What Did You do With Your Tank Today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What Did I Do?

Water changes as usual. Half or more of the water is replaced just about weekly. Tank sizes range from 20 gallons with 8 Rosey Danios and 3 Fancy Guppies. To the 60 gallon with several Plecos, Corydoras, Platys and more Fancy Guppies. 6 tanks in all, an extra 55 to grow out my favorite floating plant, Hornwort.

Here's a tip. Change out a lot of tank water and do it routinely, like every 2 weeks at least, more often is better and you'll have no tank water problems. that's means no unhealthy fish or sickly plants.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

Went to MACNA here is my highlight pics
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Autumnsky's Album: MACNA 2014

Found several Macroalgaes to bring home

Frilly Red one looks like fern BIG handful free

Halimeda 5.

3 bunches of Codium Repens (I think) 10.

A start of Turtle Grass 4.

60074-albums13960-picture67374.jpg

60074-albums13960-picture67375.jpg

60074-albums13960-picture67376.jpg

Here are some pics from the convention and highlights.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/60074-albums14113.html

Found 2 fish Saddleback Clowns 2/$15. from Sustainable Aquatics. These are medium small right now and will be great in the larger tank when I set it up pretty soon.

They are swimming together and look great! Lights are off for them to chill so pics later.

Last edited:

Halimeda 5.

Found 2 fish Saddleback Clowns 2/$15. from Sustainable Aquatics. These are medium small right now and will be great in the larger tank when I set it up pretty soon.

They are swimming together and look great! Lights are off for them to chill so pics later.

Cant wait to see the clowns. Looks like you had fun! Those are some nice looking tanks and the macroalgaes you picked up are looking good! Plans for that tank? I always wanted to set up a fully macroalgae tank for seahorses!

Cant wait to see the clowns. Looks like you had fun! Those are some nice looking tanks and the macroalgaes you picked up are looking good! Plans for that tank? I always wanted to set up a fully macroalgae tank for seahorses!

The Clowns are cool, kinda wish I had got the black and white ones...since they stay a bit smaller. I wish I had $ to get both, blasted auto repairs.:rolleyes:

Ok Paul, just a sorta dark pic of them. They are sure busy little guys, I fed them and they didn't really care for my food, it is pelleted and I bet they will eat flake. They ate a couple of them, but would take them and spit them out, lol. Trying some Marine flake....., yup, ate like they were starving! Thank goodness I got a free container at macna. (y) They have to like it, it has a picture of a clown fish!

60074-albums13960-picture67377.jpg

As for the Algae tank, it is all just thrown in, I hadn't really decided to use it and keep it as a MacroAlgae tank, but after today that is exactly what it will be. I am going to fix it up, I have Feather Calerpa, a little bit of Grape and a 1.5" chunk of a flat nub like cup sort of one in the Calerpa Vase, I will combine them into a better scaped tank. :D A simple, fun little garden.

Last edited:

Halimeda 5.

60074-albums13960-picture67374.jpg

60074-albums13960-picture67375.jpg

60074-albums13960-picture67376.jpg

Weren't those long fin clowns incredible! We got our picture taken with robbie redneck from tanked who was just walking around. We got a ton of tee shirts and food samples and rock rubble and reef plugs and my friend won a 5 coral prize pack from ORA and got them out of that awesome round tank they have! I got to talk with the bML and FINNEX guys about lighting and my friend bought 5-10 corals. Had a really awesome time. :dance::dance: Hope MACNA comes back to the beautiful denver convention center again! :)

Wow you guys did a lot, all I did was feed the fish, do a few water changes, and relocate two tanks from the kitchen to the living room :p

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wow you guys did a lot, all I did was feed the fish, do a few water changes, and relocate two tanks from the kitchen to the living room :p

Yeah, sounds like they had fun. I bought a new timer for one of my lights and woke up with the light on this morning. Yesterday afternoon when I hooked it up, I set the current time to 5:00 AM and not 5:00 PM. Duh moment.

Did pwc on my 6.6G and 12G Shrimp and nano fish Edge tanks and did evap fills on the rest of FW.

The 10 (hoping still 10) little Celestial Pearl Danios are moving into the 12G Edge and that will make ~23. 3-5 of them are going to a friend in a couple weeks.

