The fish tank at school...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ollief9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
...is gross. It is 20 gallons and has two koi and a red shiner in it. Everything is coated in brown algae and the tank is never cleaned. It's vile and cruel.

I've approached science teachers about it but they don't care. I don't know what to do..

The Principal .... if nothing is done .. and I'm assuming you're a student ... then go to your parents for help. If enough parents make noise about it, a change will happen.

Two Koi's in a 20? .... really?

How about starting a kind of awareness campaign with a few of your friends? Maybe you guys can print out some flyers and distribute them around your school and hang a few in the hallways? Maybe another teacher who deals with biology or Earth Science ( ;) ) would even help you guys out?

I can't imagine any school would want negative publicity when it comes to a topic like animal cruelty, so I'd have to assume it'd be a pretty easy goal to accomplish.

I know when I was in school we had drives to plant trees and stuff like that...maybe you can organize an event to return the fish to a suitable environment like a local pond (any laws associated with that?)

After that maybe you and a group of other students can be in charge of the aquarium and set it up to make your school proud :)

I would offer my suggestions and move on. No sense in getting people mad, possibly getting in trouble at school. Chances are, the damage is already done to the koi if it's in a 20g tank. I'd just forget about it.

I have a similar thread.. But I am in the pupil council, eco group and the voices of change group (high up group only 2 from each year group).. I am bringing it up at my voices of change meeting! :D

I agree with rook, something like that won't really be a big concern to people with just one fish tank. If you do decide to take action, don't do anything that'll disrupt the normal school day. As long as you do that, you legally can't get in trouble.

mfdrookie516 said:
I would offer my suggestions and move on. No sense in getting people mad, possibly getting in trouble at school. Chances are, the damage is already done to the koi if it's in a 20g tank. I'd just forget about it.

I respectfully disagree. I don't see any harm in putting something together to address the subject, although in the grand scheme of things its a drop in the ocean. Like I said, if schools can plan events and drives to plant trees in the neighborhood, canned food drives, sending packages to children oversees, etc... what's the harm in doing something that close to home?...especially on a topic you're interested in (hence why you're an AA member).

Obviously if the administrators asked you to stop...then it's time to stop. But if you actually got in trouble without warning...that's a different story in itself. Things like that around here find their way into the paper pretty quickly (kinda a boring town).

My advice...stand up for what you believe in.

If you like taking care of tanks, why don't you see if they will let you take care of it?

Most of my best friends are fishkeepers anyway and already know what a torture chamber the tank is. I'm not in any eco-groups or anything, I don't plan to join any. I think i will follow the OP and stop even trying. The tank's been there since the start of school and teachers have said it's been there years before, with the same fish. The damage has probably already been done to the koi's internal organs and that poor red shiner :(

Back
Top Bottom