Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Community Forum > Aquaria Off-Topic

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-26-2012, 12:34 AM   #1041
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
aaronjohn20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ohio
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury

Hello aaron...

Guess I was the only one who thought the snails were a good idea. Please tell your better and possibly smarter half, I'm on her side. Snails thrive on leftovers. If you limit the leftovers, you have a manageable snail population.

I keep large, planted tanks and have a few snails that remove a dead fish or a decaying plant leaf once in a while, but then, I only feed my fish a couple of times a week, so there's very little leftover food.

Anyway, good luck with that 10 G. I could never get the hang of maintaining small tanks. The water was always out of balance, so I went to 38 Gs and larger. They're much more forgiving of mistakes in tank management.

Above everything else, have fun!

B
I must say that ur post kinda offended me alil bit by saying "possibly smarter half". Kinda made it sound like I was being called stupid. I'm sure that's not what you meant though. Atleast I hope not! Anyways the 10g is just for trying to keep fry pretty much. Its not always going to be stocked. I don't really care for small tanks either for the same reasons. Our main tank is a 46g bow front community.
__________________

__________________
aaronjohn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:49 AM   #1042
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
clearancepuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 340
I fantasized about going saltwater with the 150 and giving the goldfish back to my pond friend. Got cold feet when researching x_x @_@
__________________

__________________
clearancepuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:15 AM   #1043
Macro Addict
Community Moderator
 
54seaweed's Avatar



POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 6,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearancepuppy View Post
I fantasized about going saltwater with the 150 and giving the goldfish back to my pond friend. Got cold feet when researching x_x @_@
lol

its not that hard
it just takes patients , lots of research helps a lot
basically the first 6 months are the hardest but it gets better once you get everything established
just take it slow you will have better results in long run
its more the will power of not adding to much at one time . better things happen when you add a little each month rather than all at once , it helps your tank get stronger and healthier ,
I had a salt tank 10+ years ago it crashed in the first 6 months because I got carried away , not giving the tank a chance to catch up on the bio load ,
so just remember take it slow , it takes any where from 2 to 8 weeks depending on how you cycle the tank before you can safely add your first fish , after your cycle just add 1 or 2 things at a time since it takes time for the load to catch up ,
best advice I can give Start with a small clean up crew
and dont buy the biggest most expensive fish you can find to start with , and always research what fish will do good in your system weather its a fowlr or a reef tank
start cheap so if anything don't make it your not bankrupt you can always trade up in time when the tanks more stable for nicer fish


hope you find the tank of your dreams

I know I sure did
__________________
Fish are like lifesavers
They come in different colors

54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #1044
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Tetra1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Omaha Nebraska
Posts: 1,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearancepuppy
I fantasized about going saltwater with the 150 and giving the goldfish back to my pond friend. Got cold feet when researching x_x @_@
Did your bank account have a say in this?lol
__________________
Tetra1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 11:54 AM   #1045
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BBradbury's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,999
Mea Culpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronjohn20 View Post
I must say that ur post kinda offended me alil bit by saying "possibly smarter half". Kinda made it sound like I was being called stupid. I'm sure that's not what you meant though. Atleast I hope not! Anyways the 10g is just for trying to keep fry pretty much. Its not always going to be stocked. I don't really care for small tanks either for the same reasons. Our main tank is a 46g bow front community.
Apologies aaron if you were offended by my post! Just a little humor intended. Obviously, very little. Apparently, I need to stick to trying to offer some helpful advice on the subject of aquariums and not try to be a comedian.

Your understanding would be appreciated.

B
__________________
"Fear not, my young apprentice. Just change the tank water."
BBradbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:25 PM   #1046
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bigbanker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,381
B, I agree with you on the snails and feeding.

I currently have a 55g with pfs and a bucket of salt waiting to be set up but I too keep chickening out.
__________________
It is a fish eat fish world!

Sometimes learning from the mistakes of others is all the education and experience you need.
bigbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #1047
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
aaronjohn20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ohio
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBradbury

Apologies aaron if you were offended by my post! Just a little humor intended. Obviously, very little. Apparently, I need to stick to trying to offer some helpful advice on the subject of aquariums and not try to be a comedian.

Your understanding would be appreciated.

B
No harm done. We currently have prob around 10 snails in the tank. I may just let them grow and then move them to the community tank. I would move them to the oscars tank as his gets dirtyer but I'm afraid he would have snacks then
__________________
aaronjohn20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:14 PM   #1048
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
clearancepuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra1990

Did your bank account have a say in this?lol
It is not speaking to me at the moment. :P
__________________
clearancepuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #1049
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
clearancepuppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed

lol

its not that hard
it just takes patients , lots of research helps a lot
basically the first 6 months are the hardest but it gets better once you get everything established
just take it slow you will have better results in long run
its more the will power of not adding to much at one time . better things happen when you add a little each month rather than all at once , it helps your tank get stronger and healthier ,
I had a salt tank 10+ years ago it crashed in the first 6 months because I got carried away , not giving the tank a chance to catch up on the bio load ,
so just remember take it slow , it takes any where from 2 to 8 weeks depending on how you cycle the tank before you can safely add your first fish , after your cycle just add 1 or 2 things at a time since it takes time for the load to catch up ,
best advice I can give Start with a small clean up crew
and dont buy the biggest most expensive fish you can find to start with , and always research what fish will do good in your system weather its a fowlr or a reef tank
start cheap so if anything don't make it your not bankrupt you can always trade up in time when the tanks more stable for nicer fish

hope you find the tank of your dreams

I know I sure did
The 150 got emptied today and fish are in a barrel with the Marineland 530 running in it. I am going to Lowes later to scope out pond supplies. Then the 150 will be thoroughly cleaned and set up inside. With no fish. I am liking the idea of tinier fish ATM but right now just going to take my time with this.
__________________
clearancepuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:08 PM   #1050
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Tetra1990's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Omaha Nebraska
Posts: 1,617
This Sunday was different than any other Sunday. I usually do nothing, even feed, on this day. But last week was a barn burner at work. So today I did an extra large pwc on the 29 and pulled 90-95% of my hornwort out as it was clamming the entire tank for itself. Normal 15% pwc on the 10 g along with a gravel vac. Interesting tid bit, after I cleaned everything up, I noticed all of my ghost shrimp in the 29 were out and real active. I never see more than 1-2 and I have around 15!
__________________

__________________
Tetra1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.