The remaining fish will be moving into the 72G today, but due to the lower pH in the 72G, there will need to be a bit of a lengthy acclimation. Also hoping to do a pwc on the 72G.

Then the 35G will be empty and I am wondering about making it a SW. :angel:

Haven't heard back from dd friends family about taking their tank and FW fish.

SW- My Acan coral finally opened up better today, the new Clowns seem to be doing great, but they are scaring my little Clown Goby. So now it is hiding ALL the time, even when I feed :(

Need to do pwc on the 15G tank.

My MacroAlgae 5G Chi tank needs a rescape, I am enjoying looking at my little "garden".

I have one little Mushroom that needs some help, something is growing around it and it is NOT a happy camper. So I'll need to do something about that when I do my maintenance.

Low Maintenance Tank

Started another tank with the roots of Chinese Evergreens in the tank. The roots of this land plant take in all forms of nitrogen produced by the dissolving fish wastes and maintain pure water conditions. No water changes needed, just top off the tank weekly to replace the water that's lost to evaporation. Had a similar 30 gallon tank that ran for 2 years with Fancy Guppies. This one is a 55 gallon. Moving toward lower maintenance tanks. So much easier and the fish do as well as in my other tanks that get 50 percent water changes every week or so with the standard aquatic plants.

B

Do you have the scientific name of the evergreens? Very interested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Started another tank with the roots of Chinese Evergreens in the tank. The roots of this land plant take in all forms of nitrogen produced by the dissolving fish wastes and maintain pure water conditions. No water changes needed, just top off the tank weekly to replace the water that's lost to evaporation. Had a similar 30 gallon tank that ran for 2 years with Fancy Guppies. This one is a 55 gallon. Moving toward lower maintenance tanks. So much easier and the fish do as well as in my other tanks that get 50 percent water changes every week or so with the standard aquatic plants.

B

Here you are making things easier all the time, and I just keep trying to make them harder :lol:

Do you ever have problems with GH build up with low KH in my Colorado water I have to be very careful of unstable levels causing crashes.

I was gifted a Aquafarm Betta tank. Right now it is just holding misc aquatic plants inside as a grow out. I haven't "planted" anything in the top yet. For sure I will use the houseplant Arrowhead, as I have several of these in my "planted bowl"
60074-albums12102-picture54575.jpg

brennae, you can get these and a few others in the terrarium section in Petco, and they come without any soil on them, it is hit or miss if they have a good selection and if they keep them watered.

I am thinking of some additional plants too. BBradbury, do you already have a thread for these plant names and ifo for this set up can you post it? If not you want to make one?

Evergreen Name

Do you have the scientific name of the evergreens? Very interested.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello bre...

It's "Aglaonema". Specifically the Cutlass variety. It works the best. Attached is a pic of the latest tank. This one combines the "Ag" plant, Modestum variety and some Hornwort I had too much of from another tank. The Ag plants do well with just room (ambient) light, but I'm using a shop light with a couple of florescent bulbs for the benefit of the Hornwort.

The leaves of the land plant have to be above water with the roots under the water and aerated with an air stone for good nutrient use or the land plant dies. Once the new leaves begin to grow, they'll do fine underwater.

Never a need to test the tank water. The ammonia and nitrite are always "0" and the nitrates are typically in the low 20 ppm range. Provided your plant is large enough. This one is up to the task. A near perfect environment for some Fancy Guppies or other fish that are on the hardy side.

B

img_3032570_0_58cb67d9c8c7b582e1909c61a702274e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Land Plants in FW Aquariums

Hello Autumn...

This information is pretty much "old news". Being from northern Colorado too, we likely have similar water sources. Have never had a problem with the water chemistry using the "Ag" plants. I have some of these plants in other tanks too, but the plants are a bit smaller and the the tanks are large, so I still do the water changes. However, with several large plants in a tank, you could skip the water changes. Attached is a pic of another tank. This one does require water changes.

B

img_3032588_0_8ee09115308f2fccf4ea903f1911263c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG].

Only got the Angel moved to the 16G, and the Rainbows moved to the 72G and the CPD to the 12G.

Didn't get around to doing the Cardinals and the 2 Cories from the 35G still to move. So far so good.

The 16G will be the holding area for a week.

Back
Top Bottom