Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I enjoy the show but I really don't like how they stock their tanks. Saltwater should be done slowly which is exactly what they don't do. Also, the tank that bugged me more than anything was their skateboard ramp tank. Completely unnecessary stress on the fish.

That being said, their tanks really are pieces of art and look amazing.. for the most part.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I enjoy the show but I really don't like how they stock their tanks. Saltwater should be done slowly which is exactly what they don't do. Also, the tank that bugged me more than anything was their skateboard ramp tank. Completely unnecessary stress on the fish.

That being said, their tanks really are pieces of art and look amazing.. for the most part.
That one made me cringe, too. Who cares that it won't break, the fish are going to be terrified. I get mad when people tap the glass at the LFS... Also, they didn't seem all that confident that it wouldn't breaking the first place. For all they say about respecting the ocean and not taking corals to keep reefs sustainable, they don't seem to respect the lives of the fish they are dumping into these tanks. They seem to be perpetuating the idea of aquariums as decoration vs fish as pets.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:58 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I envy some of the tanks these guys build that arch way into that church was heavenly haha. And the 4 story tank in the middle of that persons house with a rap around stair case OMG!!!

I wish i had the capability to build my own tanks that would be amazing!

I didn't exactly like every tank they have built though some i thought were a bit unpractical. The tank bus i thought would be cool to just have sitting in a store as a show peice but i didn't think it was a good idea that they planned to drive the thing around i don't take my fish "shaken or stirred."

And the tank with the skate board ramp on it i know they said it would never break but seriously did they have to build that? I bet the fishies don't like it it would be so loud to them.

I would like to see them build more freshwater tanks and maybe some ponds!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just remembered the refrigerator tank i didn't like that one much either i thought it lacked alot of viewing space and i hated that they didn't put any sand or gravel in it or anywhere for the fish to hide and they were cichlids too!

But i give them credit for making that idea work but i still feel like sometimes they could think less about how it is going to look and more about how the fish are going to like it.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:09 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I didn't like the skateboard ramp tank either... They do make nice tanks, but you're right... They probably could care less about the fish themselves.... Other than they are expensive and look nice...
Old 04-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you guys watch fish tank kings?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylb View Post
Do you guys watch fish tank kings?
Never heard of it :s
Old 04-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good show, wish they did more fresh water tanks. And even then I wish they used New world cichlids as to old world which is the only fw fish I seem them used.

This and river monsters are on my "fish nerd" dvr.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #19
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

This has been discussed on a few different threads before. I am just going to add that the guys from Tanked have zero say in how the show is edited. So, a lot of the edited and presentation is done by people who do not know about fish tanks. The guys in charge of the company have said that waaayyyy more goes on that the viewer is unaware of. Also, the tanks are not always left with the stock that is shown in them. Some of that is just for production. So, I have enjoyed the show just fine, but keep in mind that the producers are making entertainment, not a fish tank documentary. So, don't blame the ATM guys too much for it. They actually seem to run to very good business judging from what I have researched independently from that show.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Although I guess looking at it from a business standpoint, it's really up to the customer to provide a good environment for the fish.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com