy it was around 95 degrees out, i had to march outside and blow for around 30 mins. so... i knew that this could of been it, just i didnt want to rule out the poison..

krap101 said:
most kinds of rat poison make your blood more "watery" and make it so your blood cant clot.

Not really, there are quite a few different poisons used on rats world-wide, and only a couple affect clotting factors.

vitamin k is the stuff that gives your platelets or whatever the stuff to clot.

vitamin k is the only known cure for rat poison i think.

Vitamin K is part of treatment, but acute poisonings usually require replacement of plasma and clotting factors (incidentally, I will be donating about a half-litre of platlets in just 16 hours).

i have neosporin, but i used this other thing. my mom use to be a pediatrician and has this other stuff. actually 2 other kinds. err 3. hydro cortisone, cortisone 10 and this other one. i used the other one, because my mom usually uses this stuff for cuts and stuff.

Stick with the Neosporin, it is an antibiaotic cream/ointment and will ward off infection...the others are topical steroidal creams and although they can speed hearling, overuse will make the skin permanantly more fragile, plus they have no antibiotic qualities.

also, i think i had a late snack a few days ago and the indigestion probally took effect then. and when i felt dizzy it was around 95 degrees out, i had to march outside and blow for around 30 mins. so... i knew that this could of been it, just i didnt want to rule out the poison..

Could have been....you may also have a touch of flu or some such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom