Stop betta abuse !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My betta is in a 5g tank with a 3g filter so the flow don't over power him and he has some stuff to swim around and he's active just as my tropical fish and if u open his tank hell let u pet him his name is triton

ForumRunner_20130822_051112.jpg

Hey Andy how hard is it to keep water parameters stable in a half gal?

In my case,it's been very easy over the years. For my fish now, I have them indoors under air conditioned temps so the temp stays stable. ( Bettas can thrive in a varied temp range as long as it's stable.) New water for w/c is kept in a 1 gal container that has had salt added and 2 drops of prime just for the slime action ( I'm on well water so the prime is not for chlorine or chemical removal.) and it sits in the same area the fish are in so the temp of that water is the same as the bowls. Considering that I change water every Wed and Sun., the ammonia level doesn't have a chance to rise high enough to even show on the test kit ( I've run that test with the same results for decades so this was not a once in a lifetime result) so then there is no nitrite or nitrate to be concerned about. I do a 100% water change and my fish show no ill effects as they are basically being put back into the water they came out of.

I will say this however, if your bowl is showing ammonia readings in 2-3 days, it means you are overfeeding your fish which will happen whether they are in a bowl or a tank. My fish are fed 2-3 times per day and are happy and healthy enough that they go from bowl to breeding tank with no extra conditioning required for spawning. So as I say, the bowl is not the problem (y)

Also, if you have chlorine or chloramine in your tap water, it is advisable to set up your water for water changes a day or 2 before you need it so that your chlorine removers have had ample time to work. In the old days, we just put tap water in a can or bucket and used a bubbler and within 48 hours, there was no more chlorine. Now, with chloramines and other things being added to tap water, the longer it sits, the better for the fish.

Hope I've answered your question (y)

I have to say I was in a big box store recently and I heard the employees in the fish dept talking. They had orders to do a major reset and the one employee was saying how if they move the goldies they will die in 82 degree water. At least she knew that goldfish don't have the same temp requirements as tropical fish!

I have to say I was in a big box store recently and I heard the employees in the fish dept talking. They had orders to do a major reset and the one employee was saying how if they move the goldies they will die in 82 degree water. At least she knew that goldfish don't have the same temp requirements as tropical fish!

Thank god lol most ppl don't understand the care needs its sad

When I went to the store to get my first betta they had the little 1/2 gallon tanks right under the bettas. So I bought one not realizing it.( it was my first tank). Bu I ended up going back and buying him a ten gallon which for the tank was the same price as the little bowl. Then I bought him a heater, filter, rocks, and plants. He has been happy for about 3 months now. ( I feel like a hero by saving bettas from the little cups) :)

Currently petsmart is having a sale on their 5.5 gallons for pet perk card holders. It's a 40$ tank for $20 bucks! I picked one up for one of my babies

When I sold Bettas I recommended 2.5g tanks minimum in part because for newbies it's easier to keep it clean and stable. I've kept Bettas in 2g bowls. I don't like tiny containers as I want the water to stay clean. My last 2 Bettas ? One went from a 1.5g bowl to a 10g filtered tank and one went from a 1.5g bowl to a 5.5g tank. All had live plants and gentle filtration on the tanks.

In the winter I'd move my Bettas into my room and used an oil filled radiator to heat my birds and fish. My Bettas quit eating at about 67f ? If they stopped eating I warmed them up.

My oldest Betta lived to 6yrs or more. Most of mine have averaged 5 yrs. and yes I do use Indian Almond Leaves in my Shrimp and Betta tanks.

For newbies, tanks are just easier IMHO. If they miss a water change, the fish has a better chance at living.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396293272.087003.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1396293302.817765.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My betta lives in a 5gal. I took the filter out (the flow was too strong) and added a heater. I planned to put another filter in, but ended up getting some live plants instead to keep his water oxygenated. He's about 5 now....getting to be an old man!

Mine goes on "patrol" all day, swimming around and exploring his tank. When he hears someone coming, he rushes up and flares, dancing, begging for food.

It's so sad that they are misunderstood and abused; in the right conditions, they have such great personalities. I work at a fish store, and people often complain that bettas are boring when i suggest one for the 5 gal they bought. I tell them that if they were forced to live in a closet-sized room with just a toilet and food, they probably would not be very interesting to watch either :)

The Walmart here keeps the betta's nice. They clean their water every day and put them in the tanks with other fish that won't harm them or be harmed so most aren't in little cups

Legislation is the way to go for fish health. First, legislate that every fish store provide free of charge a pamphlet of basic aquarium principles. Second, every fish bought must be accompanied with a species specific care sheet prior to purchase and signed buyer copy retained by the store. Third, prior to any fish purchase, the buyer should pass a basic aquarium exam. Fourth, legislate fish anti-cruelty statutes.

