The Slightly Morbid Side to Fish Keeping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottyhorse

Aquarium Advice Addict
About a week or two ago, me and () were messageing on here about plants. We were talking about plants we wanted to get and what our favorite plants were.

I said "I just love baby tears, they are my favorite!" Then I realized, man, to somebody who is not into fish keeping, that would have sounded really wrong and morbid to them, :lol:

Has anyone else have something like that slip out of your mouth?

It doesn't have to be morbid, just something that you weren't trying to say, too.

I'd love to read them!

About a week or two ago, me and () were messageing on here about plants. We were talking about plants we wanted to get and what our favorite plants were.

I said "I just love baby tears, they are my favorite!" Then I realized, man, to somebody who is not into fish keeping, that would have sounded really wrong and morbid to them, :lol:

Has anyone else have something like that slip out of your mouth?

It doesn't have to be morbid, just something that you weren't trying to say, too.

I'd love to read them!

Not about fish, but I'm coaching my 6yo sons soccer team. In the fall I laughed at myself because I yelled out to them "Stop playing with your balls!" They were in a bad habit of picking up their soccer balls and also kicking them when I was trying to explain the next activity.

Haha, boys will be boys.

I typed a phrase that actually grossed me out when I re-read it,"I just defrosted my first cube of bloodworms!"

(As if that's a normal thing to get so excited about)

Well..... not morbid..... but rather embarassing... I told a nice gentleman that "I really like your wood"... (in reference to a beautiful piece for his tank he had ordered and just got in) never more embarassed in my life :(

"I just ordered Some shrimp in and can't wait for them to get here!" All my coworkers turned to me and looked at me like I grew a second head. I also told them I plan on breeding my CPD, and they look at me like I'm crazy. They just don't understand. That's why I am here among other Aquarium Addict. :lol:

My parents always look at me like i am crazy when I start talking about fish. You can tell they pretend to be excited and like they know what I am talking about, but they don't. :lol;

My parents always look at me like i am crazy when I start talking about fish. You can tell they pretend to be excited and like they know what I am talking about, but they don't. :lol;

Heheehe totally! I start getting teased by my bf when I say the words "beneficial bacteria", he said that's when I knew I lost you to fish...

Well..... not morbid..... but rather embarassing... I told a nice gentleman that "I really like your wood"... (in reference to a beautiful piece for his tank he had ordered and just got in) never more embarassed in my life :(

When I was starting to make wood jewelry, I walked into an exotic lumber store and told a room full of guys I was just looking for some wood to play with...

When I was starting to make wood jewelry, I walked into an exotic lumber store and told a room full of guys I was just looking for some wood to play with...

Lol. Hahaha

I used to work in an exotic lumber and woodworking store.

I can just hear the silence

And then…

Best!

I blushed like crazy, thankfully they let it slide. I felt like an idiot, but it's still one of my best one-liner stories.

Glad I'm not the only one! And the other night, when a friend was over, he's like " when are ya gonna get fish?" And I start explaining that t could be a few days or weeks, depending on the cycle and all this bb stuff, lol he was so lost!!!! And my mom just sat beside me at the lfs when I had a 30min Convo about cycling and stocking with the nice worker! After she goes " you should work there!" Haha but its just so hard explaining why I have an empty tank sitting around!!

Also, my science teacher has a 20 gal high tank, with about a third of an inch of pink and green gravel, and no decor. And about 15 4 inch goldfish, and a few that are over 6". I do water changes for her every week during class and the way she did it before was to net all the fish out and set em in 2 differet ice cream pales with normal tap waters then dump the tank, fill it up. Squirt some tetra dechloranate e in and dump the fish in! Now I start doing the normal way and The tank looks alot better! Still feel bad for em

When I set up my reef tank and put my CUC in I went to work and was talking to a few coworkers about it. Wouldn't you know I actually said, "I finally picked up some crabs today" I still get messed with at work 6 months after that comment. Lol! Oops, open mouth insert foot!

Was telling the hub I was excited about how my eel (bichir...it is an eel in our house lol) was getting so much longer and thicker since moving him into the 150 last fall... o_O

Have you fed them brine shrimp, or blood worms before this time? I regret feeding bloodworms to my chiclids because they out grew all the other fish in the tank and started eating them. Their eyes turned bright orange when they fed, and they developed a very aggressive demeanor in a very short time. Im sticking to flake food this time around, Im also done with chiclids and other aggressive, or predatory breeds.

Today I walked around work with PMS written on my hand to remind myself to check on the status of the PM's...
Looked down a while later, and just shook my head at my own genius.

Today I walked around work with PMS written on my hand to remind myself to check on the status of the PM's...
Looked down a while later, and just shook my head at my own genius.

So I see I am not the only one who writes on their hand. :p

Back
Top Bottom