warning- rant- read at your own risk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a member on several forums and these moderators are very tame. If this is defined as overbearing, I don't know how a strict forum could be defined...

I agree, but I don't really define it as bumping if someone just posts on their thread another question, or clarification, or if anyone else can help. It serves the same purpose, keeps some content flowing, and is more enjoyable to read than a post that says 'bump'.

This is exactly what the no bumping rule refers to. Thanks for clarifying that. Could not have said it better.

I agree with all this. But it's funny how people reason with how they spend their money. Just today I was taking to some boatie, and notice that his liftjacket wasn't much of one. I told he should get a new one, but he replied saying it was too expensive. At that moment I notic he had a fish finder. I said to him, "nice fish finder." he replied with "thanks, cost 4,000 dollars."

And I'm all for grammar and spelling although I'm really bad at it, but make an effort. Everytime I see something like this "Omg, dat plox st8 h8" I think, well there goes the next Prime Minister

It is interesting to see how people justify their spending. When a patient comes into the ER and tells me they cant afford their medicine, yet they have expensive shoes, designer purses , oh and their nails are done, how much does a manicure cost these days? I know I try not to be judgemental, they could be wearing knockoffs and costume jewelery, or they might have done their own nails, so I offer them the list of $4 meds at Walmart or target.

What's even worse is when people say they can't even afford the $4 prescriptions yet they have a pack of cigarettes in their pocket. How much do cigarettes cost. Priorities?

Woops , that rant was a little off topic :)

Serioously though, if you had pets and you lost your job or had an illness, then I completely understand that you have to do what you can to get by and provide the best you can for your animals. That's when you can do things like getting free water tests at the fish store and making sure not to buy any new fish or animals until your finances improve. Trust me I know have been there. The economy has been tough on everyone.

DragonFish mentioned how he went to the library as a kid and read all he could. I don't want to suggest that every book published is a credible source, but there was a little bit of a safety net in the publishing process. I don't think too many people published books that are just parroted bad information. I agree that you NEED to do research. But google doesn't fix everything.

Dragonfish is a highly snarktastic female :) I just have the picture of hubby and I because, well, I love the guy. He supports all my aquarium choices (*sigh* except for the 400g I could get for $200.00)

And no, google doesn't fix everything. I just completed about 3 weeks worth of research for some North American native fish I ordered. I found tons of info on 5 out of 6 species, on the 6th I found very conflicting info.

Soooo, I turned to my LFS first of all. They carry the fish in question (I didn't buy from them because of their pricing) I got a very informative answer on the compatibly of this fish. Then I went to my second LFS and got the same answer. Two for two. Lastly, when I called the company selling said fish, I went over all the same questions with the owner. Got the same answers. In talking to the owner I also confirmed my research on the other 5 species. Compatibility, temp, high or low current, feeding, water params, spacing, etc.

Only then did I submit my order (which is shipping on Monday *happy dance*)

My point is, google helps some. After you've gotten your core base of answers then you turn to where the practical knowledge is: the people who deal with these things on a daily basis.

Last edited:
Rant

Am tired of all the experts on here pipping up in threads saying your tank isn't big enough for your tank. All the original poster was asking is do I need water in a fish tank.. Sarcasm....

In grade school I did a science fair project on fish growth rate vs. Living space. I had three tanks of goldfish 1 gal, 5 gal, and 10gal tanks were used. Five fish per. I weighed the fish, down to grams, every other day. What I found is that in the largest tank they did in fact grow faster and larger. So I am a believer that a fish will grow to a rate that matches it's living space. Most ppl on here like myself know a blue hippo isn't supposed to go in a 65 I do but like most ppl here plan to upgrade tank or give it new home oneday.

Am tired of all the experts on here pipping up in threads saying your tank isn't big enough for your tank. All the original poster was asking is do I need water in a fish tank.. Sarcasm....

In grade school I did a science fair project on fish growth rate vs. Living space. I had three tanks of goldfish 1 gal, 5 gal, and 10gal tanks were used. Five fish per. I weighed the fish, down to grams, every other day. What I found is that in the largest tank they did in fact grow faster and larger. So I am a believer that a fish will grow to a rate that matches it's living space. Most ppl on here like myself know a blue hippo isn't supposed to go in a 65 I do but like most ppl here plan to upgrade tank or give it new home oneday.

Most people say they will upgrade, but honestly, many do not. It could be for many reasons, but they don't do it. Take a look at graigslist some time. You'll see set up like a 29g with a 10 inch oscar in it. It breaks my heart to see that.

If I see fish I like I start with the basic research:

what size will they get (average)

what do they eat

what special needs do they have (salt, low current, high current etc)

temperment/ compatibility

Then I plan the tank going by the adult size of the fish. Unless I already have the tank on hand. Then I research what can fit and be happy in it.

Last edited:
Bpeckj said:

That is an awesome science project! I went to the international science and engineering fair when I was in high school but my project was on bacterial resistance to .. well never mind that.

With any science project a significant amount of research is required from legitiment sources, and trust me those international people check the sources because these projects actually get published. (i guess that means I am a published scientist? Lol) I am curious as to what your research revealed on goldfish, because if I remember correctly, Goldfish secrete an enzyme or pheremone of some sort that when it reaches a specific concentration their growth gets stunted and they stop growing. However some fish will continue to grow and may become deformed if they are forced to live on a tank that is too small.

For your project to be credible you would have to do the same project with every breed of fish you want to apply the results to. In this case you can only apply the results to goldfish and to the specific type of goldfish you used.

Also you were limited to time and did you factor in water changes? There are so many variables. You could do one in one 10 gallon tank and only do a pwc every week, and do another one in another 10 gallon tank with daily water changes. Now that would be interesting to see of it made a difference!

