Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-26-2012, 12:34 AM   #1041
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury

Hello aaron...

Guess I was the only one who thought the snails were a good idea. Please tell your better and possibly smarter half, I'm on her side. Snails thrive on leftovers. If you limit the leftovers, you have a manageable snail population.

I keep large, planted tanks and have a few snails that remove a dead fish or a decaying plant leaf once in a while, but then, I only feed my fish a couple of times a week, so there's very little leftover food.

Anyway, good luck with that 10 G. I could never get the hang of maintaining small tanks. The water was always out of balance, so I went to 38 Gs and larger. They're much more forgiving of mistakes in tank management.

Above everything else, have fun!

B
I must say that ur post kinda offended me alil bit by saying "possibly smarter half". Kinda made it sound like I was being called stupid. I'm sure that's not what you meant though. Atleast I hope not! Anyways the 10g is just for trying to keep fry pretty much. Its not always going to be stocked. I don't really care for small tanks either for the same reasons. Our main tank is a 46g bow front community.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:49 AM   #1042
Aquarium Advice Freak

I fantasized about going saltwater with the 150 and giving the goldfish back to my pond friend. Got cold feet when researching x_x @_@

Old 08-26-2012, 06:15 AM   #1043
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearancepuppy View Post
I fantasized about going saltwater with the 150 and giving the goldfish back to my pond friend. Got cold feet when researching x_x @_@
lol

its not that hard
it just takes patients , lots of research helps a lot
basically the first 6 months are the hardest but it gets better once you get everything established
just take it slow you will have better results in long run
its more the will power of not adding to much at one time . better things happen when you add a little each month rather than all at once , it helps your tank get stronger and healthier ,
I had a salt tank 10+ years ago it crashed in the first 6 months because I got carried away , not giving the tank a chance to catch up on the bio load ,
so just remember take it slow , it takes any where from 2 to 8 weeks depending on how you cycle the tank before you can safely add your first fish , after your cycle just add 1 or 2 things at a time since it takes time for the load to catch up ,
best advice I can give Start with a small clean up crew
and dont buy the biggest most expensive fish you can find to start with , and always research what fish will do good in your system weather its a fowlr or a reef tank
start cheap so if anything don't make it your not bankrupt you can always trade up in time when the tanks more stable for nicer fish

hope you find the tank of your dreams

I know I sure did

54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #1044
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearancepuppy
Did your bank account have a say in this?lol
Old 08-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #1045
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mea Culpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronjohn20 View Post
I must say that ur post kinda offended me alil bit by saying "possibly smarter half". Kinda made it sound like I was being called stupid. I'm sure that's not what you meant though. Atleast I hope not! Anyways the 10g is just for trying to keep fry pretty much. Its not always going to be stocked. I don't really care for small tanks either for the same reasons. Our main tank is a 46g bow front community.
Apologies aaron if you were offended by my post! Just a little humor intended. Obviously, very little. Apparently, I need to stick to trying to offer some helpful advice on the subject of aquariums and not try to be a comedian.

Your understanding would be appreciated.

B
Old 08-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #1046
Aquarium Advice Addict

B, I agree with you on the snails and feeding.

I currently have a 55g with pfs and a bucket of salt waiting to be set up but I too keep chickening out.

Sometimes learning from the mistakes of others is all the education and experience you need.
bigbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #1047
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury

Apologies aaron if you were offended by my post! Just a little humor intended. Obviously, very little. Apparently, I need to stick to trying to offer some helpful advice on the subject of aquariums and not try to be a comedian.

Your understanding would be appreciated.

B
No harm done. We currently have prob around 10 snails in the tank. I may just let them grow and then move them to the community tank. I would move them to the oscars tank as his gets dirtyer but I'm afraid he would have snacks then
Old 08-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #1048
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra1990

Did your bank account have a say in this?lol
It is not speaking to me at the moment. :P
Old 08-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #1049
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed

lol

its not that hard
it just takes patients , lots of research helps a lot
basically the first 6 months are the hardest but it gets better once you get everything established
just take it slow you will have better results in long run
its more the will power of not adding to much at one time . better things happen when you add a little each month rather than all at once , it helps your tank get stronger and healthier ,
I had a salt tank 10+ years ago it crashed in the first 6 months because I got carried away , not giving the tank a chance to catch up on the bio load ,
so just remember take it slow , it takes any where from 2 to 8 weeks depending on how you cycle the tank before you can safely add your first fish , after your cycle just add 1 or 2 things at a time since it takes time for the load to catch up ,
best advice I can give Start with a small clean up crew
and dont buy the biggest most expensive fish you can find to start with , and always research what fish will do good in your system weather its a fowlr or a reef tank
start cheap so if anything don't make it your not bankrupt you can always trade up in time when the tanks more stable for nicer fish

hope you find the tank of your dreams

I know I sure did
The 150 got emptied today and fish are in a barrel with the Marineland 530 running in it. I am going to Lowes later to scope out pond supplies. Then the 150 will be thoroughly cleaned and set up inside. With no fish. I am liking the idea of tinier fish ATM but right now just going to take my time with this.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #1050
Aquarium Advice Addict

This Sunday was different than any other Sunday. I usually do nothing, even feed, on this day. But last week was a barn burner at work. So today I did an extra large pwc on the 29 and pulled 90-95% of my hornwort out as it was clamming the entire tank for itself. Normal 15% pwc on the 10 g along with a gravel vac. Interesting tid bit, after I cleaned everything up, I noticed all of my ghost shrimp in the 29 were out and real active. I never see more than 1-2 and I have around 15!

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com