Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2005, 01:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

tom cruise

I know the media has been giving Tom Cruise a hard time regarding his relationship with Katie Holmes and I don't really know much or care much about that.

However all day yesterday and today the media has been giving him a hard time about his interview with Matt Lauer. Which I saw and thought was fascinating and it gave me a new found respect for Tom Cruise.

They were discussing psychiatry and psychiatric drugs which Tom is against due to his Scientolgoy beliefs. Now, I don't know much about Scientology, other than the fact that Battlefield Earth wasn't great and the Dianetics book was too boring for me to get through..

But I gotta say alot of what Tom had to say made sense. There are too many little kids on Ritalin. There are too many adults on antidepressants. Psychiatrists are too quick to prescribe medication over slowing down, healthier diets, and exercise.

So why is the media acting like Tom is crazy. He was very passionate about the topic and it did come off a little intense but in my opinion it's about time someone spoke out against over medicating our youth with all this crap just because zombies are easier to take care of in school than active little boys.

A psychiatrist on MSNBC actually said something to the effect, "if you want to go on a holistic kick that may work fine for you but not for everyone"

......the thing that got me about that sentence was the "kick" part. Like eating right and exercising is some new fad, a "kick."

Anyway I was curious if anyone else has been thinking about this. It really got my attention because my son is in private school but he will be going to public school next year and I have heard so many horror stories from parents who were told by teachers that their kids need drugs.

It also scares me cause you have to wonder how all these kids raised on Ritalin are going to be as adults. From what I have read it is a very powerful drug. Also most of the adults I know who take prozac or xanax don't seem very happy or helped. It just seems very wrong to me that Tom Cruise would be persecuted for speaking out against drugs.

And as far as the Brook Sheilds stuff, well she wrote a book about her post partum depression and how she needed drugs.....So I feel like she opened herself up to comments like the ones Cruise made. If she can suggest new mothers with post partum depression should take drugs why shouldn't Tom Cruise be able to suggest they shouldn't?

Old 06-28-2005, 02:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree that there are way too many kids on drugs that they don't need. I think that parental guidance and attention would probably solve a lot of "problems". But also each situation is different, and I really don't know what these parents are going through.
I don't give a you know what about Brook Sheilds or Tom Cruise or their problems. Why do people take "stars" so seriously? We are talking about people who play pretend for a living.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Great post!

I see nothing wrong with what Tom Cruise is saying and in my opinion he is mostly right. I cannot take a hard line like he does and say drugs are "never" an option but American's, like the doctors are using drugs as a crutch. Unfortunately so are parents, in particular parents that are having kids as kids themselves and are emotionally not mature enough to raise children.

Last year we were called into school regarding my then 8 year old and his potential ADD! They suggested a course of action that would have led straight to the doctor and no doubt a recommendation for some kind of drugs. BS. I told them to deal with it and do their jobs. Sure we were concerned and we made some responsible changes at home to get him on track. This year, major improvements in grades and behavior at school. A year made all of the difference in his "natural" growth both physically and emotionally.

This year my daughter was fighting depression and thoughts of self mutulation. In her case and after much research we decided to allow the use of Prozac. Almost immediately it kick started a change that has resulted in a total change of attitude. But only a kick start was allowed. We do not subscribe to long term use of psychotic drugs and you are right, we are becoming a nation of addicted zombies. In many cases the side effects are worse than the original diagnosis.

So in the last year I have been challenged twice and used two different solutions. No regrets.

My advice to parents everywhere is simple:

Stay involved in your children's school and activities.
Don't attempt to make an overachiever out of a child that isn't.
Research, research, research. (Many would spend more time researching this website about our hobby than they might regarding their children)

Oh yeah. Lots of hugs!!
4 Julii Corys
Old 06-28-2005, 02:09 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

They are giving him grief about it because he is an idolized superstar, and maybe he does not realize it but people will make decisions based on things he says, sad as that sounds. People will yank their kids off Ritalin because Tom said so, without consulting their doctor, and without properly weaning the kid, etc., so it is somewhat irresponsible for a mega star to give medical advice, especially as vehemently as he did. Brooke Shields did the same thing but from what I understand it was more anecdotal, relating her personal experience with post-partum depression.

I imagine that if I had a kid with ADD/ADHD I would be the type of parent who would tend to resist using drugs to control behavior, but I don't have kids who have ADD/ADHD so I can't comment on that, and I recognize the incredible social challenges of these difficult kids.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't know. I feel there are two many kids on drugs too, but I also have a friend who's son is ADD.