Not to mention you would have to factor in water parameters and filtration.

Science is amazing.

A science project is fine and dandy... but unless you compare the lifespan of said fish, you're not going to see the detrimental effects. Sure, a big fish isn't going to grow as quickly in a small tank as it would a big tank. What you didn't consider is that it also isn't going to live as long, healthy, and happy. The fact is, you can get upset, mad, whatever... but none of us will willingly sit back and watch someone recommend a fish that gets too big for the CURRENT TANK, nor will we pass up on informing someone that their fish are too big. I don't care if you plan to get a bigger tank. I plan to win the lottery one day. Doesn't mean it's going to happen.

I'll jump in here-

As far as those who "can't afford" or "don't have the time"- reminds me of those with dogs covered in fleas, have heartworms, and complain about the cost if heartworm treatment (and flea treatment, and....).

Responsible pet ownership, regardless if dog, cat, ferret, hamster, lizard, snake, fish or otherwise is still responsible pet ownership. There are certain needs and expenses that WILL come along, but good practices and upkeep will minimize those.

As far ad grammar/spelling/etc: we have folks from all sorts of backgrounds here, from highly-educated to near-3rd worlders. Some who have little background or skills with English, yet we can understand those difficulties and deal with them. The problem comes when people with no self respect or respect for others make no attempt at all.

I will note, however, that the iPhone users play a love/hate battle with their devices that want to autocorrect a lot of words that are actually correct, and we don always catch it!

Now- I will add my own rant/pet peeve- the constant threads of unhealthy/dying fish by PetsMart/Petco/other retailer customers who (supposedly under instructions from helpful employee of said company):
"I set up my tank and let the water circulate for 15 minutes before I dumped the fish in (with a sad list of often incompatible and way over-sized over the tank new inhabitants). Fish did great fir a day, then the fish started acting funny/gasping for breath/got spots/fuzz/et-al and then just died for no reason".

Our response- read these posts/articles on fishless cycling, or fish-in cycling.

And so often some excuse fir not being able to follow any of the directions.

Water changes? Every day? But....

Arrrgghhhh!!!

I have the HTC EVO and use the app as well. The auto correct and touchscreen keypad can be irritating. But over time you customize it and can add words to the dictionary or turn off the auto correct. My husband is forever posting crazy things to Facebook because he doesn't proofread before he posts. Proofreading and editing :) I am on my EVO right now actually.

Auto-correct on an iPhone is so annoying, you have no idea. I constantly switch between texting and going on the forums, and for some reason GBR and have are always auto-correcting each other whenever I type them into have or GBR! Quite annoying and you cannot seem to turn off the feature on the phone, grr. :facepalm:

Truth is...most people can't upgrade because they can't afford to, don't have the room, don't have the time, or some other big factors.

Grade school project? As in middle school?

Some fish don't stop growing regardless of tank size. A pleco will not stop growing to its inevitable size because it's in a small tank. That's called stunting a fish, which isn't good for the fish at all.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Auto-correct on an iPhone is so annoying, you have no idea. I constantly switch between texting and going on the forums, and for some reason GBR and have are always auto-correcting each other whenever I type them into have or GBR! Quite annoying and you cannot seem to turn off the feature on the phone, grr. :facepalm:

You can turn off auto correct! It is in the settings. The unfortunate reality for me - my typing without autocorrect is even worse!!!!!

I had a thought about the app/smartphone/iphone debate. Auto correct is annoying, and touch screens (mine especially) can be difficult. With people who don't text much I don't see this as a problem, but the bad grammar, and abbreviated words may be habit more than anything. I don't use the text abbreviations when I am texting, but I do shorten my sentences. If I can't say it in about 8-9 words, I usually don't text it, I just call. The few time I have tried to post from the app I found myself writing really short sentences out of habit, just because I was using my phone. Maybe those who text a lot and use text abbreviations do it out of habit when they use the app.

Doesn't change how frustrating it may be, and and the arguments that they should put the effort in. Just a thought.

Truth is...most people can't upgrade because they can't afford to, don't have the room, don't have the time, or some other big factors.

Grade school project? As in middle school?

Some fish don't stop growing regardless of tank size. A pleco will not stop growing to its inevitable size because it's in a small tank. That's called stunting a fish, which isn't good for the fish at all.

I think the biggest underlying issue is the way that people word their concern. It's sometimes a total 'freakout' moment with a 'OMGZ JOO BETTA GET A GINORMOUS TANK ASAPSTATOMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!' type response.

Of course, knowing many posters here will lead one to understand that the people are just concerned for the well being of the fish, but I could see how someone new could take it as an elitist overreaction.

I think it's important to mention the tank size issue, but also take time to say something nice and make the person feel welcome as well.

I'll give an example that I just came across recently. I recently joined a bird forum, since we have a room full of parrots now, and I asked a behavioral question about the pair of quaker parrots that I have.

I asked if the bonded breeding pair of quakers that we recently bought would ever warm up to us, or if there was anything we could do to make them more social.

One of the responses to my thread was literally "Omg, you bought a breeding pair, you cannot separate them. You should've thought twice about buying a breeding pair yadda yadda yadda"

The person was obviously jumping to conclusions with my post, and in the lack of response in general just turned me off from that forum completely.

So I definitely understand where some people are coming from.

( for reference, New Quaker Pair - Parrot Forum - Parrot Owner's Community , and the picture response was my girlfriend who happened to come across the forum as well and decided to intervene lol)

What really gets me as far as grammar is concerned is punctuation abuse, rather than omission.

what am i supposed to do??????????????? My fish are dying!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure why. The twenty question marks annoy me more than the capitalization issue.

Back
Top Bottom