Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-17-2014, 05:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Vet removes brain tumor from goldfish: Article

Have you guys seen this yet? I think it's pretty interesting!
Australian Vet Removed a Brain Tumor From a Goldfish Named George

Old 09-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Very cool! And surprisingly not too complicated it seems.

Fishperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

That is an amazing story, I found some of the comments horrible. One was talking about how goldfish only live one or two years meanwhile the article stated that George was ten!! And then another was saying that they don't have feelings and who cares it's just a fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Old 09-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree, Kittykat. Unfortunately, most places where I've seen this article, the comments have been like that
Old 09-18-2014, 01:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to sinibotia
"But it's just a fish", people comment.... and to them, I say, you're just a person, and if I had to choose one or the other I would, in good conscience, choose the fish. Say what you will, but it's terrible to think that one animal is more important than another.... sorry, but I'd choose a fish I cared about over a stranger I didn't. Not to mention that the fish isn't contributing to large-scale environmental destruction- no burning fossil fuels, no using up forests to build its home or get its food....
Old 09-18-2014, 02:00 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sinibotia those thoughts crossed my mind too.

Also, what about the increase in knowledge?

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 09-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wonderful news! I am so happy the vet was able to save this goldfish

Shame on those nasty comments... I read some of them. Come on really. Goldfish can live 20 yrs or more with proper care. I hate how people say "it's just a fish". No no no! If you think that, you ought not to ever have fish!
Old 09-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon14 View Post
Wonderful news! I am so happy the vet was able to save this goldfish

Shame on those nasty comments... I read some of them. Come on really. Goldfish can live 20 yrs or more with proper care. I hate how people say "it's just a fish". No no no! If you think that, you ought not to ever have fish!

I feel the same way. I told my mom about this she said it's horrible how humans think they're so great, better than all other living things. A lot of people think 'well it's not a human it doesn't have feelings/it's life doesn't matter.' That disgusts me so much.

Old 09-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittykat364 View Post
I feel the same way. I told my mom about this she said it's horrible how humans think they're so great, better than all other living things. A lot of people think 'well it's not a human it doesn't have feelings/it's life doesn't matter.' That disgusts me so much.

I'm glad you agree! This is not the first fish surgery I have heard of either.

That mentality disgusts me too. If we can't have kindness, compassion, and love for creatures other than humans, what kind of a person does that make us?

I never thought less of fish, but, until I had one, I didn't know how much I could like one or interact with one. I didn't think they had much personality, but boy was I wrong about that! He gets all excited when he sees us, he is a very curious smart little guy. He follows our fingers... very sweet I just love fish now!
Old 09-20-2014, 08:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon14 View Post
I'm glad you agree! This is not the first fish surgery I have heard of either.

That mentality disgusts me too. If we can't have kindness, compassion, and love for creatures other than humans, what kind of a person does that make us?

I never thought less of fish, but, until I had one, I didn't know how much I could like one or interact with one. I didn't think they had much personality, but boy was I wrong about that! He gets all excited when he sees us, he is a very curious smart little guy. He follows our fingers... very sweet I just love fish now!

I had the same experience. My betta is so social, he comes right up to you when you are by the tank! He's smarter than some dogs, I think, because he knows when you stop paying attention to him so he goes back to hiding. Then if you show interest in him he peeks out of his cave, and looks to make sure that you really want to see him. If he's sure, he will come out.

I think he might have a tumor in his abdomen, I really hope not! It would be great if I could get it removed but a) I can't afford it and b) I think he's getting into the older range for bettas so I'm not sure if it would be worth the risk. The dedication of the owners that do this for their fish is just amazing, I applaud them.

Tags
fish, gold, goldfish, move, tumor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com