I have seen him before the meds and after the meds, and my goodness, what a big difference. I'm certainly not saying it works for everyonem but unless you experience it first hand, it's hard to tell. I do believe you should exhaust every possibilty first before resorting to meds.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FawnN
I don't know. I feel there are two many kids on drugs too, but I also have a friend who's son is ADD.

I have seen him before the meds and after the meds, and my goodness, what a big difference. I'm certainly not saying it works for everyonem but unless you experience it first hand, it's hard to tell. I do believe you should exhaust every possibilty first before resorting to meds.
That's right. Each instance should be viewed as unique and separate. The problem is that kids have been grouped into classes and little boys are in many cases victimized. A rambuctuous little boy would appear more healthy than a shy quiet little boy that never disrupts or has an outburst. Unfortunately the shoe has been put on the wrong foot.

I suggest that there are definitely ADD kids that medications can help. In the minds of my sons teachers and administrators he was disruptive and a little hyper. Must be ADD!! Oh yeah and I forgot to mention in my other post the way they "incent" you to get your child diagnosed. "One of the good things about having an ADD child is that he will be allowed to take the test several times and improve his chances of getting a better grade." That really made me hit the ceiling!!

Now I am getting mad again. Is there a pill for that?? LOL
4 Julii Corys
Old 06-28-2005, 03:43 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am currently raising my 14 year old brother who was diagnosed ADHD when he was 5! My mother always swore to the medicine ... everything from prozac down to nothing short of straight amphetamines (speed).

When my mother passed away 3 years ago in august, I gained control of my brother and have since then taken him off the medicine ... there is definitely no doubt he is ADHD, but I don't see how later in life after 20 years of drugs how he is going to be better. In fact I see him being chemically dependent on this medication and not being able to function normally without it! I know I may be in the wrong for this but the way I look at it now is I am the only one who has the ability to make a change in his life.

After our mother passed away he went into a deep state of depression, mix that with a horrible case of ADHD and you have the classic cocktail for suicidal tendencies. I have taken him to all types of counseling and stay very involved in what he is doing ... sometimes to an extreme extent!!!! I also show him ways to deal with his problems i.e. Personal organizers, calenders, date books, study groups for homework, sticky notes on everything for reminders, journals, scrapbooking photos of mom and family to help him through the tough times and have even recently gotten him into fish keeping for his responsibility issues!

ADHD is in fact a very hard thing to deal with, even more so when you mix it with depression ... but what I have learned to accept is that there is always always other ways than to jump straight to medication!

America has not recently become chemically dependent it has always been that way, just not as widespread. There has always been someone somewhere that feels their life wouldn't be normal without that little pill everyday! It truly is sad to see the future of America going down the tubes. JUST REMEMBER PARENTS ... we are the only ones who can make a difference. there are online support forums for families who deal with ADD/ADHD and as well as depression.

As for the whole Tom Cruise thing .....

Well I think he is pretty much a buffoon for even saying some of the things he did! I mean come on, the truth stands in what works for some may not work for others.

The whole scientology religion is pretty much a scam, and some of the things they believe in are more along the lines of David Koresh type mentality.
www.xenu.com is a good informational website for those who may want to read more about L. Ron Hubbard and Dianetics. Beware that it is a site that slams the religion so many of the comments may sound one-sided if you may, but if you research the net you will come up with a lot of it being truth!!!!

R.I.P Walena K. Cox
7/7/62 - 8/11/2002
Old 06-28-2005, 04:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Rach101
When I was six or seven the school told my mother that I had ADD, and told her that they suggest I be medicated accordingly.
I Did not have ADD, I was merely a happy, chatter box, like most seven year olds. I think that for behavior problems, children shouldnt be medicated until they are atleast in their late teens unless it is so severe that it ofcourse would lead to self harm, or the harm of others. Honestly, I think that we have begun to medicate children just because they are different individuals from the other children. And at such a young age, i do not think we have any right to do such, because it could be altering the very way the child develops....
^^;;
Old 06-28-2005, 04:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think we are over prescribing meds for ADD for sure.

Cruise has been acting like a complete lunatic over the past few months so right now he has a huge bullseye on his back. The press is just waiting to pounce on him & make him look stupid. He should try and hang low or something.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:24 PM   #10
cJw
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tom Cruise = spoiled brat of a celeb.

Suing over a squirt gun attack? Grow up and deflate your oversized head.

6 gold barbs
3 peppered cory cats
1 'maldito' cory cats=
1 yoyo loach
1 clown pleco
6 ghost shrimp

There are no coincidences.
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com