The place to start is in writing our legislators. I am not for the "nanny state" telling me I can only have a soda in a small cup, but I am against current unethical LFS practices and misinformation. And, I think goldfish suffer worse than bettas on that.

I bet everyone in this forum would be thrilled to get a personalized care sheet for each of their fish and quite happy to take a basic aquatic test.

Just for fish to be used as pets, cause more rules and regulations for me raising catfish and talapia for restaurants would kill us, and basically every other fish farmer lol

The Walmart here takes awful care of their bettas. 3 of my 5 boys were saved from gross conditions and ammonia levels that were sky high on their nasty little cups. I know the store will just replace them, but to those 3 boys, my taking them quite literally was the difference between life and death. I'm sure they are happy I did.

All of my boys enjoy heated/filtered tanks with regular water changes and a good diet of NLS and a variety of frozen supplements. A lot of people think they are 'spoiled'...no, it's not that. They are getting the care they deserve, because they are not the throw aways pet stores make then out to be.

All of my boys enjoy heated/filtered tanks with regular water changes and a good diet of NLS and a variety of frozen supplements. A lot of people think they are 'spoiled'...no, it's not that. They are getting the care they deserve, because they are not the throw aways pet stores make then out to be.

I hate that ANY pet is treated as "throw-away". I work at a pet store, and I should be used to it by now, but it still floors me every time someone comes in, and as I'm trying to tell them that an animal will not survive in the conditions they've described, they shrug their shoulders and say "It's just a fish/hamster/etc.!"

It's very hard to keep your spirit up, when you see people every day who want to take a life home and keep it under terrible conditions, just for their amusement, or to shut their kid up. No wonder so many pet store employees just "check out" mentally. So far, I refuse...I'm very glad to see you and others on this forum treating one of the most abused pets like they're supposed to be. Thank you all! :flowers:

i agree with you...i wish i could rescue every betta in the pet stores! when i had my 125 tank a male & 4 females were super happy & healthy...now, because of limited space i can only keep a 5 gal but my Betta is doing very well-great fish with wonderful personalities...and the females can be a hoot!

Just a thought. Every fish you "save" from bad conditions puts money in that store's pocket AND encourages them to just get more.

If more people asked for a manager and explained they would not be shopping at their store due to this abuse, AND wrote Corporate AND shamed the stores on social media...if enough people did that and voted with their money. THEN things might change.

I do understand. I've "rescued" from stores myself. But in my case, I told them the fish should be free. I was not going to pay for something about to die. But I would take it off their hands.

We had to do this with Puppies. Thus the Don't Buy Puppies in the Window campaigns. Stores stopped selling and it's now unusual to see a store selling puppies in my state. Most are quickly reported for any infraction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except it's a whole different scenario lol. And even if it stopped in a few states in America it's way way worse and in bigger demand in the Asian countries where they get the betta's, or at least use to get the betta's

Just a thought. Every fish you "save" from bad conditions puts money in that store's pocket AND encourages them to just get more.

If more people asked for a manager and explained they would not be shopping at their store due to this abuse, AND wrote Corporate AND shamed the stores on social media...if enough people did that and voted with their money. THEN things might change.

I do understand. I've "rescued" from stores myself. But in my case, I told them the fish should be free. I was not going to pay for something about to die. But I would take it off their hands.

Very, very good points! It's not as bad as it could be in our store, because we clean the betta cups so often, but still. The thing that drives me crazy is the display of "betta tanks" - 1 gal or less. NEVER more than three gallons. Gah! I encourage all the customers who comment on it to write to corporate.

I had a lady come in once very upset about the African dwarf frogs...she didn't want to believe me that they were fully aquatic. I wrote her their (and my) name down on a sticky note and encouraged her to research them and report me if I told her false. She apologized for being "crazy" but I told her "NO, do NOT apologize for caring" I wanted to hug her...I love people that care. People need to make more noise!

And on the topic of adoptions - at least the chain I work for WILL adopt out fish for free. Again...make a little noise! They don't WANT to give you the fish for free, and you may have to wait for a manager to approve it, but if you make a valid case, you can save a sad fish without rewarding the company with money.

Back
Top Bottom