Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #61
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_chem View Post
Whenever I "pass" on a thread, it's because it's a question that should be googled rather than asked. These are simple questions, like "Is my pH too high?" or such, answers that have been answered many times in many places. The AA collective should not be a replacement for personal research with google, but rather a supplement to it.

I agree with you 100%.

Back in the day I would spend hours in the library reading anything I could about aquarium keeping and the types of fish that were available. That was the only way my dad would allow me to have a tank, much less buy anything for it.

I would never have gotten away with any excuses for not taking care of a pet, be it 4 legged or finned.

Now a days it's so much easier than riding a bike 2 miles to look something up. Obviously folks have the inter-net, they're posting questions. So why not be proactive and research BEFORE you buy. Then, after you've bought, if you have questions, google. Once you've narrowed down a few things, ask. It's really not that difficult.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure about the English and proper grammar comment, but with all the publicity the app has gotten and people so used to short-hand texting, I'm sure there's a reason behind why people do that.
As for people asking questions, well that's what the forum is all about no? IMO it's for all questions, no matter how simply-worded or vague, so that people can get advice on their aquariums.

JMO.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:23 PM   #63
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsbro1997 View Post
I'm not sure about the English and proper grammar comment, but with all the publicity the app has gotten and people so used to short-hand texting, I'm sure there's a reason behind why people do that.
As for people asking questions, well that's what the forum is all about no? IMO it's for all questions, no matter how simply-worded or vague, so that people can get advice on their aquariums.

JMO.
So... you're saying that asking "Why are my fish dying" without posting anything else is an acceptable question? No... because it wastes time and requires people to start probing. We have stickies in threads like the sick fish forum that have specific questions to answer before posting... They're even titled 'Read this before posting'.. yet nobody does. Once you ask/answer the same thing over and over again, it gets old. Why ask a question, taking all that time, when a simple search on the forum will yeild the same result?

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:27 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

True. Never thought about that. Guess I'm so used to seeing the same generic questions every day I assume they're all from the same person. I guess I've gotten used to the endless buffet of questions.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFish71 View Post
The only other thing I can add to this is: have you loved your mods today?
For all the moderators everywhere... because it is largely a thankless job:
Dale_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:49 PM   #66
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale_I View Post
For all the moderators everywhere... because it is largely a thankless job:

Haha, thanks. We can be bribed with chocolate, newer, larger tank set-ups or really awesome fish.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:17 AM   #67
Aquarium Advice Freak

Dale_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 12:44 AM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
So... you're saying that asking "Why are my fish dying" without posting anything else is an acceptable question?
God, that's almost as bad as the "I have algae help" posts with no pics, parameters, or even decent descriptions.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:46 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Addict

The chocolate I can do, I just made brownies, but you have to come over to my house
Old 10-08-2011, 12:52 AM   #70
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua_chem View Post
Whenever I "pass" on a thread, it's because it's a question that should be googled rather than asked. These are simple questions, like "Is my pH too high?" or such, answers that have been answered many times in many places. The AA collective should not be a replacement for personal research with google, but rather a supplement to it.
I will take issue with this statement, While I agree that research is good, the problem is that there is so much bad info on the internet, that it can lead to confusion. I don't think "Is my pH too high ?" is a dumb question. Researching it is liable to confuse a person more as there are many myths about pH, many opinions presented as facts, and many "articles" that are non factual and merely regurgitation of something from years ago, that wasn't true then or now. Everyday I see nonsense about pH requirements for certain species of fish. Research would lead you to believe you need soft water with an acidy pH to keep angels or very hard very alkaline water to keep rift lake cichlids. Neither is true, but those are the answers you will get if you research. Those are often the answers you get if you ask on a forum.
I digress, but the point I wish to make is that coming to this forum is research, and can avoid a lot of wasted time trying to find an answer. Here you will probably get an answer, even if it is wrong, which is another issue.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com