What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yesterday I removed my dead Kribensis. She seemed fine all week then poof went to do pwc and low and behold it was doing the side stroke. Thinking of maybe adding another Roseline to the tank. Who knows? All I really know it the replacement is not happening now or in near future.

Changed out the play sand (yuck!) in my 75 gallon, replaced with eco-complete, redid the aquascape, fish are really happy with all the new hiding places. (y)

stared at my fishies some more. i think my jewels laid eggs again. i took out about half the java moss in my 55

Mrc8858 said:
Have you looked for blasting sand..they sell 50lbs for like $5 at tractor supply co

I have been hunting, but couldn't find a supplier in Victoria.

Shifted one of the neons to my 5 gallon betta tank in prep to swap out my main tank for a 29 gallon tank. The plan was to give him a day to adjust and then move the other two. Then I would swap the tanks. But.... The betta got nasty quickly. So, he went into a bucket and all three neons got his tank. I cleaned out the 20 gallon. Rinsed 14 kgs of black sand for ages and ages. Soaked my filter in vinegar and water to try to fix it (no luck). Running my other filter with diluted bleach in a bucket. Also soaking my rocks and my heater in the bleach. I really don't want to risk bringing over any of the Cyanobacteria.

Waiting for the sand to settle so I can arrange my rocks and branches and such. I think the betta and neons will have to stay put for the night.

I also weeded my garden and planted lettuces, spinach, peas and spring onions while I rinsed the sand. And cooked a roast while I was doing the rest. :) Busy day!

Had a complete disaster! Added one ghost shrimp to each of the divided sections of my 26g Betta tank. Woke up to two eaten bettas, one male and two females missing chunks of fins! Spent all morning tearing the tank apart and catching the little devils. My one remaining male (from this tank) and my 5 girls are happy and back in their divided tank. The shrimp are in a bucket awaiting death via goldfish. {insert evil laugh here}

Mumma.of.two said:
Had a complete disaster! Added one ghost shrimp to each of the divided sections of my 26g Betta tank. Woke up to two eaten bettas, one male and two females missing chunks of fins! Spent all morning tearing the tank apart and catching the little devils. My one remaining male (from this tank) and my 5 girls are happy and back in their divided tank. The shrimp are in a bucket awaiting death via goldfish. {insert evil laugh here}

I always thought that betas were a threat to shrimp, not the other way around!

added a treaser chest to my 36g lol.

I got 2 paradise gouramis for my 29. kinda worried but I think thell do okay with my 8 neons and 5 serpae tetras...:/

OOOOoh I got a aqueon water changer for my sink. I LOVE IT :'D still geting used to it but I love it a lot.

Added a 3" clown loach. PWC, replanted a few plants that got uprooted by my pleco.

fed all my new fish for the first time :)
I went to an aquarium auction yesterday and got a lot of new friends! ! including a proven breeding pair of albino long fin BN plecos for $14.

Made a pleasant trip to my lfs and bought some flourish comp and excel. Now i just news to figure out how much i need to dose

smomus said:
Picked up some sunburst platys and red wag platys along with some mystery snails for my sons tank. I believe at least one is pregnant..
For my daughters tank 2 Mollies and a mystery snail. Was going to move the 2 I already have, but when we got home one was dead :(
After they all have been qt for a while will move a mystery snail or 2 to the main tank and the remaining Molly to my daughters tank.
On a side more I actually got good info at my local petsmart today. My son asked about a striped fish he really wanted (can't remember what it was) and the sales man actually told him no because his tank wasn't big enough!
Walmart had some green spotted puffer fish. SO cute! They would follow my finger up and down the tank wall. Totally wanted one or 2 but I don't have a brackish tank and I've vowed never to buy fish at Walmart.
Any way that was my day..

Found myself in Walmart again today. I always go look at the fish anymore. Those adorable green spotted puffers? Ich all over everyone of them! And all the tanks that were connected to it. :(

Anyway added white gravel to my Molly tank and rearranged it some.

Mumma.of.two said:

Shrimp revenge! I'm sorry for your betta loss. Who would have thunk right?

Yesterday was a disaster

I fed and found my beta being eaten alive by my angel.
Removed him from the moss wall
Tore down the moss wall and pit he java back.
Noticed I had the beginnings of ich
Started a heat treatment.
One o my neon tetras was beat up pretty bad.
My beta is now sick and in seperation because I don't want to put him in his old vase.

Maybe not today as I spent whole weekend working on them, but got my moonlight up and working :)

Attachments

• image-2711724383.jpg
    image-2711724383.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 84
I fed and found my beta being eaten alive by my angel.

One o my neon tetras was beat up pretty bad.

My beta is now sick and in seperation because I don't want to put him in his old vase.

When you have incompatible fish, like the angelfish and betta, the tank is bound for disaster and illness. Ich can be caused by stress and it looks like the aggression in your tank between the species caused a hot mess.

The first word of advice people get when asking about bettas in community tanks is to have a good backup plan, which means a minimum of a 5 gallon tank (cycled) that the betta can be moved into when/if the community tank does not work.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gave away a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon tank on freecycle today. (y)

Planned on doing nothing until I walked up to the tank and saw my red zebra trying to imitate the swiss alps. There was a pile of sand over 1' tall covering 3 plants. I don't think he was too happy when I pushed all the sand back under the rocks. Unfortunately I was in a rush to get to work so tonight I will be pulling rocks out to make sure sand is under everything. I noticed quite a few shifted more than I would like.

Give my glass and back wall a little scrub to remove excess algae and it's Tuesday so it blood worm night

Last night I ordered a new heater for the 20 gallon, a new light hood for the 30 gallon, a 17 lb bag of salt mix, and a new nitrate test kit from petco as they had an earth day sale. Wooooo new stuff! Also I did a water change on the 5 gallon last night. Today I'm changing the water in the 20 gallon and the betta cube and possibly making a divider of sorts for my 5 gallon and maybe I'll see if I can get a ride to pick up a lightbulb for that tank. Hehe, nothing like having a test to study for to motivate me to procrastinate via tank maintenance!

Back
Top Bottom